main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Do our icons have to be limited to Star Wars?"...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by big_boss_nass, Oct 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Exactly.

If we allow icons that are vaguely connected to GL, through one of his companies, then people are going to start wanting things related to the other members of the cast and crew. "If GL is friends with Spielberg, and Spielberg toured the sets of TPM, then we should have Minority Report icons. :D " or "But Natalie Portman was in 'Mars Attacks', so I think we should have icons from that movie, too!" kinds of requests. If we allow icons in just because of their origin in a GL company (even though he has no direct involvement) then people are going to start trying to find other thin connections to justify adding non-SW icons.

2. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    On the question about allowing individuals to remote link, definite no there. Apart from all the things others have mentioned that could cause problems with it, we simply can't do it. I am not sure what the exact deal is with IGN's set-up, but their system is tied up with a 'subscriber' system. Since we're a free-for-everyone site, we aren't going to establish a subscriber system, and I think that that is how people are able to use their own images.

So, we can't do it in the first place, plus because it would put a heavy strain on the servers of other hosts, along with the problems of altering images that we can't control, we aren't really going to push for this to be something we need (especially since there are other things that we'd appreciate a hell of a lot more).

On the subject of allowing some Lucas related ones, I don't have a problem if they are something produced directly by LucasArts or LucasFilms, so long as we don't go too far with them. Having say, <5% of the total icon number allowed to be used for this area, then I don't think there would be much of a problem. They would of course still be subject to the same rules and regulations as all other icons.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    This board has a Lucasfilm Projects forum, and a Games Forum. Couple that with the fact that TFn reports news on Lucasfilm Projects (Indy) and non-SW Lucasarts games, I believe there's room for a select few Lucas-related icons.

I'm talking Indy Jones, Day of the Tentacle... that sort of thing. Nothing with more than one degree of separation from ol' George's empire.

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    All I want is a damn Short Round icon, is that too much to ask? 8-}

[image=http://ozcraft.com/scifidu/indiana/short_round.jpg]

5. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Nah, keep it for special occasions like Halloween. Then it'd be more fun! Just well....make sure we have lots of special occasions. Christmas, New Year, blah blah....

With different icons for each special occasion, it'd be much much more fun. I think....the again, what do I know about icons and designing them and uploading them to servers (do I even get that term right?) [face_laugh]

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i don't care what you guys decide, but i would love it if you guys kept this Exorcist icon. it's so damn cool! :cool:

DarthTunick

7. GivePeaceAChance

GivePeaceAChance Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2002
    I think non-SW icons are a brilliant idea. Since there is no pressure from LFL or TFN to restrict our icon use, I don't see what good a self-imposed SW-only rule actually achieves. Our usernames do not have to be SW related. Our posts do not have to be SW-related. There are whole forums devoted to non-SW and non-LFL topics. So why be fussy about icons?

Apart from anything else, the forums are becoming increasingly diverse. I don't have to come here to discuss non-SW matters, but many of us do because we enjoy the community - the boards are taking on a life of their own.

8. Brias_Inc

Brias_Inc Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    After reading through the many posts in here, I think it is best if we restrict the icons to SW and direct SW related. Too many headaches otherwise.

Personally though... I would see nothing wrong with a Silent Bob icon in the Humor section. Especially if it has a lightsaber. :) I mean we have Darth Homer, Alf, and Bart's shadow... ;)

EDIT: That isn't to say that any icon will be uploaded just because the picture included has to do with SW somehow...

9. Anvia_Fett

Anvia_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I agree with Bria that some icons that aren't really SW related may fit in very well in Humor. Otherwise, I think that it would be much simpler to just have SW icons or icons that are directly related to Lucasfilm. If we were allowed to vote for non-SW icons, of course you'd get people wanting their own personal favorites and then questioning the choices of other people. The way I see it, it may turn out that so many people submit icons that you can't possibly include all of them in a vote. Then they would ask why theirs weren't given a chance. You'd have to put restrictions on icon submissions - restrictions that would be questioned and debated every time Halloween or a new chance to submit icons comes round.

Apart from anything else, the forums are becoming increasingly diverse. I don't have to come here to discuss non-SW matters, but many of us do because we enjoy the community - the boards are taking on a life of their own.

True, but why do people come here in the first place? I don't know about everyone else, but I first came here to talk about Star Wars. It's great that we have such a strong sense of community and diversity around the boards, but even if some of us don't venture out to the movie forums anymore, it's good to keep the JC based firmly on Star Wars and designed to appeal to Star Wars fans.

I'd rather keep non-SW icons to the humor section and special occasions. :D

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    This is a Starwars site, and hence icons should be limited to SW characters (IMO). If you started expanding there would be no where to stop.........people would start wanting icons of their favourite band or sports icons (could you imagine if people wanted a icon for each NFL, NHL and NBA team.

There are enough icons to keep everyone here happy (or so you would think).

There are two loop holes that I can suggest.

1) Form your own official FanForce (by getting together with people in your own area - you know the format). By becoming official you get the priviledge of your own icon.

