main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode III Fan Trailer - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ADONIAH32, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Agreed, Saber. Its like signing a contract that says "STAR WARS FILM" and nothing else. Im not doin jack without knowing something about the film. Sorry, man.

~Neszis~

2. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Okay, fine, mesa tired of this. I'll spill my guts.

My friend and I are writing an entire script up for Episode III for fun. To accompany it we are going to create a fan trailer for Episode III, which, we hoped, would be better than the fan trailer for Episode II that the anonymous director made. We need the CG because of the new location shots that we're going to use. We were planning on making this over the course of a year, give or take a few months. I would be able to do some exterior planet shots, and maye ship shots, but I don't know about texturing. I use Bryce 4 which is kind of limited to characters and objects...tis best for landscaping.

There you go...that's what we have planned. Now that everyone knows what it is, is anyone interested?

3. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Thanks! If I were realyl good at CG< I'd help you. But Im not. Sorry!

~Neszis~

4. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Hopefully now that I have explained this, people will become interested...

EDIT: I had the topic changed, so hopefully people will look at the thread differently.

5. GrEvEs

GrEvEs Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 28, 2002
    i can model for you, but somone else would haveta texture/animate it, because i'm going to be working on my own fanfilm for the next year or so which will be ENTIRELY in CG, but again i will be happy to do the modeling for you, or what i can of it anyway :) i'm not a pro.... yet ;)

6. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I can honestly say that i DO look at the thread differently.

Infact, I look at it COMPLETELY differently now.

Infact, I'll do you one better... you tell me exactly what types of shots you're planning on doing, and there is a good chance a few will interest me.

Honestly, no tricks... tell me what types of things you have planned (here or pm) and I might have some ideas.

I really wish you hadn't posted the original thread like you did, as opposed to coming off as secretive, it came off as a bit cocky. I can't garuntee that I will be able to help you, but the topic interests me enough to see what type of possible role I can play.

BTW, I do all types of effects, CG, Rotoscoping, whatever.

Cya
    Mike

PS: come to think of it, I'd be interested in turning some shots from the trailors of anakin into a dark jedi anakin in after effects.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Guys give the guy a break, he's trying to get somethign going here. He wanted to keep things seceret for now. What's the problem?

8. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Thanks, Rox. I wanted this project to be secret for now. I don't see why proof of my "abilities" are needed for people to work for it. As it is, my friend and I are gonna be spending our summer writing the entire script. Oh wait, someone told me in another thread a script is only a sign of a good story [face_plain]

Please, I just want to get something going here, like Rox said. I was only asking for help.

9. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    To answer one of your questions: plenty of people usually like to know your experience in these areas before they volunteer so they don't "waste" their time on a crappy project. This is usually people who are more confident in their skills and would prefer to work on something advanced which will have a good final product... or something like that.

10. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I think from the description people can see this will be a high end film worth working for. We really need help with CG. Like I already said, I can do some, but not all...

11. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I'm sorry ADONIAH32, but your film description is very much like that of every other description given by not so great projects. On the internet no one has any credibility until they prove themselves. I could claim I'm one of the best lightsaber rotoscopers, no one is going to believe me 'til I produce something (Not a direct comparision, I have no reason to believe you couldn't make a great fanfilm, while I know I'm not anywhere near the best lightsaber rotoers at the moment :)).

Rox, I don't think anyone is trying to give ADONIAH32 a hard time in this thread by asking for more info or some examples of his work. It's simply that no one knows if they can help (does he need creature animators, original sound effects for machines or what?) or if they are willing to spend hours and hours of their own time on someone elses film. I know that if my best friend (I'm not even going to compare it with a complete stranger) asked me to do 40 hours of work on a film he wasn't willing to share anything about I would decline.

[edit]Just thought I'd add that he has every right to keep his project secret, I'd prefer to find out the storyline when I view it the first time :), but he has to at least give some info so that others can help him out. And if he still can't get help then we would need some evidence of his previous work to give him that credibility on the internet. If he wanted his project to stay a complete secret posting a thread for help isn't the right thing to do, getting a whole lot of free software and doing the effects himself is the right way ;).

12. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    This is driving me crazy! I want this project to be kept mostly secret. I want this to be a huge surprise to people, why can't you understand that? :( Telling everyone here about what I need EXACTLY takes the fun out of it. I would be happy to explain it over PMs, but not here.

