main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Disparate Jedi -- Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, OC Jedi -- COMPLETE -- 11-Dec-2006

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    CCCCCRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUNNCCCHHH!!!!

Even Kokom paused in the middle of her industrious eating to peer at the older Padawan. Obi-Wan's juice sprayed out in front of him.

Sipping juice really wasn't a very good method for covering up a laugh.

Master Narimoyak had already proven that one could eat cana sticks quietly, which meant that Dyuda had made that noise on purpose.

Narimoyak slammed her hand down hard on the table.

"Padawan!"

"Hahahahahahahahaha!!" Master Tekta didn't try to cover up her laugh at all. Qui-Gon had lowered his head and he rubbed his beard and mustache, his hand conveniently covering his mouth.

[face_laugh] That was funny! I loved it! [face_laugh]

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Tekta turned off the illicit lightsaber and gave the power core back to her Padawan. While Kokom eagerly reassembled her own weapon, Tekta held up the original core.

"There's nothing wrong with it. It's new. It's just never been charged. She never intended to use it, or even pretend to."

"That only means that she's smart enough to not risk accidentally dismembering herself," Narimoyak sneered. There were plenty of stories about toughs or ruffians looking to boost their reputation with the weapon of the renowned Jedi, only to accidentally cut off a limb with it. Without the Force to guide the hand of the wielder, a lightsaber was more of a danger to the user than any enemy.

"Walking around with a weapon that doesn't work carries it's own risks," Narimoyak finished.

That's VERY true! :p

A wonderful update! =D= I love your OCs, they are rich and complex and seem very "real." Lovely to read!

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Gkilkenny: Thanks [face_thinking] for the reply! Yes, Narimoyak has an issue with Jedi impersonation.

Healer_Leona: Oh, yes, Narimoyak has issues. Poor Toolay has been caught, which is bad enough, but having an upset Jedi coming after her is worse. Thanks for reading!

dianethx: Thanks! Toolay is sympathetic since hers was a 'victimless' crime, though it was still a problem, but it's probably a little unsettling when real Jedi first run into it.

PadawanKitara: Is there more to the situation? Yep. Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Thanks, glad you liked it! Jedi at the table are not always polite. [face_mischief]

VaderLVR64: I suppose when you really look at them, lightsabers are an insane weapon to use; one wonders why Ben Kenobi just handed one to Luke Skywalker in ANH. But I suppose since he was sitting right there that he could have prevented any accidents and Luke did have his father's midichlorines working for him.

OTOH, lightsabers look so cool. And glad you like the OCs; they make the story so much for interesting for the movie characters. Thanks for the reply!

And now. . . . some more. . .

./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\. ? Part 5

"She doesn't know, why she did it," Dyuda's voice broke the silence. Still standing, Qui-Gon looked down at him. Obi-Wan was confused. Who was he talking about?

Hands clasped before him, one blunt finger pointed toward Toolay. "Or she doesn't know how to say it. She might be able to later, especially after talking to her own lawyers, but for now. . . ." Dyuda lowered his eyes, his thoughts clearly turned inward. "Her actions are part of her. Even without a reason that can be spoken. That must be found later." His dark green eyes found his Master's. "Sometimes, we just do the things we must. And sometimes, we don't know how to do anything else."

Narimoyak's eyes had gone sad. "This wasn't a momentary act of violence or crisis. She planned her actions, for years, and acted on them." Confused about what she was talking about, Obi-Wan watched the exchange between Master to Padawan. He saw the same look of confusion on Qui-Gon's face and on those of Kokom and Tekta.

Dyuda smiled back. "Things that go unspoken don't have words. It takes time to find them." Narimoyak's expression softened, became almost kind.

"It does." She turned back to Tekta. "I don't know why I want to know why she did it." She sighed. "I shall have to accept that she did." She bowed her head, then walked around Tekta and went back to her seat. Obi-Wan stared at her and then at Dyuda, who contentedly contemplated the remains of his lunch before him. Qui-Gon silently glowered from one to the other before taking his seat again.

"Hmmmff!" Tekta went back to her seat and flopped down. She pointed at her friend. "I am not asking now," one eye flicked toward Toolay, "but when I do, Narimoyak, I hope you will have decided whether or not you're going to tell me what that was all about." She leaned forward on her elbows and then snatched the few bugs that had fallen out of Kokom's bowl and popped them in her mouth.

