main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seattle, WA Emerald Squadron Website Goes LIVE!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JarusSarn, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rishadq

Rishadq Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2006
    Oops, sorry Det -- "Post reply" page shows the thread originator name only.

2. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    it's all good

3. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    Just a quick update, I'm currently doing some contract work with a wedesign studio that could make me a few extra thousand dollars a month (yay!) And possibly be my new job a bit down the road, So, things will be slowing down a little bit on the FF sites until I can afford to spend my free time designing them, since they're free and this Hotel site [image=http://www.studiozerodesign.com/lussocomp.jpg] that I just finished is worth about $400 :D Nothing against you guys :p

On the upside, if I do get this job, I'll have TONS more time and resources available to work on your site/logo. I'm not saying I wont work on it till then, I'm just saying things will be going considerably slower until then.

4. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Ok, here's the deal. I understand that you've made the decision to purchase your domain name from me and build your own website. I can't say I'm happy with that decision, but I can somewhat understand your reasoning behind it. That being said, I'm not ready to sell you the domain name, yet. And I have not yet had a good opportunity to present my full proposal to your group. It doesn't look like I'll have an opportune time anytime soon to do this face-to-face with you guys, so I'm going to have to go against my better judgement and do it here.

The original idea was that I would build websites for all of the Washington Fan Forces (seeing as I'm a professional web designer), and a launch page for all of said groups, that would update with each group's newest news post. The reason for this project, was partly to try and bring the WFF's closer together and partly to create some portfolio pieces for me. My terms of this work is that I would build all of the Corporate Identity for each group, I.E. logo, business cards, flyers, bumper stickers, apparel, website, i.d. badges. This is an all or nothing deal. I've already discussed it with the Everett and Tri-Cities groups, who are both very interested in doing this. I jumped on you guys too soon I think, your group is going a mile a minute right now and I don't think you can really make any solid decisions in this state (our group has been there too, so I say that from experience) So my best advice at this point, is to let your group slow down (it will ;)) and then consider my offer while I work on the other two group's sites.

That's my offer in a nutshell, I'm sure by now you're all frothing mad at me for one reason or another ;) so please keep the flaming to a minimum, I burn easy [face_praying]

(P.S. I really do wanna help you guys out a lot)

5. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I thank you for getting in contact with us. It is good to finally know the terms of your service. I would just like a moment to say a few things that I believe are on the minds of all of the members of Emerald Squadron.

In this proposal you gave us, you monopolize the creativity of our group. It is unfair to say all artwork is to be done by you. You are not the only graphics designer. We have many artists in our club and it is wrong to prohibit their artwork from being part of THEIR club. Stop calling their work amatuerish--these members are just as gifted, creative and learned as you are and just because you do not see the marketability of their designs, doesn't mean that in fact they do not work. Your opinion is not the only one that should be counted. We understand you are a professional and that means you must be critical to get best results. That doesn't mean their art should be ignored. We find it strange that while you are critical of us, because we are not professionals, what we say of your artwork that you don't agree with, is scoffed because we 'don't understand.'
    I also do not see the necessity of you having control over all forms of graphic design. Why can't our members have some involvement in the creative process of their group? Like mentioned before, we have very artistic members in our club; it is cruel to exclude them. It is especially mean, after you know we already have t-shirts. Why did you not mention any of this before, when we were discussing our t-shirt designs?

You claim that this is a reflection of you, as you are doing it for your portfolio. You forget that in the end, this is also a reflection of Emerald Squadron. This is OUR club website. It is in fact unprofessional to ignore and constantly berate our requests for the site layout. We want people to look at our site and see our character; we want it to be how we invisioned Emerald Squadron. So, creative differences aside, why would we want to continue a relationship with you if you do not make the site how we like it?
    I understand you are doing this as a favor and that it costs us nothing. But that doesn't mean we should have no say in the site's creation.

I disagree with your opion of the speed of our club. A spark of interest was ignited recently. Ignoring that to slow down will lose that bit of interest. We are not ignorant of how clubs are formed and we are doing what we think best to create a Star Wars club focused on having fun. Besides, how can we have members if they don't know we exist?

I do agree we went into this web design decision too fast, before we knew all the requirements you had on your side of this. I am sorry if that has created any ill-will between you and the members of Seattle's FanForce. From what I have heard at our meetings, though, our decision stands. Please PM me with payment options so we can own our domain and tie our loose ends cordially.

6. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    This is all supposed to be fun.

Can we not, NOT make it fun.

We didn't ASK you to take our domain name. Please release it. It takes five minutes to do.

By the way, I was an IT professional for 14 years and, I have built websites for about 8 years of that, so to presume we are not professional is a mistake. Telling us is an insult.

If we knew the cost of the webiste was extortion and insult we would have passed. So far you have acted as UN-professional as I've have ever seen.

7. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    No where in my terms of service did I say that I wouldn't work with you to design something that you wanted, I just said I would design and make it all, I was meerly frustrated that things were moving too fast and I couldn't keep up, and on top of that the internet is an atrocious place to discuss ideas and do business.

I'm sorry if any of you has any ill-will towards me, if I sounded harsh or pompous with any of you before, I apologize, the last month has been very stressful for me, and in retrospect, I shouldn't have even contacted you about this idea (I had originally planned to talk to you about it at the Washington Fan Force Meet-up, but none of you were able to attend) until you had a stable group, solid ideas, and could meet with you in person. I think you're well on your way to a stable group (if you're not there already) and I think you're heading where you need to go to get some solid ideas (again, if you don't have them already :p)

I'll talk with my hosting provider and see what I need to do to get the domain name transfered to you, there should be a transfer charge but don't worry about it, I'll cover it. I fe

8. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Chill dude, I'm trying to apologize. [face_worried]

9. micdavis

micdavis Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2003

Apology accepted.

10. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I do appreciate all the help you have given us. I don't want you to think we that there was no appreciation. I'll talk to you further about the hosting of our site on the phone (PM for the number) or via messenger of some kind (I agree that this isn't the best place for business discussions). Letting us do that so we don't have to pay hosting fees is very kind of you. Again, I hope there is no ill-will between us and I hope to meet you in person soon. :)

11. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    I think I just naturally come across sounding like a jerk on the webternet... I should quit the internet :(

12. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Yay! That makes me feel a bit better, now I don't feel quite like a Grade A Duchebag...

13. DetShogan

DetShogan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2006
    Because of Yvette's post, I will bit my tongue.

14. JarusSarn

Feb 10, 2004
    Jeez, I didn't realize I pissed you guys off that bad... oh man, I really screwed up. I hope this doesn't go on my permanent sass record [face_worried]

15. Maco_Star

Maco_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    Alright, enough is enough. Yes, we were all equally frustraited with the website situation, but a resolution has been reached and a solution is being formed. So my question to everyone now is " Must we beat the situation to the ground?" The answer is "no". There is no need for any further comments...everything is been resolved. Jason I accept your appology and hope we CAN work together in the future to bring this great states fanforces together. Everyone else needs to growup and act like adults.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.