main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Die Comic Sans Die: The Typography Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by The_Face, Aug 11, 2009.

1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    If you?re reading something, and it?s not written by hand or plane, it?s probably a typeface (commonly known as a font). Typography is an underappreciated, but essential part of communication ? especially in the digital age when anyone can choose from a large variety of fonts or even create their own. This thread is for questions, tips, and general discussion of the field of typography.

So we?re all on about the same page, here?s a few basic terms to know about typography.

Typeface: This is a set of characters (letters, numbers, symbols) that all go together.

Font: This is the file a computer uses to apply a typeface to something.

Serif: This can be a noun describing the little feet on some characters (seen below) or an adjective for type which utilizes serifs.

[image=http://blog.bottleyourbrand.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/general-blog-images/serif-font.jpg]

Sans Serif: Often shortened to ?Sans? in font names, this just means that a typeface doesn?t have the aforementioned lines. See below again.

[image=http://ilovetypography.com/img/national-klim.gif]

Legibility: The quality of a typeface that allows it to be easily understood. Some type is purposefully not legible, but you should be very careful using it.

Readability: This describes how easy text is to read. Legibility is one part of this, along with spacing, line-length, and positioning of text on the page (or screen)

Comic Sans: [image=http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Trick_arrow/achewood_comicsans_censored.gif]

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Typography is very important in web design, IMO.

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    On the opposite end of font bashing ... I find Calibri to be a very, very good font for Microsoft Word and really great for anything now. Love the new addition in 2007. :D

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Calibri's not bad... but I still tend to stick with Times New Roman most of the time. Not that I do web designing [face_blush]

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    My favourites have to be Garamond and Helvetica.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    My favorite fonts to use when building web sites are Trebuchet MS and Tahoma for normal text, and Times New Roman and Georgia for titles. A good rule of thumb is to always use sans-serif fonts for normal text. Serif fonts should only be used in titles and large text.

Here is a nifty web site for keeping track of common fonts and font families for both Windows and Mac: http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

8. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    Amongst my favourites are:(in no particular order)
    Calibri
    Myriad Pro
    Trebuchet MS
    Aeroportal
    Aller Sans
    Quicksand
    Advent.

and for future reference; the comic you showed there did NOT have comic sans.

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Calibri is great. I personally hope that it becomes an accepted standard along with Times New Roman.

10. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Times New Roman (bolded) is my favorite "regular" font style. Chiller and Tubular are hilarious.

11. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    http://www.xkcd.com/590/

I generally use Helvetica or Veranda for my web stuff. I think my resume is done in Palatino, and my only beef with that font is that it runs large.

In general, if there's a default font I use something else on principal.

12. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    What's wrong with Papyrus? I've always liked that font, and I use it in my fan fiction e-Books for special titles.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    It's an ugly font. It tries to look 'handwritten' but it just looks mechanical. You also can't use it very well in a design. Really, it just won't turn out that well.

As for my favorite fonts, I like: walkway, eurostile, serifsy, and alpha mack.

Alpha Mack is an exception for me, really, as I tend to stay away from script fonts because they look too fake. But I've had awesome results with it.

[image=http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/696/shadowsposterbyfidoalmi.jpg]

An example of how I used serifsy.

[image=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/64/acommonspreadbyfidoalmi.jpg]

And Alpha Mack in use.

Lately, though, I've gotten into taking a boring font like helvetica and distorting it through the use of brushes.

14. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    I seldom use Papyrus. It's really hard for me to make it look decent. Usually a more subtle font does the trick.

I do video editing and when I make titles, my directors generally want a specific font that they found on the computer they were working on. Bouncing the same project between Mac and PC computers it is a bit frustrating not have that font available sometimes. I had not realized how expensive it is to buy fonts!

Courier is standard for screenplays. I see it and I just automatically think "film industry".

I also read a lot of fanfiction and ff.net uses Lucida Grande. I don't like to read fanfiction in any other font any more.

I love the Star Wars (and Harry Potter) fonts out there! They are so fun to use, but I rarely get the opportunity.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Helvetica always works.

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I've actually been involved with a small class on typography in titles this year. One really cool part of it was looking at Kinetic Typography examples -- has anybody heard of it before?

If you search on youtube for it, you'll find plenty of examples.

Most are done to movie quotes. This is a great example of Kinetic Typography. What do you think?

17. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Funny. I always rather liked to use Papyrus and Comic Sans on occasion.

I guess when it comes to font usage, I'm just not your type.

18. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Since it's pretty quiet ... just so you know my friend, I did laugh at that. And then groan. [face_tired] [face_laugh]

19. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Right now I keep the following fonts...

911 Porscha Italics
    Beckett
    Bnkgothm
    Episode1
    Jedi Solid
    LCD 2B/2L/2N/2U
    LCD Bold
    LCD L/N/U
    Por2
    RingM
    RuneEng2
    Starjedi
    Starjhol

20. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Serpentine is a nice, block letter style font. Other than that, for web design I like Arial and Helvetica for Sans Serif, and Georgia for Serif.

21. Destined_Jedi

Destined_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2002
    Even though it's pretty common, I like the Arial font family since it's so clean and crisp--great for design.

22. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    I really like Andy for a fun font.

23. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
  24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000

Woohoo!

25. Salty

Dec 24, 1998
    Nice job!