main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Classics Disney and classic animated Star Wars TV

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Is there a future for the original Clone Wars series, Ewoks and Droids now that Disney is running the ship? As everyone probably knows, LFL has done nothing with these as far as re-releases go for quite a few years, and when they did actually put them out on DVD for a while, it seems like minimal effort was put into giving fans a good product. Now that Disney owns LFL, I'm anticipating that things will be different. Before Disney has some brand new Star Wars content of their own to put out, wouldn't they want to fill the void between now and 2015 a bit by re-releasing some old Star Wars content? Who knows, but I'm feeling optimistic that Disney will want to do something. Disney seems to take a lot of pride in their old animated work, while LFL usually focused entirely on their current projects, ignoring their old work. Maybe these will show up on Netflix, Disney Channel or starwars.com, but hopefully good quality DVD's will be coming. Time will tell.

2. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I never really thought about this. Disney is, for the most part, a family-oriented company. These shows would certainly blend in with their classic cartoons...

Dang it, now my hopes are up. :eek:

3. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm hoping that this will be one of the first things that Disney does with the Star Wars franchise. Things have been pretty quiet from Disney since the announcement of Episode VII. Surely they will want to do something else besides just Episode VII in the next 3 years.

4. Llew

Llew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm very curious about this, as well. I read that Fox still retains the home video rights of the movies, and it makes me wonder if they retain the distribution rights to derivative products like the cartoons and ewoks movies. They were the distributor for the last round of DVD's for the cartoons, so I have to wonder if LFL and/or Disney want to put money in the pocket of a (now) rival company. It looks like Fox retains those distribution rights on everything until 2020 (and on ANH forever), but I hope they're able to work something out.

5. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm a huge fan of the Ewoks & Droids cartoons since I first saw them on Saturday mornings in the mid '80's, & have wanted a comprehensive DVD release for years (I'm not counting the 2004 heavily edited & sub-par DVD releases). And, yes, I do think that since Disney has a long history with cartoons it would make perfect sense for them to at last release the Droids & Ewoks cartoons on DVD, in their entirety. There seems to definitely be fan interest for this; there is at least one fan page (that I know of) devoted to the shows, and whenever this subject comes up on SW forums (like this one & others), there always seem to be quite a few responses.

IMHO, a release of these shows may work best as a retail exclusive (maybe Target?!).

I recently saw the excellent animated Boba Fett sequence from the holiday special (on the Blu-ray), and was very impressed at how cleaned-up the picture was - superb! The animation company that did this (Nelvana), also did the Droids/Ewoks cartoons, and seeing this illustrated to me how good these shows can look if the picture/sound is properly remastered.

6. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I would be really happy to see these on Disney XD. Even seeing them on StarWars.com would be nice. These are canon shows, we can't just forget about them!

7. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Though I don't particularly like these shows (they contain way too much of the 80's cartoon cheese for my liking), it would be very nice to see a proper re-release of these shows.

Definitely seems like something Disney would want to encourage.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.