main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drumming some life into RPG/Minis--- Banner Update Time

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Ok, been meaning to bring this up for a while. We always had a slower forum here, and that's fine. But lately it's been getting even more quiet than normal. I don't want to see the forum die an ignoble death so let's see if we can come up with ideas to make it a little more active.

A couple things I'd like to see and do are:
    *Get a second banner created with images from some of the newer RPG books and some Minis stuff. Or possibly several banners with RPG and/or minis.
    *Update the admin thread and/or create a new index thread. With that unlock some of the older more interesting threads. (Would need some suggestions on that one.)
    *Get an other RPG started in the forum.
    *See some more threads in miniatures aside from the single one we have. Expand some of the things we talk about into several threads
    *Have threads for all of the various RPG books if appropriate

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. What do you guys think? Any suggestions, comments, requests? We're all a part of this community and this forum so I'd like to see us work together to make it a little more exciting :)

2. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    I think all of this would be great. When I first came to this board, I was amazed at how inactive it was. I mean, there are like 3 other forums out there that I post on for Minis, and I'm not too into RPG, but I think it would be cool to get a bigger Miniatures following here. I might be able to help with making a brand new banner. I'm no expert in photoshop, but I might be able to pull something off. If someone has some ideas, I can give it a shot. I'm not creative enough to think of stuff on my own. Seriously.

3. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, I've got a couple ideas for a Minis related banner, and possible some for RPG banners. It would be nice to have one of each and one that has both minis and RPG, just for variety.

Hothie and I were talking about an idea for some minis stuff at lunch today. I'll see if I can get him to post about it.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    We seem to have lost quite a few posters, Only seems to be us, Koohii, Rogue_Thunder...

I dunno... but is it saga edition that's turned people off? I know that DP4M doesn't really post in this forum anymore, and he has a documented preference for non-saga. I'm not painting everyone with the same brush...

The Lit forum has threads for the upcoming sourcebooks, not all the talk in them is related to the fluff, there are a few stat fans in there IIRC.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Interesting. Wonder if I talk to the Lit people and see if we can get a cross promo out of it. Have them suggest people come here to talk about the books in an RPG setting as well.

6. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    We tried to have a source-book by sourcebook section at one point, and the Mod shut it down as redundant because it was in the Lit section.
    Personally, I think they belong in the RPG section, and NOT the lit section, but they were established there already, so that was that. Posession is 9/10th and all that.

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah, those are more RPG products than anything else. Maybe direct posters here to talk about RPG mechanics and specifics like that. I don't see why we can't have a mechanic-centric thread for the sourcebooks.

I also think the current economic situation might have to do with the lack of posting. People are a bit preoccupied lately. Well, that and superbowl weekend down there.

8. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, I don't view that as redundant considering that we're the RPG board, so who cares what they say :p I'll head over there to see what their threads are all about and see if we can start something like that but more geared for us. Maybe even give a plug in their threads to come visit us to talk game mechanics. Talk to the Lit guys as well. There are plenty of other topics that are the same that are posted in several places, there is absolutely no reason why this can't be one of those cases. It actually makes perfect sense.

9. Zedd

Zedd Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 20, 2007
    Hey, just a quick question: would there be anybody on this board that is one of those d6 fanatics that would be offended if I used d20's in the image?

10. Maarek-Stele

Maarek-Stele Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2006
    I still lurk, as I've always done. My gaming group moved on from Star Wars rpgs for the most part around Saga came out as most of our games had been SW and we were kinda done.

Any interest in pushing non Saga/Mini discussion here? DnD, M&M, GURPS, d20Modern, etc. Bring in some other mini wargames like Warhammer?

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I am probablly the foremost proponent of D6 over d20 (or at least the one that gripes, whines, complains and generally vocalizes the most) and I would not be offended.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    why not d6's and d20's :p

Can we create any RPG tools at all? I know all of us have lives outside of TF.N, but how about sharing some homebrewed maps/stats?

There are threads for low level characters (Koohii's contributions are ace), and campaign ideas. How about some game aids?

Is anyone in a position to piece together something along the lines of Heroforge? The excel-based character builder?

How about just discussing game ideas? I play a tech who want's to get the most out of a Dynamic Class Freighter, what's the best way of doing this taking into account the new stuff in scum and villainy?

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Thanks, Koohii, for the new thread :)

I say create away. As long as a thread is totally redundant or way off topic, I'm game. If there's an issue with a thread we'll deal with it, no worries :) Not sure how I feel about threads for other Miniature and RPG games yet, but I could be convinced. They just can't take over our forum.

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I switched back to other games: D&D, WoD, et all. Can we post about those? I know some of us can reminisce about the 80's rpg heydays.

15. Moridin

Moridin RPG Author star 3 VIP

Apr 13, 1999
    For the record, I still read this forum almost every day, to see if there's anything I can chime in on...just hasn't been anything going on here. We've got some very active forums over on Wizards.com and the Holonet is still going (though I don't see as much traffic there these days), so there's plenty of people out there talking about the books.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    well, it still seems pretty darn quiet here...
    And I can only comment of older books/suppliments, etc., which may be of somewhat limited use to anyone using D20 rules.

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't see a problem having a thread or two about some other game systems, as long as they don't take over the forum.

Glad you at least check in :) We'll try to make this place a little more hopping for you.

18. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    how about an official thread for the new books as they come out, where we can all critique them/post thoughts/whatever

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Go for it :)

20. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I have an idea, but it might be a bit of a logistical head-ache.

How about having a store of fan-made content, much like SWRPG Network. I don't want to step on Moridin's toes but It would be nice if we could organise the stats that people here went to a lot of work to put together rather than have them disappear onto pages of locked threads.

21. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    which stats? Sorry, just trying to make sure I understand. People have posted builds for everything from SW characters to builds for characters from movies, cartoons, and tv shows.

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, could you give a little more info about what you're talking about? Are you thinking just a thread gathering these things, a whole separate site, focusing on just SW stuff, other genres?

23. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) he means people can just post fan-made stats for vehicles, ships, droids, characters, etc. from Star Wars lore. I don't know how we'd store that, in a single thread, or a forum or a website....

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I'm always game for new reading material.
    We have a thread for low-level characters, and one for adventure ideas.
    A thread for monsters/beasts might not be bad.
    Also one for starships could be good. Getting pictures up as well could be a hosting problem.

Somewhere there used to be a thread for non-sw characters where I put Blakes7 and such, but would also be handy for anyone else building any character inspired by non-sw sources (wolverine, superman, etc)

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I could host pictures if people email me them. My photobucket account hold a bunch of FF stuff so it's no big :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.