main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you enjoy 3D movies/television, and will you see SW in 3D?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hayato112, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    As we?ve all said, 3D or 2D, it doesn?t really matter. This should just be seen as an excuse to watch the Star Wars films in the cinema once again. This may be our last chance, at least in a mainstream capacity. I just hope 3D doesn?t die before they get to ANH. Even if it does, Avatar 2 comes out in 2014. I?m sure Cameron has something up his sleeve. Not to mention the Hobbit films next year and in 2013.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I'd like to see them do all 6 in the cinemas again, 3D or not. The funny thing is, with all the bitterness of the changes with the SE's & the rage over the PT, it's easy to forget the initial drive behind the 1997 Special Editions, which were launched with the premise that an entire generation had been brought up with SW solely on TV & home video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItZ2TBmpmU

Then, of course, all hell broke loose...

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It is funny looking back on it. It does make me feel kind of warm and nostalgic. I knew of Star Wars before and I was already a fan, but the Special Editions were the first time I got to see them on the big screen. I remember very well hearing kids in the school playground talking about Star Wars who I?d never heard mention anything about it before. This was obviously the exact kind of thing that Lucas wanted. It?s obviously the exact kind of thing he wants again.

But yeah, as you said, it is kind of ironic looking at what happened just a couple of years later.

4. iarann

iarann Jedi Master

May 21, 2007
    I'm excited for it, mostly as an excuse to see Star Wars in theaters again. The experience just doesn't compare. As for the 3d aspect being a hindrance, it doesn't bother me and I'm sure it won't hurt their bottom line when the films come out. Lion King just made $30 million being re-released in 3d (only 8% of the revenue was from 3d screenings), it looked fantastic, and that comes out on blu-ray in only a couple of weeks. When there is enough popular nostalgia, and considering Star Wars just sold a million blu-ray sets there seems to be, the movies being re-released do pretty well.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm going to take my nephews to see SW3D, but I;m not a fan of 3D at all. I doubt I'll even bu them when they come out on DVD.

6. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Yes and Yes.

That is all.

7. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I don't really care for 3D.

8. Derek237

Derek237 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2006
    I'll usually go out of my way to avoid 3D movies in theatres and will only shell out the extra admission if it's a movie I really want to see and there's no option for a 2D screening. I've only seen 4 movies in 3D in total: The Final Destination, Avatar, Piranha, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. It's pretty hit or miss with me. In the case of something like Piranha the 3D was barely noticeable and I felt pretty ripped off.

That said, I'll totally go see the Star Wars movies in 3D. Come on, it's Star Wars!

However, when the time comes for yet another home video release and they have the 3D Blu-ray sets released for ungodly amounts of money, I will pass. I've seen displays of 3D-capable televisions and to say it's an underwhelming format doesn't even come close to describing it yet. They've barely perfected it for theatrical presentation so at this point with home theatre it just doesn't work. Anyone who goes out and buys a 3D TV has way too much money and is a sucker. IMO.

9. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    No, I'm not seeing TPM, or any of the other Star Wars movies, on the big screen, 3D or 2D. 3D bothers my eyes sometimes and I don't feel like shelling out the $12+ price tag. The DVDs are good enough for me.

10. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    I love good natively shot 3D and preferably 3D Imax. Can't wait to see all of Star Wars again in the theater and in 3D, even though its post-converted. I'm also looking forward to other upcoming 3D films like Ridley Scott's Prometheus, Scorsese's Hugo, the two upcoming 3D Hobbit films and the Avatar sequels.

I keep reading the claim that 3D is a passing fad, yet still the top two highest grossing films so far this year in the states, the last Harry Potter and Transformers 3 clearly benefited from 3D. I just can't see studios turning their back on what's been a common element of the most commercially successful films of the last 3 years, with more 3D blockbusters in the pipeline.

What sucks about 3D is those terrible post-conversion jobs like Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans. No wonder some people dislike 3D. At least with Star Wars, the research for the 3D conversions has been going on for several years before the latest resurgence and I hope Lucasfilm has come up with a superior method by now for conversions. My guess is a frame-by-frame cgi re-creation of each original live-action elements is being done, The Clone Wars-style, and used as a depth map for converting the actual film footage. I'd enjoy seeing the holograms shown in the films - in actual 3D, the way the characters in the film see them.

I think for Star Wars to survive and be "future-proofed", it needs to be in 3D. A few years from now when all video games, digital displays, home viewing devices and practically everything else are in 3D, 2D media is going to not have quite the same appeal for the younger generations, and library titles rendered stereoscopically are going to have a little more staying power.

Of course if I had to choose personally, I'd take a pre-special edition 2D original trilogy restoration on the big screen instead, but I gather that won't be happening any time soon.

11. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Will be there opening day my 3 year old son(who doesnt like clone wars he likes "real star wars"as he calls the movies) asks every day when he can see star wars in 3d.
    I have a 3d tv and dont understand all the negativity about them its just a extra on the tv like internet access ,in a couple of years passive 3d will most likely be standard on all TVs. Meaning if you want to use it you can, if you dont you dont have to.
    I dont think 3D is going away anytime soon theres been a lot of investment put into it with sporting events being reguraly broadcast in 3d and with the Olympics being broadcast in 3d next year i would imagine sales of 3dtvs will go through the roof.
    With the right people behind the camera this technology has so much potential i cant wait for the sights we will see on the screen in the coming years.

12. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    The only move i've seen in 3D was Avatar, and i plan on going back again for Star Wars for sure. Even if it was just a 2D release i'd go, just because of the chance to enjoy these on the big screen again. These are movies made to enjoy on a large screen :D

13. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Completely agree.

Not a big fan of 3D effects, but damn it's STAR WARS on the big screen again !!!

Just like old times...

Even if it's not the O-OT, if it goes as far as the OT movies.

14. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Agreed on 3D, it's fun to see a favorite film on the big screen popping out at you but the magic really only lasts once. I can't see why people pay 12+ dollars per ticket to see new random movies just because the characters hover two feet away from the screen. If anything, 3D detracts from the experience for me because everything looks like a cardboard cutout.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yes, I do and absolutely yes. In fact, I was in Vegas last year when I saw the news that star wars was being released in 3-D. I will be there next year.

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm not too fond of 3D movies, anymore. At first, they were cool because they were new. Then, the novelty wore off as the ticket prices climbed higher and higher. That, and having decreased vision in one eye, the 3D effect doesn't work very well and I end the movie with a throbbing headache.

As for seeing SW in 3D... I'll wait for the OT to be shown in 3D. But even then, it will hinge on the ticket prices. I'm none too keen on spending $20 just for the ticket, only for many aspects of the 3D to be lost on me due to my poor vision, and I walk out of the theatre after a couple hours with a headache and an empty wallet. [face_plain]

17. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Haven't seen any 3D stuff. As much as I'm considering seeing SW in 3D (provided it's good), I might end up going with the 2D screening. :)

18. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    i saw avatar, despicable me, and monsters vs aliens in 3d. they were fun.
    i have no intention of seeing the saga in 3D. to me it is a waste of money to upgrade them. and a waste of my money to see them.
    i have seen the saga enough times to, i think, say that only a couple of bits would benefit from an upconversion to 3D. most of all is the falcon's escape from the death star 2 in ROTJ. maybe, also, maybe, jabba's barge as well. other then that i cannot think of a reason to justify this at all.

19. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    Yes and yes. I am jazzed to see The Phantom Menace in 3D.

20. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I have an expensive 3D plasma TV -- which I bought not because of 3D but because it had the best picture quality I could find.

For the most part I feel 3D is a gimmick, and an unnecessary one at that. For a few very special films, such as Avatar, I feel it enhances the experience. One IMAX film in particular about the International Space Station is particularly mind blowing.

I do buy films in 3D when they are available, and I do check out the 3D version, but I still prefer to watch in 2D. I don't need the gimmicks, I hate wearing the glasses, and IMO the glasses alter the brightness/contrast of the image and I find myself asking why I would buy a TV that has the best picture quality on the market and then make it worse by looking through tinted glasses?

I'll probably check out Star Wars but this is probably going to fall squarely in the "gimmick" camp. BTW Blu-Ray players can automatically convert 2D to 3D so I already have some idea what's in store.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Do I enjoy 3D movies/television?

Just for the 3D? No. I thought Avatar was a poor remake of Dances Of Wolves with a pile of Ferngully: The Last Rainforest thrown in; OTOH, I adored Alice In Wonderland because it's Alice In Wonderland, and the 3D effects were just something else nifty.

Will I see SW in 3D? Probably, unless something unforeseen arises. SW, IMO, is practically 3D already; the films have always used depth-which is what makes 3D genuinely useful instead of just an excuse to charge extra money-extremely well. Think about the trench run, the asteroid field, the freaking Battle Of Endor, Coruscant, the other asteroid field, and the freaking Battle Of Coruscant.

Now think about them with actual depth, instead of extremely clever camera tricks, added in.

It's going to be amazing. :D

22. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I'm not a 3d fan. So, o I won't be oing to see SW in 3D.

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't usually see movies at the theater these days, 3D or otherwise.

But Star Wars will be worth seeing again on the big screen.

The 3D is just a bonus feature.

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I really should've seen Herzog's movie about the cave paintinga in 3D when I had the chance. Fortunately Wim Wender's "Pina" is out, so I can check that out (hopefully they'll show that beyond the Miyazaki fest at the IFC Center that's currently occupying my theatrical moviegoing).

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So far I have enjoyed the 3d flicks I have seen and I look forward to the entire Saga in that format. Hell, one day I hope to see it in True Holgram Projection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.