And as for example of my work...I still don't see why this is necessary. I mean, what do you want and why? I made a megatrailer for Episode II that people thought was pretty cool. Does that do? I think if people really want to help, they don't need to see what I can do. I said, my friend and I as it is are going to work hard to get a good script. Please...we need help.

13. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    ADONIAH32, I added the above edit while you posted that message.

And yes, the megatrailer would do. Give us a link and we'll check it out. :)

14. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I would, but I am already in a legal situation with my host for having it on the server (let's just say since people were downloading it...alot of people...it used 200GB a day of bandwidth). I dunno if it still is on the internet. I have it on my harddrive, but only in it's original 700MB quicktime format :(

If you want some details of what I would need (without giving a lot away):

1) A ship landing on Tatooine, showing the Lars Homestead (already completed on scifi3d)

2) Some new shots of Dagobah, both exterior and on the surface

3) Exterior shot of the senate building (already completed on scifi3d)

Those are 3 scenes we'd be looking at. As you can see, 2 of the 3 already have models completed.

15. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    Yeah, cool, that's all we needed. 1 and 3 will be fairly easy so you shouldn't have any trouble finding help to do those. Do you have a specific ship in mind or would any do?

For the shots of Dagobah do you just want the swampy jungle or do you need buidings too?

Do the shots 2 and 3 require movement of the camera, or would still shots be good enough? They would be a lot easier on the modeller.

16. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    For 2 maybe some slight motion of panning down with the camera.

3 should be stationary for the most part, with a possible slow zoom. Once Tom and I get the script completed, we'll know exactly. We'll include camera movements in the script for some instances.

As for the ship...I guess I'll say it in public. It will be a Jedi Starfighter.

17. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    None of them should be a major hassle then, they could be created as large stills and keyframed in AE or similar.

Is there a Starfighter model on SciFi3D yet?

The Dagobah shot will probably be the only complicated one, though it could quite possibly be just made as a 2D composition.

18. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    As someone once told me, if you can trick the viewer into believing it's real, then do it ;)

No, those shouldn't be too hard. There are only 2 CG shots that will be difficult, but I can't explain them here as they are the highlight of the film/trailer :) Now those 2 that I am talking about I DO want to keep secret as those are key points of the trailer.

19. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    Hey Adoniah32,

Just a couple hours ago I was defending newbies that get harshly criticized by senior posters for asking for help and all, and after reading this thread, I'm having second thoughts about my defence.

I have no problem with you asking for help and all, but to say "All I can say is this will probably be one of the best fan films ever." That's really arrogant. Making a fan trailer composed of Lucasfilm trailers is a hell of a lot different then shooting your own fanfilm. Don't just go around putting down other fanfilmers creations. Perhaps your script is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but seriously, to say that you film will be the best, that's bloody ridiculous.

Shoot some scenes pop them up on the internet, then we'll see how good they are. I know when I made my first fanfilm I thought it was the best, it wasn't.

Until you have some evidence (film) to warrant your claims, lay off of the whole "best fan film" thing. Most people's first fanfilms are, as the Simpsons comicbook guy says, the "worst episode ever".

-Kol.

P.S. Wixmmm, I take back a lot of what I on the PISSED thread after seeing this guys obnoxious post. Sorry man, this would piss me off to.

20. Bastion

Jun 2, 2001
    And I thought I'd calmed this thread down. :(

21. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    sorry for being inflammatory bastion, I normally don't post negative comments, but when I see somebody post something like "the best fanfilm ever" it just gets me going.

I'm not looking to start a big argument or anything, just stating a personal opinion.

Good luck on the project.

Kol.

22. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    IM also planning a an EP III trailer, mine will be more of a teaser though.

Best of luck.

23. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Ok, I am really getting tired of people not READING what I said. I said "ONE OF THE BEST". In other words, there will be several better than mine, but mine will be up there with some of the best. Get it?

24. AndyBryan

AndyBryan Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    ADONIAH32 - you stating that your film WILL be "One of the best" sounds as though you are judging peoples reactions to your film before the script is even finished.

I think you really need to think about rewording future posts. There is NO WAY you can judge what people will think, after all some people liked Knightquest, Broken Allegiance, Dark Skies, Challenge of the Sith etc, some people didn't...

I hope you do complete your film, and it is "one of the best", but I will let you know when it's been made :)

cya
    Andy

25. Darth_Jerak

May 20, 2002
    saying "one of the best" and "the best" is pretty much the same thing in my books. An unwarranted claim to greatness. Give me proof.

BTW I read your post.

-Kol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.