main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
  2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    lol, not even close.

3. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    Skip Bayless will meet Tim Tebow on Friday (Feb 5) in Indianapolis. Should be quite the Love in.

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Well, Skip, I...I take back what I said about you!

I mean some of it.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Wilbon just said that tennis in the past was betetr because not only was their Borg/McEnroe/Connors but there was also Lendl,Edberg. Those two were nowhere near the same time period as the big 3. Lendl peaked in the late 80's and Edbger peaked in the early 90's. That's like throwing Sampras and Agassi into the Nadal and Djokovic era.

6. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Consider the source. I would not take what he says about tennis with any kind of authority.

7. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
  8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't really care for Bayless, but I can't stand Steven A. Smith.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Can they have a cage match fight? As much as I don't like Bayless, I really don't like Stephen A., either.

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Glad we all agree here.

11. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    If we can dp it in the next NFL/NBA season, and we can arrange for Adande to have his jaw wired shut for the duration, I'd pay to see it.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I like J.A. Adande.

:p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    lol @ Screamin' A and Skip Baseless.

But why, during this week of all weeks, has the person I keep seeing on ESPN - again and again - been His High Exaltedness Lord Tebow The First?

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Adande's not nearly as bad as those other guys.

15. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Yeah I was also wondering why every time I go to the cafeteria or a restaurant and ESPn is on I see Bayless and Smith yelling about Tebow. Literally about 75% of the time

16. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Chink in the Armor. Just an honest mistake. Yah.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I've only heard the comment was made, not the context. It is an expression though, so whoever said that might not have said intentionally, but, he obviously should have thought before he spoke.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The person who put it the website's been fired. It is a real saying, but you've got to type it out and then read it before you submit the content.

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The University of South Florida student newspaper takes a view that I agree with:

http://www.usforacle.com/opinion/espn-wrong-to-apologize-for-chink-in-the-armor-1.2703219

I particularly agree with this paragraph:

This was, pure and simple, a drastic overreaction by ESPN. Shame on them.

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    ESPN apologizes again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I never would have even been aware of a slur there had there not been an uproar. Hear the phrase so much (in completely non-racial terms) that it didn't even occur to me that there was another meaning.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Exactly. I didn't even know about the racist meaning until I heard about this. This uproar only serves to ensure that (to quote the editorial I linked a few posts above) "a meaningless racial slur is preserved because of the hyper-sensitive political correctness of modern media." ESPN's error here was not in allowing the phrase to be used in the first place, but in firing someone and apologizing.

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I disagree. Consider the following from Peter King's mailbag this week:

"With all of the (completely valid) attention surrounding ESPN's multiple racist remarks with regards to Jeremy Lin, what I also find shocking is in the coverage thereof. Every reporter (including yourself) sees fit to publish the racist epithet used by ESPN. Is that really necessary? As an Asian-American myself, reading it over and over just perpetuates the pain and anger. I ask you: if the racist term at issue here had been the most common ones used for African-Americans or Latino/as, would you all be quoting it as often? And if so, I ask you another question: for what purpose? Isn't it enough to know that it was a hateful, despicable term? Why pour more salt into the wound?"

It was stupid of ESPN to print the headline, and they were correct is handing out disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to the offending party. Period.

25. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I've got to agree with that writer and Inty. I can't believe that you've never heard "chink" used as a racial term. The editor who put the phrase up has profusely (and form what I'd bet sincerely) apologized for his lapse of judgement. His statement is included in that report.

editHere's a brief overview of the term from Slate.