main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA DVD release dates?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    *Your ad here*

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  3. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    How's my posting? Call 1800-bite-me.

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    The Castle: Poolroom Edition - Thursday, 19 August
    I saw this in the stores the other day, picked it up to see what stuff it had on it and I couldn't see nothing. There are no details whatsoever on the back of the disc. Nothing but a picture of a pool table. I thought that was highly stupid. I mean, I know you can generally look around on the net and see what's on a disc, but I didn't want to do that. I wanted to pick up the thing and see if it was worth buying or not. Stupid cover if you ask me.

5. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Good movie though. I'd be inclined to get it regardless but knowing what wss on it would certainly sway the decision one way or the other. I guess if it had any great feature's you'd think they'd tell you so if we mistakenly assume there's not - Their own bloody fault!
    As far as starwars release, as far as I'm concerned, the only last time release that really was a last time release was when I got my set on video, before the special editions were released. I've never bothered to buy the special editions so if I get the DVD set it will be the first time I've had them. To be honest I don't think I've even watched those versions more than once. I'm happy enough watching the originals. I saw the special edition of ANH at the cinema and I watched all three in a row once at TM's place (along with lots of pizza if I remember correctly).

6. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Love it or hate it, a 10 disk Matrix box set is on the way this december. You can find the full details at http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=6117

There are a few downsides that I can already see (besides the fact the two sequels weren't the best, but still a bit of fun I might add). One, the audio commentaries do not feature actors/directors/etc, but a selection of critics and scholars to disect the movie as it runs. An interesting move, certainly not what I was expecting. Might get a big boring though, i imagine.

Two: The supposed 'extra footage' for Reloaded, as I suspected, is in fact footage used within the Enter the Matrix video game. I was thinking of getting this on the cheap just to see this footage, but now I can save myself going near the rubbish of a game.

Three: A few of the disks aren't new, including a majority of the behind the scenes stuff for The Matrix, as well as the Animatrix. Not too much to complain about, but repackaging old material (unlike, say, the LOTR Extended Edition disks) isn't a crowd pleaser.

Ok, rant over. Depending on the price (no doubt well over $100 a pop), I might pass on this. Besides, all my money will be spent on Return of the King in december anyway :p

7. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The Matrix series hasn't had very good treatment with DVD releases, at least in the case of the "limited" release stuff.

"The Matrix Revisited" was just a way of selling the second disk that should have come with the First film for another $25, and it didn't really contain anything new.

8. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'd be interested in getting the LOTR extended editions if the came in a box set, but without all the docos and commentries and stuff.

I buy some DVD's with all that stuff and even if I plan to sit down and watch them I never end up doing it, I have seen hardly any of the extras on any of my disks.

Maybe I'll just have to fork out for whatever they release though. I assume there will be a box set somewhere along the lines.

9. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    If anyone finds out what the statue thingy is that comes with RotK, let me know. Coz if it's Shelob... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

10. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    sadly, it isn't shelob. Minas Tirith.

11. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    The Sideshow Weta statue of Shelob is already out, and the GamesWorkshop miniature is also, so I'm kinda happy about the Minas Tirith sculpt, I really like the look of that city, so I'll be getting that one.

FA: in regards to our LJ conversation about that GW Shelob miniature, if you want to send it over with the right paints, or cash and I'll pick it up for you, I'll paint it.

My chronic arachnophobia will just have to be dealt with...

12. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    Damnit! Now I have to go out and buy the Weta statue. Where on earth do I find that in Perth? And SM, I might take you up on that offer for painting Shelob. But I don't think the pic I saw of her looks right, the colours seem wrong to me... So I might need you/Clare to tell me what colours to get...

13. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    If you want me to do it, I'll do it properly, as in add flocking and paint that. So it has it's hairy appearance, I can use an electronic flocking gun that uses a static charge, so the hairs all stand up on end.
    Clare's dad still has the spider webs she spun on Frodo, so I'll see if I can either score some of that, or see if he can mix up some more, he did tell me what they used in the film, but that was a while ago, and it was while I was chugging free alcohol at the RotK screening :)

He's still got production snaps of the 3d maquette as well, that was all painted up as you see her in the film, so I can reference that.

