main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Any ideas for our August book? We didn't settle on a book by the end of the meeting. There is a Karen Traviss book out, The Clone Wars: No Prisoners. Maybe that one? I'd like to e-mail the Borders manager when I return from CONvergence next week.

Phil

2. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    The July book club date was changed - many members are heading to Comic-con, myself included, so we agreed to move the next meeting to:

July 18, 1:00 p.m. at Barnes & Noble Schaumburg.

The book discussed (at least some of the time) will be the next X-Wing book, Solo Command

See you all there!

3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I haven't received any other suggestions, so I'm going to declare August's book to be The Clone Wars: No Prisoners by Karen Traviss.

Phil

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    What was the book picked for September?

Phil

5. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Got word from my guy at Borders Oak Brook, they will be having the Death Troopers author there sometime in Oct.

Sorry for those that live far from Oak Brook, but since I live less than five miles away, woohoo!

6. RebelFleetTrooper

RebelFleetTrooper Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2007
    At the next book club meeting in September, we will be discussing Karen Miller's "The Clone Wars: Wild Space". If you have not read Karen Traviss's "The Clone Wars: No Prisoners", try to read both since I think it will be interesting to compare the writers - especially since in the Acknowledgments Section she thanks Karen Traviss, in addition to Lucas, Shapiro and Rostini.

I have not read the first horror SW book, so I am not sure if I will be reading the second one yet...I need to catch up on Season 1 Clone Wars.

I really enjoyed seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday. Hope to see everyone in September.

Edit: Oops...DeathTroopers is the first horror novel...I stand corrected...

7. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    October Book Club will be October 24 at 1:00 p.m. at Border's in the loop. The book will be Death Troopers by Joe Scchreiber. It is a hard back book, released Tuesday, October 13, 2009.

Many of us will be heading to the Border's in Oak Brook for a book signing with Joe Schreiber on October 19, 2009 at 7:00 p.m.

November Book Club will be November 21 at 1:00 p.m. at Barns & Nobles in Schaumburg. The book will be 501st, an Imperial Commando book by Karen Traviss. It is paperback, released October 27, 2009.

December Book Club will be part of the Holiday Party in December. We will be reading Rule of Two (Darth Bane book 2) available in paperback.

8. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Got my Death Troopers already. Now to have a quiet, darken house to myself to read it!!

9. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002

Will you guys be at Borders in Oakbrook tonight?

I hope to see you there!

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    As always....it was good to see you all at the booksigning...
    based on your feedback...
    I decided not to buy the book...

:)

11. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    Since the header doesn't provide the info yet ...

The January book club will be in the Schaumburg Barnes and Noble, 1/23/10 at 1:00 p.m.

We will be discussing Volume 1 and 2 of the Legacy Comics trade paper. Volume one is Broken (with Cade on the cover) and volume 2 is Shards (Luke on the cover).

See you there!

12. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Do we have a book for February? I usually like to e-mail the Borders manager a couple of months before each meeting.

For those who have the individual comics, the first two Legacy trade paperbacks reprint the first 13 issues.

Phil

13. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    Saturday was the 7th anniversary of Book Club! Yea for us.

We decided the next books will be the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy by Michael P. Kube-McDowell. So, the schedule will be:

Saturday, February 27, Border's on Michigan and Randolph
    Black Fleet Crisis book #1
    Before the Storm

Saturday, March 27 at Barns & Nobles in Schaumburg
    Black Fleet Crisis #2
    Shield of Lies

Saturday, April 24 at Border's on Michigan and Randolph
    Black Fleet Crisis #3
    Tyrant's Test

14. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Please join me on the new Chicago Force forums. I've posted comments on Crosscurrent as well as started a New Releases thread!

15. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    The following are the dates and books for upcoming months:

May 22, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. at Schaumburg Barns & Noble. We will discuss X-Wing: Isard's Reveng by Michael Stackpole

June 26, 2010 at 1:00 .m. at Borders at State and Randolph (the loop). We will discuss Crosscurrent by Paul S. Kemp

July 24, 2010 at 1:00 p.m. t Schaumburg Barns & Noble. We will dicuss X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston

16. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    Book Club in June will be moved to a special location -

We will be meeting at Cyphan, a new Sci-Fi convention. Their web site is Cyphan.com

Book club will be meeting as a panel at the con. You are not required to have a con ticket/badge to attend book club. If you wish to participate in any other con activities, you will need a badge.

We will meet at the usual time, 1:00 p.m. Part of the book club this month will be a discussion of "How to start and run a book club". We will also be discussing Crosscurrent.

Cyphan is being held at the Westin Chicago North Shore, 601 N. Milwaukee, Wheeling (Milwaukee and Lake Cook).

17. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    The loop Book Club location is changing to the Barnes & Noble at State and Jackson. Look for us in the lower level.

The upcoming dates and books are:

August 28, 1:00 p.m., B & N Jackson & State in Chicago - The Clone Wars: Gambit: Stealth by Karen Miller

September 23 at 1:00 p.m. at B & N in Schaumburg - The Clone Wars: Gambit: Siege by Karen Miller

October 23 at 1:00 p.m. at B & N at Jackson & State in Chicago - The Han Solo Trilogy book 1 - The Paradise Snare by A.C. Crispin

November 20 (one week early because of Thanksgiving) at 1:00 p.m. at B & N in Schaumburg - The Han Solo Trilogy book 2 - The Hutt Gambit by A.C. Crispin

December date TBA - and location TBA - The Han Solo Trilogy book 3 - Rebel Dawn by A.C Crispin

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Just stopping in to say hi...and let you all know that I am still alive....lol..

Hope everything is well with all of you...
    open Saturdays to get to book club have really been non-existant ....
    I thought that when I got old...I would be bored...
    I can assure you...
    I am not bored!!

At any rate...
    just a heads up for you guys also...in case some of you have October 17th open with nothing to do...

All the local SW Costume groups will be at Brookfield Zoo on 10-17-10 for the "Boo! At The Zoo" parade...
    Parade starts at 1:00 PM from the Discovery Center..

19. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Drats!

I will be a Hoosier in Bloomington, Indiana
    for
    IU Homecoming week and weekend

http://alumni.indiana.edu/events/homecoming/home2010.shtml

(am a lifetime member of the alimni association)

If I am lucky, I will get a chance to attend
    the Hoosier Alliance Star Wars club monthly meeting.

and, yes, I too am still alive..lol,
    but back issues have sidelined some of my activities for the moment.

Wish I could go to this just to watch,
    The Brookefield event I did attend in the past,
    was AWESOME :)

20. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    The next book club is January 22, 2011 at the Barnes & Noble in Schaumburg at 1:00 p.m.

We will be discussing Red Harvest by Joe Schreiber, which comes out 12/28/10.

21. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    Here is the future book schedule;

February - Dynasty of Evil; March - Legacy comic trade paper volume #3 & #4; April - Knight Errant; May - Tales of the Bounty Hunter; June - Fatal Alliance

The next book club will be February 26, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. at Barnes and Noble at Jackson and State, Chicago, lower level. We will discuss Dynasty of Evil.

22. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    The next book club is Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. at the Barnes and Noble in Schaumburg.

We will be discussing the Legacy Comic, trade paper volumes 3 & 4, which are issues #14-#19, #20-#22 & #27.

Come join us!

23. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    The next book club is Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 1:00 p.m. at Barnes & Noble at State & Jackson, lower level.

We will be discussing Knight Errant by Joshua Jackson Miller.

24. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    So, will there be anymore upcoming book club meetups? I would love to attend my first one.

25. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Sorry for the late reply. We will be reading Choices of One for the bookclub at Barnes & Noble in Schaumburg on Sep 24th.