main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you consider Jedi to be Wizards?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Mzukiller, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Or Sith to be Sorcerers? I mean Star Wars is partly fantasy, so how do you think it all goes?

2. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No, they all are Maiar.

3. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    We heard Uncle Owen refer to Ben Kenobi as a ''Wizard'' but I think it was due to a lack of knowledge of these matters which he didn't really understand.

To me SW isn't what can be called fantasy.. I mean mystic powers can be found as well in different kind of fiction work.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    This is a topic more suited to the Star Wars community boards.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's all pretty wizard. - Kitster

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Moving to Community.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    And, FWIW, no, they're not wizards. 'Jedi scientists' are mentioned in the ANH novel; when you have people who study you via the scientific method (presumably, anyway :p) you're not magical. The Force is still not very well understood per the ROTS novel, but there are some things that can be safely stated about it.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Psionic Monks.

9. aalagartassle

aalagartassle Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2011
    Over all these Druids one presides, who possesses supreme authority among them. Upon his death, if any individual among the rest is pre-eminent in dignity, he succeeds; but, if there are many equal, the election is made by the suffrages of the Druids

either sacrifice men as victims, or vow that they will sacrifice them, and employ the Druids as the performers of those sacrifices; because they think that unless the life of a man be offered for the life of a man, the mind of the immortal gods can not be rendered propitious, and they have sacrifices of that kind ordained for national purposes. Others have figures of vast size, the limbs of which formed of osiers they fill with living men, which being set on fire, the men perish enveloped in the flames. They consider that the oblation of such as have been taken in
    theft, or in robbery, or any other offense, is more acceptable to the immortal gods; but when a supply of that class is wanting, they have recourse to the oblation of even the innocent.

The Gallic Wars

By Julius Caesar

Yoda you be crazy!!!
    Bit much even for a dark jedi, they were probably sith:p

10. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Obi-wan: oh give up Lars you great prune

obi-wan: yer a wizard Luke,

Luke: :eek: me?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The "Jedi Scientists" bit is in the context of there being as much magic as science in explanations of the Force:

"It is an energy field and something more. An aura that both controls and obeys. A nothingness that can accomplish miracles. No-one, not even the Jedi scientists, were able to truly define the Force. Possibly no-one ever will. Sometimes there is as much magic as science in the explanations of the force. Yet what is a magician but a practicing theorist? Now, let's try again."

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Sure, but still. It can be studied. Magic by definition cannot.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends on the kind of fantasy. In Discworld, wizards basically "study magic"- even discovering its fundamental particle, the thaum.

14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Cleric/warrior class?
    Jedi are not wizards, or superheros. They are Jedi.

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Some Jedi are pretty close to being superheros

16. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Some are super and heroic, but in general, Jedi are not the same as superheros, even though they have powers and use them for good.

17. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I know that they are not superheroes. Superheroes wouldn't have gone down so quick during an order 66 scenario.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Jedi can't cast spells or potions or anything like that, but I think every word has a connotation to it. The word "witch" or "sorceress" or "sorcerer/warlock" has a very dark feel to it, if you're talking about a magic user, than just calling her a jedi. But i guess they're wizards.

Same thing with superhero. Calling a jedi a superhero means putting them in the same category as Spiderman, X men, superman, batman, iron man, deadpool, green lantern, robin, thor, nick fury, guys like that.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The Jedi are a lot less unrealistic than those guys. Which is saying something. :p

20. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    "that wizard's just a crazy old man"

"that's wizard annie"

it seems to mean a lot of different things in the GFFA

must be the GFFA's F word :p

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't know what to classify Jedi. I guess they aren't superheroes, but then again, I don't like the feel of the word wizard/witch on the Jedi, since it means that Leia is a space witch, and Luke, Anakin/Vader, obi wan, yoda, and windu are all space wizards. It has a very dark feel and connotation to it.

Owen lars didn't mean wizard like a sorcerer type of wizard. He meant wizard like a wise old man. He wouldn't want Luke knowing about the Force or the Jedi. He kept Luke's father's history as a knight a secret and lied to him that he was a space freighter. He defnitley wouldn't tell Luke about the Force. Calling obi wan a wizard implies he has magical powers aka the force.

22. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    No, not even close.

I'm pretty sure the Jedi were loosely based on samurai and shaolin monk types, not wizards. As for the science of being Jedi, it's there in the books and movies...medichlorians and lightsaber crystals and all that.

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why aren't the Jedi wizards? A wizard/sorcerer is a person who controls supernatural forces, ie, magic, which is the force is supernatural and mystical too. Jedi are wizards, and female jedi are witches too, including Leia. How are they not witches and wizards? Telekenesis, levitation, mind-reading, force lightning, telepathy, clarivoyance, visions of the future and past, all sound very magical and mystical to me.

24. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Jews worship God and so do Christians. But they are not of the same religion.
    Leia is a Jedi, not a witch.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Jedi control the force. Force=supernatural mystical energy field. Magic=supernatural powers. Witch=female user of magic
    Force=magic
    Leia=female force user
    Leia=female magic user
    Leia=witch

Just because witch has dark connotations that dont work in sci-fi doesn't mean Leia isn't a witch. What's the definition of a witch, wizard, sorcerer, in your opinion? The force is magic. It's supernatural powers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.