main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Delete Account/Change Username

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Tarkus, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I decided to change my name from Darth Tarkus to Darth Tarkas (from an Emerson, Lake & Palmer reference to an Edgar Rice Burroughs reference), but I couldn't create another account because you only allow one per email. So I tried to figure out how to delete this account, but I failed. So if someone could either delete my account, change the username for me, or tell me how to do either of those things, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Unfortunately, we can't change usernames or delete accounts. You can, however, sign up for a new account with a second email.

Also, IIRC, the system recognizes name@gmail.com and na.me@gmail.com as two separate emails but Gmail sends the mail to the same address either way.

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, ^that works. :)

4. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Crap! I was really not expecting that. Always in motion the future is. I feel uneasy with that option but it seems like the best I've got, thanks for the suggestion!

5. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Hmmmm... My email is fluxoffate@gmail.com and I made the email for the new account fluxo.ffate@gmail.com and I don't seem to be receiving the email I should be...

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Just a stupid question, you didn't misspelled it, right? (Just checking the basics. :) )

And it should work, since I'm using that trick as well. Maybe you just need to wait a few more minutes. :)

7. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I just tried to do it again just to make sure and it said that email's already in use. And I still got nothin'... :(

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, that's good. :)

Sometimes it takes a bit to get the confirmation email. Be patient, young padawan! ;) :)
    (Personally I would give the system 24h, although I know that's a very long time and shouldn't be "normal", but we can't do anything to push the system sadly.)

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Did you get your email? There doesn't seem to be a problem with the mail server as a new user who registered after you has posted, so they got their email.

If you're still lacking yours, I'd go with the old username and we could see about renaming your id once we move to the new boards.

10. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah I still didn't get the email, and when I created this account I got the email immediately so I'm thinkin' it's probably not on its way.

11. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I tried to make the fluxo.ffate@gmail.com account to see if I would get the email, and it turns out someone already has that email! So assuming that person hasn't confirmed the account, is there still a chance to delete the current Darth_Tarkas account I tried to make since hopefully it's not confirmed, or is it set in stone regardless? If it could be deleted I could make an alternate email to sign it up under.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    You guys sure you don't want a sticky thread for this?

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Unfortunately we can't delete accounts.

14. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    So if no one confirms the Darth_Tarkas account at fluxo.ffate@gmail.com, it doesn't eventually expire or anything? It's just forever unconfirmed and that screen name is permanently unavailable? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, I'm just trying to hope there may be extra options as long as the account is unconfirmed...

15. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    [not sarcastic]
    Just a thought, we're talking about a system-generated e-mail sent to (what gmail would treat as) an alias of your account... sounds like the perfect recipe for something ending up in your spam folder. Have you checked?

edit:-

[flippant, but actually serious and hopeful]
    You're willing to change IDs when the board move takes place? Can I put myself down for ask-the-honeybadgers?

16. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    The problem is that someone actually has the email fluxo.ffate@gmail.com, I know because I tried to take it to see if I would get the email. So I could check but I'm pretty confident it's not in my junk mail.

And yeah I'm more than willing to wait till the boards change to get my new name, that's actually where I was going with this next. If there's still nothing that can be done even though account was likely never confirmed, I would like to fervently request that that account NOT carry over to the new boards so I can take that username after the move.

17. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    You're best off checking just to be sure. It might not let you log onto that account because it thinks you have the account, if it doesn't register the period.

18. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Does anyone else have gmail? I know this sounds dumb, but I can't find my junkmail folder. Also, I got the email in my inbox when I created this account, but I don't know if that would make a difference.

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Try this link

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#spam

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    lol

21. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    @halibut

The link worked, but the activation email wasn't in the spam folder.

@ApolloSmileGirl

:(

So who do I go about asking to not carry over the Darth_Tarkas account to the mew board?

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    We can worry about that once we move. Our options here are limited as we can't delete or rename accounts. Hopefully we'll have more flexibility in that area on the new boards. Once the dust has settled there you can remind us about sorting this out.

23. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    [halpful]

Given the trouble you have already gone to over this, including an attempt to register a gmail account with your current google id with a full stop (period) in the middle, why not - and this may be a radical suggestion - create another e-mail account? If you greatly fear (and who wouldn't?) missing out on a future missive from TheForce.net, you can - with gmail - import messages from other accounts, including one set up purely to register here with a new name.

(Open your main Gmail account > Settings > Accounts & Import > Import Mail & Contacts > enter details of the e-mail account you have opened for your new account here... voila, any mail sent to your new e-mail address will be picked up by your old (main) one).

If you run into any difficulties, FlareStorm has an excellent thread in YJCC offering compuer tips. Having said that, I completely understand the compulsion to post in Comms. It's the best board on the internet.

24. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah it was my reluctance to do that in the first place that really made me wind up screwing myself. I really didn't want to have to create another email account solely for my account here and it's because I was so desperate to avoid that that I registered the username Darth_Tarkas under the fluxo.ffate@gmail.com email account and now that that hasn't worked that username is unavailable. So at this point the problem is the unavailability of the username rather than my reluctance to start a new email account, thanks for the suggestion though.

@LAJ_FETT

Will do! Also these limited edit times are killing me since I can't fix my typos and I'm ultra-OCD about that, any chance of that changing on the new boards?

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Edit times can vary on different boards. I think Comms is one of the medium ones at an hour. You could always compose your posts in something like Notepad and copy/paste your text here after checking spelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.