"Pretty good," she nodded approval toward her little Padawan and then began finishing her own meal. Neither Dyuda nor Narimoyad moved, though they both seemed content. Obi-Wan looked toward his own Master for an answer. He replied with a tiny shake of his head. Obi-Wan sensed sympathy, a small consolation to his curiosity. Qui-Gon offered him one of his cookies.

Munch-crunch-munch-munch-crunch-crunch-munch.

Kokom resumed her meal with less vigor, though it was unclear if this was because she was disturbed by the confrontation or just less hungry than she had been earlier.

They finished their meal with few other words spoken. Obi-Wan caught Toolay watching them in the reflection on the viewport. He supposed that their prisoner wondered what had happened just as much as he did.

The droid came back and c

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Very nice update - interesting for once to see that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are a bit in the dark about things. The story advances, yet things are really not much clearer yet.

5. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm also a bit confused what's going on... but I hope the next chapter will solve the riddle.
    Can't wait for an update!

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    [face_thinking]

I'm sure the next post will reveal something.:D

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hands clasped before him, one blunt finger pointed toward Toolay. "Or she doesn't know how to say it. She might be able to later, especially after talking to her own lawyers, but for now. . . ." Dyuda lowered his eyes, his thoughts clearly turned inward. "Her actions are part of her. Even without a reason that can be spoken. That must be found later." His dark green eyes found his Master's. "Sometimes, we just do the things we must. And sometimes, we don't know how to do anything else."

All too true. Dyuda is a wise padawan. Ahhh, fascinating that he was knighted shortly after that. o_O

Excellent post.

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Interesting. I think I'm just as much in the dark as Qui and Obi. I wonder what Toolay had to do with Dyuda's knighthood, if anything.

Looking forward to more.

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Sipping juice really wasn't a very good method for covering up a laugh.

Master Narimoyak had already proven that one could eat cana sticks quietly, which meant that Dyuda had made that noise on purpose.

Narimoyak slammed her hand down hard on the table.

"Padawan!"

"Hahahahahahahahaha!!" Master Tekta didn't try to cover up her laugh at all. Qui-Gon had lowered his head and he rubbed his beard and mustache, his hand conveniently covering his mouth.

[face_laugh]

Another great chapter! =D=

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Valairy_Scot: Aaaaah, there is more to come, though Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are not actually the center of the drama. Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Yes, there will be more to explain it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Gkilkenny: Yep, more will be revealed.:D Thanks for the reply!

Healer_Leona: Aaah, yes, more will come about Dyuda's knighting. Thanks for reading!

dianethx: Yep, in this Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are observers without all the facts. Thanks for the reply1

VaderLVR64: Thanks for reading!

Now, the last part.

./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\./\//''\\/\. ? Part 6

Thankfully, Obi-Wan did not have much time to wonder over his Master's non-answer while he spent his next few hours with flight simulators with several other Padawans and some of their Masters. They were only familiarizing themselves with a variety of different transport and ship controls since using the Force in a simulator was not the same at all as in the real crafts. That would come the next day.

Qui-Gon had passed up this training in favor of a trip to Archives to look up the Living History Lands on Pozph-Din and the Defeat of Darth Yarr. They had collected some significant artifacts on their mission and he had already delivered them to the Archives the night before, but he still needed to record the events of their mission. The final disposition of the artifacts would be settled and Obi-Wan knew that Qui-Gon wanted to satisfy his own interest in that world's curious history and customs as well.

When he finished with the simulators, Obi-Wan found a com waiting for him, requesting his presence at a Temple visiting hall. He took a lift to the Temple's base level.

"Obi-Wan." Obi-Wan turned at the sound of the familiar voice. It was not a shout or call, but loud enough for a Jedi to hear, even in the immense Temple corridor.

Dyuda Plum strode toward him. Obi-Wan smiled and he congratulated the former Padawan. Plum returned the greeting, nodding his horned head. The Ithok's braid was gone. They walked together, slowly down the columned walkway. Plum had also been called to the visitors' hall. They were to be interviewed by the Judiciary, collecting evidence about Administrator Toolay.

"There is no hurry, however. Master Tekta and Kokom are with them now and that could take some time." Obi-Wan noted Plum's leisurely pace. There were no other Jedi near them.

"Master Tekta was very prompt with her demand for an explanation about what transpired between myself and Master Narimoyak yesterday," Dyuda began. Obi-Wan carefully kept his expression neutral though he doubted that really concealed his intense curiosity from his fellow Jedi. "I thought it only appropriate to tell you and your Master as well, what happened." Dyuda smiled, showing his small brown teeth.