The only thing is that I ask for patience, not that it'll sit in a cupboard for 6 months then I'll do it in one afternoon, but that I'll do a small bit at a time over a period, but I'd say 3 months is a fair time for me to get it done in...

Either that, or it'll be a wedding gift :)

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Kinda disappointing to see the matrix franchise shamelessly milked for all it's worth. The first film was a groundbreaking classis in so many ways and the DVD release set new standards for DVD content that have become the expected minumum ever since.
    I never thought the movie needed any sequels and while I thought they were not bad, I would have been quite happy to have just let the story end at the end of the first film. Likewise with the DVDs. Was the second DVD for the first film really that great? I've never checked it out but the first one was packed with features in the early days when most DVDs dind't have much more than just the film. And that many DVDs for a trilogy. Let's be honest. How many of us actually go through all the special features on all of our DVDs anyway? I check out some when I can but I've got a lot of DVDs where I haven't watched much more than just the film.

15. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Let's be honest. How many of us actually go through all the special features on all of our DVDs anyway?

*Raises hand*

But that's me, and not just because I'm a film buff, but also because I make them. Thing is you can learn lots in film school, but how often do you get a guest speaker like Ridley Scott or David Fincher? For me at least, the special features have been an invaluable source of information, motivation and inspiration.

But I do agree they're not for everyone, and some ppl are just happy with the end result of all the work that went in, not the actual process.

16. FaLLeN-AnGeL

Dec 3, 2001
    My Dad definately couldn't care less about the special features on the DVDs. He just wants the movies with decent picture and sound. Mind you, he's lucky to stay awake for the whole length of a movie these days. And he grumbles when we put on any of the LotR movies.

But there are definately some DVDs that are fantastic to have with all the behind the scenes stuff. I love watching it. And if you listen to the commentary on Back to the Future, you learn so much more about all the little hidden things throughout the films.

And the special features stuff on the Disney/Pixar/"children's" movies are fantastic and generally a whole lot more fun for everyone involved.

So, to make a long story short, I love the special features and I always try and take time out to watch them. Mind you, this could be for similar reasons to SM, I have an interest in making the films and always want to know how they did a certain trick.

17. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Special features are now becoming hand in hand with the productions now, everythings archived during production and filming and it's sometimes used, sometimes not.

Think of it this way, for Star Wars films we get the illustrated screenplays, the Art of *insert film title*, cut-away books of how things like ships are built plus books on character design and creature design.

None of those above things are made specially for the fans, they actually come out of the production process, it's just been repackaged and marketed and ppl snap the things up, for me, going from that to DVD special features showcassing design and things like time lapse contruction of large sets is just a natural progression.

I know I've posted my opinion twice now, but I just thought of that point, mainly because the project I'm currently on, I've been asked to catalogue and note everything for that very reason, to fill out the special features component of the final product.

18. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I think I have just found my christmas preent to me, from me.

This

19. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    That would certainly be the best way to get them. Not only for people who don't have them at all yet but also for the people who have only got the regular releases. I'm hoping they'll do the same with the Terminator trilogy. I actually thought they might when T3 came out but no luck there. As soon as I heard they were making a T3 I held off buying the other 2 thinking I could get them all as a set. I'm still waiting. :p

20. Kartanym

May 23, 2002
    you could get them all as a set, i think it was an ezydvd exclusive when t3 was released. i'm not sure whether it is still available ...

21. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Might have to look in to that. I've asked at a few shops & video libraries and no-one had heard of any plans for a set.

22. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    My other half is wondering if Beauty and the Beast has been released on DVD, we have been looking the last few days but have not seen it anywhere.

Also, if anyone spots the LOTR 12 disk set anywhere please let me know. Cheers.

23. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Just checking out Ezydvd.com and noticed that the Sopranos season 5 is due out on August 17.

Also Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is due out this thursday.

24. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Does anyone know if Earth 2 (the T.V series) is coming out anytime soon?

A mate brought over some old videos where he taped episodes and I used to thrash that show!

25. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I wish someone would release a box set of all 3 terminator movies. When T3 came out, a couple of places offered all 3 as a box set but it was a very limited thing which I found out about too late. When I heard about #3 coming out I held off getting the others in hopes of getting all 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.