main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does the "new" stuff take you out of the movie?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'll never enjoy "Jedi Rocks".

That thing is an atrocity.

2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    The Vader "no" takes me out of it so much, I'd rather fast-forward.

3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    ROTJ without the banthas is dead to me.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, but I usually just fast-forward over it.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    To answer the original question - for the most part, yes.

It wasn't as bad when the Special Editions were originally released. I could stomach most of the new stuff, except for Greedo shooting first and Jabba's inclusion in ANH. The rest wasn't so bad. It was only when the DVDs/blu-rays were released that things got ridiculous for me. I pretty much consider every change made after '97 to be jarring and unneccesary. The biggest culprit for me is Hayden Christensen showing his mug in the ending celebration. That one gets to me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Young Anakin Skywalker. Luckily, it is the end, and i am about to get out of the movie anyway.

Besides that, ESB conversation between Vader and the Emperor was a bit weird, seeing this giant face just looking at you, almost taking up the whole screen, was like, woah! Still don't think i have entirely gotten used to that.

Yeah, the Jabba Han scene of ANH.

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Although I saw the SE first, some stuff definitely now takes me out of the movie. Like you'll be watching, a change appears, and, depending on my mood, it can sort of make me start thinking about George Lucas. Most of the changes I don't have a huge problem with, but here and there it can be irritating. For the record I watch both the 2006 OOT and the blu-rays.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Didn't the SE's and subsequent versions have more banthas than the original version of ROTJ?

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    There weren't any banthas in the original version of ROTJ.

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well there you go then, so the SE's and subsequent versions did have more. :p I was thinking there weren't any in the original, but wasn't sure and got confused by the statement I replied to.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The scorecard is:

ANH: banthas. ANH SE: banthas.
    TESB: no banthas. TESB SE: no banthas.
    ROTJ: no banthas. ROTJ SE: banthas.

TPM: banthas.
    AOTC: banthas.
    ROTS: no banthas.

12. Chiss_Insight

Chiss_Insight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    All moral and character development implications aside, Greedo shooting first and missing from a few feet away just looks strange in terms of realism (I know, realism in SW..., but is Han supposed to dodge the shot?) and poor in terms of technical execution (it's the same as the moment Han "walks" on Jabba's tail in the SE ANH; it's a second/half second of footage that just doesn't fly visually).

13. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I wonder if Lucas thinks the guy with a sword in Raiders of the Lost Ark should attack Indy first before Indy shoots him? Is Indiana Jones a cold-blooded killer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD138saK_4M

Cantina Bassist likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004

15. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All jokes aside--as I understand it, that was supposed to be a much longer and elaborate sword fight, but Harrison Ford was sick when it was filmed.

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't feel that way. Sometimes, I don't even notice the new stuff added. And after watching the additions on several occasions, it barely registers with me.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I've heard this too, but I have my doubts. To me, this scene was meant to show Indy as a badass who just didn't want to be bothered messing with the guy... so he just dismissively shoots him right after the guy shows off his formidable sword skills. Actually having a longer, more involved fight between them just wouldn't work.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Same here. I noticed them the first time, but it's never done that since the first viewing.

20. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I watched ROTJ for the first time on Blu-Ray last night. I've had the Blu-Ray since they first came out last year, but was very apprehensive about watching the end of the ROTJ due to the added "NO" said by Vader. I had heard the audio through various sources, but had not actually seen any of the video. I was very scared that this changed would ruin the end of one of the best scenes in the entire saga. However, after viewing last night, I have to say that it sort of works when in context. I was very surprised how well it worked. Do I think it should have been changed? NO. But it's MUCH better than what I thought it was going to be after hearing just the audio. I can sit through the end of ROTJ now without any apprehension or disgust for what's going to be said.

21. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    The only changes that really do take me out of the movie are the ones which are poorly CGI-ed in. That means the Mos Eisley fauna and the Jabba scene in ANH (yes it has improved, but it still doesn't look like Jabba at all), the Jedi Rock creatures, etc...

Some of the changes I hate (obviously, the ones mentioned above + Boba flirting with the dancer which seems totally out of character to me), but they don't take me out of the movie. They fit in just fine. I just prefer the older versions.

Most changes I just don't give a womprat's backside about (Han vs Greedo, McDiarmid's face in ESB... I liked the original but oh well, why not?).

Some other changes I love and am glad they did (the Tattooine sky in ANH is amazing and has managed to make the scene interesting, while I would usually fast forward through it all, the Cloud City landscapes, Christensen as Anakin's ghost...).

I don't mind Vader's Nooo. I wish they hadn't changed it, but I can't say it takes me out of the movie. It's just a shame Lucas felt we needed that to feel what the character is going through. The emotional impact was stronger in the original scene. Kind of like Blade Runner and its horrible monologue. Audiences usually don't like it when they're force-fed emotional impact through unnecessary dialogue.

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i see it as this, they made have had a greedo shoot first but you know what, he still got his butt handed to him by Han Solo. i do admit the Vader no line in ROTJ was cheesy but watching ROTS again, i see it as like he said no because his wife died, now anakin is like "no, i'm not going to let my son die." i mean i'm sure in time i'll get used to it. but i wish they would fix the colors of the lightsabers make red look like instead of pink. make blue look like blue instead of a blue-ish greenish.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm like that the first time—the second or third in some instances—but it doesn't do that to me now.

24. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    The first few times watching it took me out of the movie because it was my first time noticing the changes, but usually now it doesn't even phase me. The scene with Han and Jabba by the Millennium Falcon in ANH always gets me though. It just feels out of place, especially Han's "Jabba, you're a wonderful human being" line. Add to the fact you know he's not supposed to appear until ROTJ.

I totally understand being a 'purist' and wanting to own and watch the video as it was originally intended (or at least originally made...), and I wish there was a way to own the movies as such in HD... but having said that, I can easily sit back and watch the OT on Blu-Ray and I really do appreciate many of the changes and additions for the sake of making the movies feel more modern. The light saber battles are still the same and all the characters have 80s haircuts, but some modernity in the way of improved special effects is appreciated after watching the movies as sequels to the prequel trilogy. The Christensen-ghost replacement is something you know is obviously not supposed to be there, and always reminds you that you're watching a changed product...but it was a smart edit for the sake of continuity, and makes ROTJ feel more connected to the prequels.

I just sit back and enjoy it. And while I can easily pinpoint SE changes/additions if I'm looking for it, they usually don't beg my attention much or really stand out in any jarring ways.

I guess the original trilogy demands more respect for its age and reputation, and being denied a home release of it in its 'true form' is pretty unacceptable. But it seems no one minds Yoda being changed to all CGI in TPM. =P You know you're getting old when even the prequel movies are getting SE editions of sorts. lol.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No.

Andy Wylde likes this.