"I had suggested that you and your Master be invited to Master Narimoyak's gathering last night, but she was adamant that you or Master Qui-Gon would not be interested in attending. She did not wish to say why, but Master Tekta and a few other were quite happy to explain what happened the one time that you did." Obi-Wan smiled. After the death of Narimoyak's young Padawan, Qui-Gon had hosted a gathering with her and more than a dozen older Masters. The 'discussion' had degenerated into a colossal food fight in Qui-Gon's room, a huge embarrassment for the Jedi Masters. Neither of them had ever attended another such gathering, or spoken more than a few words to Narimoyak since then, until this last mission.

"I failed my Jedi Trials."

Obi-Wan turned, surprised by the sudden change in subject and the gravity of the statement. Dyuda Plum continued sedately walking down the corridor. Unable to think of a suitable reply, Obi-Wan fell in step with him again and waited for him to continue.

"It does happen at times. I am far from a rare case. But it isn't spoken of. One of many things." Dyuda stared ahead, his expression mild, thoughtfu

11. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Bravo! I've been lurking on this story (I know, bad me) - and I've enjoyed the whole thing so much. All the give and take of the characters, the way Toolay behaved, Narimoyak's reactions, - but I liked, perhaps, the last chapter best: how Dyuda explains his failure at his trials, yet is knighted. That was a very complex piece of knowledge, about handling emotions, extremely well-explained. And "Dyuda" sounds so close "Dwida" - Two Parts. I don't know why, but it seems so apt, somehow.

Wonderful work, Anne. =D=

12. Fifilla

Mar 9, 2006
    Great ending! =D=

13. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    A wonderful story that I greatly enjoyed, and I loved all the OCs mixing with Qui and Obi.

Even Administrator Toolay, in her own way, found her own words for her actions." Qui-Gon turned back to the little pool.

"She did?" Obi-Wan asked.

"Yes." Qui-Gon nodded. "She got herself a good lawyer."
    [face_laugh]

Classic, that ending is a classic. Wonderful job. =D=

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was indeed a most profound story. It seems so sad for the Jedi to be punished for their emotions, though I understand why in the way they think. Still, emotions are a part of us.

Outstanding fic, thank you for sharing it with us. [:D]

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

The story is a credit to your amazing writing skills.
    A very thoughtful and lovely story.=D=

16. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Good job on the explanation. It was sad that Dyuda had to go through that but at least we all know now what the reasons were and how to overcome them.

Love the ending line. Very funny.

Well done.

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm more intrigued than ever! :D

The next morning, Obi-Wan Kenobi saw in the Temple announcements and notices that Dyuda Plum had been elevated to the status of Jedi Knight.

Obi-Wan looked down at the glowing square screen that Qui-Gon had slid over to him during the first meal of the day. Then he looked up at Qui-Gon. His Master had no explanation, but he agreed that whatever silent confrontation had gone on between Narimoyak and her then Padawan the day before likely had something to do with it.

Obi-Wan did not understand at all. Knighthood came after a Padawan passed their Trials. Had Master Narimoyak taken Dyuda Plum directly to his Trials as soon as they had parted after returning to the Temple the night before? He pressed his lips together.

"Will you be speaking with Master Narimoyak later?" he asked. Padawans never, ever asked about the specifics of any of their peers' Trials, but as a Master, Qui-Gon was perfectly free to discuss it with his fellow Master. The older Jedi simply smiled. He obviously knew what Obi-Wan was hinting about.

"Possibly, but I do not believe that I will need to ask."

[face_thinking]

Looking forward to more! =D=

18. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Princess_Arulmozhi: Thanks for the reply! :D I didn't know about the similarity between "Dyuda" and "Dwida" - Two Parts. Thanks for mentioning that. Dyuda's story came a bit slowly in writing with a bit of re-writing in place. I'm glad it turned out coherently :) with him and all the rest of the characters.

Fifilla: Thanks for reading! :D

Valairy_Scot: Thanks for reading! :D Glad you like the OCs. I like having Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan interact with other characters and it can be interesting when they are Jedi.

Healer_Leona: Thanks! Yes, those pesky emotions get in the way of Jedi keeping their calm, so things get difficult for them when they break out, but probably not much worse for a lot of people.

Gkilkenny: Thanks so much! :D

dianethx: Thanks! :) Dyuda had a sad transition to knighthood, but he did well to figure out why. And I really scratched my head over how to end the story, but Qui-Gon happily supplied an ending line. :D

VaderLVR64: Thanks much for reading! No more for this story, but the OCs might show up again sometime. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.