2) Create an icon of your choice and print it on paper. cut the icon out of the paper and stick it to the top left corner of your monitor. Ensure when you read your own posts that you position your new paper icon on top of your old JC icon. Furthermore, print out copies for all your friends, and ask them to place the paper icon on your old JC icon when they are reading your post. Problem solved.

malkie

11. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    Have they uploaded my Bobby Trendy icon yet?

BTW...whoever MadMardigan is...good username! :)

12. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    I think it'd be fun to have some other icons, too. Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, and Harry Potter ones would be especially cool.

As has already been stated, though, the main problem is deciding where to draw the line. I think we're all agreed that it'd be impossible and rediculous to attempt personalized icons like favorite sports teams and obscure movies or comic books.

Unfortunately, I think it'd be best to stick with SW icons since this is, after all, a SW discussion forum. :eek:

;)

13. Brias_Inc

Brias_Inc Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2002
    I think it'd be fun to have some other icons, too. Lord of the Rings, Spider-Man, and Harry Potter ones would be especially cool.

Me too! I'd love seeing those as well as other things (Powerpuff Girls, U2, etc, etc). That isn't the issue, just where/how would we draw the line? Best keep them the way they are. It makes them more fun too, IMHO, since they aren't always available. ;)

14. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Message from a Moron:

I don't think the question should be "Why do our icons have to be limited to Star Wars", it should be "Why don't we even have more Star Wars icons"! I mean, I love these Halloween icons, and I love the normal icons, but come on! Why have 10 Yoda icons and 1 Watto? Why have 12 Vader icons and no Dannik Jerriko? (Is there a Dannik Jerriko?) I mean, you have tons of Star Wars characters to choose from, and people are asking for Frodo icons? Am I nuts, or is this a STAR WARS forum on a STAR WARS website frequented by STAR WARS fans?!? I mean gimmie a break!

...Thus concludes Message from a Moron.

15. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Hey Moron (feels :( calling someone that :p).

I agree that on some SW characters having too many icons. I really enjoyed AOTC, but I can't say I think we *that* many Padmé's or Yodas. This is coming from an icon maker too. Also, if there is a SW character who ISN'T represented, feel free to go into the Submission Icon thread and *ask* if one has been made or could be made. Lots of times people have made them (like Jerriko) but they haven't been added so far. Imput from users on what they want to see is great! :)

16. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    MD, there are 635 icons up, not including the Halloween ones. We have a ton of SW icons, but you aren't the only one who is calling for more EU icons. Many of the makers try to make more EU icons. Problem is that many of the characters in the EU novels are never realized in actual picture form. When they are, they are rarely scanned and uploaded. The few that are out there are difficult to find, unless you are specifically looking for that character and manage to find the 2 or 3 sites on the entire internet that the image is hosted on. And sometimes the images simply cannot be worked with.

Images from the PT are the exact opposite. They are everywhere. High quality, high resolution, and in high quantity. They are easier to find and to work with, plus AOTC is currently what is drawing the largest number of people to the boards.

The best way to get an icon of a EU character you want is to take the initiative, do some digging for a couple of images of them/it, and post the links in the submissions thread. I'm sure most of the makers will jump in and make a couple of versions, then post those in the thread for you and Grilled-Sarlacc to see. It's better than sitting around and waiting. ;)

EDITS: *Sigh*, someday I will learn to proof-read my posts before hitting 'submit.' [face_blush]

17. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Gay-Len is correct. There are quite a few images that I have looked at and gone "Holy! Amazing Icon Alert!" - and then when I start working with it, I realize that it's either not going to work well when cut into a square, or it's impossible to extract the main subject, or something similar.

I just looked for images of Dannik Jerriko. I found one, mirrored on many, many sites. It's blurry, and a horrible shot.

Oh, I just found another one, it's a somewhat decent black and white shot.

Unless there are more pictures that I am missing, this character can't be made into a good icon.

This happens in a lot of cases.

18. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I personally would love a great Indiana Jones icon.

19. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Are we going to keep any of the icons from Halloween?

20. Gay-LenKenobi

Sep 20, 2000
    Did you even read the thread? 8-}

21. Wylding

Wylding Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 13, 2000
    Truthfully?

No. But I skimmed a few posts, does that count?

22. The_Lemon_Joeco

The_Lemon_Joeco Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2002
    I understand why TF.N wants only SW, but other forums have successfully had both SW and other closely related film icons...

Seeing how SW is based off of LOTR maybe that could be an exception but then like it's been said ppl would be mad cause TF.n is being "picky".

Maybe if we took LOTR or HP or others (just Fantasy/Sci-Fi) and put SW things in them, like my LotR characters with Lightsabers ikons.....?

-lem

EDIT: I just read a post on page 3 talking about how having other films with like Lsaber in them would be good to upload... Then how come hardly any I've seen haven't been? They have Alf, why not Gandalf? :)
    Excuse me if I've repeated something others have said, there's way too many posts to read 'em all.

23. solobones

solobones Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Does snowboards not allow each person to have their own custom icon? Or at least members with a certain amount of posts to get their own individual icons?

-sb loves john doe

24. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    All I know is I want to keep my icon :D

25. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    The problem with have people upload their own icons is bandwidth and space. the JC has 85,000 members, if just half of them uploaded icons it would take up a lot of space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.