main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN E'ville Jedi's Star Wars Literature Forum

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Ulkesh2, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    ( play the Emperor's musical theme )

Hello fellow readers this be your not-so-humble Book Club Fuhrer. This is to be a 'sticky' for discussion of issues impacting the E'ville Jedi Book Club. Here we will post topics regarding SW novels, comics, and role-playing materials. Also feel free to post about non-SW novels, comics, and role-playing materials.

2. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    This is from www.starwars.com

First Look: The Essential Atlas
    October 05, 2007

Fly from one side of the galaxy to the other and see everything in between with the next installment of the revamped Essential Guides to Star Wars from Del Rey Books. This is so much more than a revisit to the first edition Essential Guide to Planets and Moons. Authors and Star Wars astrogators Jason Fry and Daniel Wallace have meticulously researched the Star Wars universe of movies, books, comics and more to create an unparalleled resource for Star Wars travelers.
    Inside Star Wars: The Essential Atlas, learn about the structure of the galaxy, the astronomical and geopolitical divisions and distinction that frame this far-away setting. Sections devoted to specific regions in the galaxy include the Deep Core, the Colonies, Hutt Space, the Outer Rim and more. An alphabetical collection of planetary profiles details over 70 worlds, while the historical atlases chart the expansion of galactic exploration, conquest and conflict from the earliest campaigns of Xim the Despot, to the rise of Palpatine's Galactic Empire, to the brutal invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong to the latest conflict between Corellia and Coruscant. An expansive Appendix lists the galaxy's star systems with notes about sector and regional placement for easy reference.

Star Wars: The Essential Atlas is due out in June 2008 from Del Rey Books.

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/img/20071005_bg.jpg]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks to be awesome! I can hardly wait.

3. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    For those patiently awaiting the SW hardcover novel titled Death Star we now have officially have six days to wait. For those patiently awaiting Republic Commando - True Colours we have at least three weeks more. For those patiently awaiting LOTF-Fury we have an even more intolerable amount of time to bite at our nails in anticipation (insert Rocky Horror Picture Show joke here - now).;)

4. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Here is another handy guide to the SW literature to be covered in the remaining months of 2007

1. October

a. Death Star hardcover novel
    b. Republic Commando - True Colors paperback novel
    c. Legacy comic book issue number 18
    d. other

2. November

a. LOTF - Fury
    b. Book Club Fuhrer's B-day (November 18) - yes bring many gifts - need a list? - can provide

3. December

a. SW-RPG-Starships Of The Galaxy REVISED EDITION!

4. January

a. to be announced

5. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    Death Star is out! Ulkesh found it at Books-a-Million on Green River.

6. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    Wow... completely forgot about Death Star.

Is it me, or did this book drop with absolutely ZERO fanfare or hype? Even the official site has made no mention of it. :oops:

7. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Well truth be told I think Death Star is a really a 'filler'. We're between LOTF novels and less than two weeks from Republic Commando - True Colours. I ordered Death Star from Wal-Mart, but have decided to return it. The novel looks interesting, but I'm cutting my spending by at least $30. I now collect only the following titles -

1. Legacy Of The Force novels

2. Legacy comics

3. Battlestar Galactica comics

Death Star is a speciality topic novel set in the time frame just prior to A New Hope. A chance to retcon the various 'official' EU sources. I've thumbed through Death Star and it seems to have shades of Casablanca and All's Quiet On The Western Front in the mix. I'll wait and see if the library will have the audio-book.

8. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Saw the Battlestar Galactica role-playing game at Barnesa and Noble today!

9. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I am enjoying Death Star.

I absolutely will not pay $45 for a book about BG, so I am staying clear of that.

Edric

10. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    The latest Last Of The Jedi novels is released. The title I think is Against The Empire. We will at some point next year review the Last Of The Jedi series.

11. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    Here's my little idea about the books I am reading now.

1) Finished Death Star. Good, but not great.
    2) Reading The Last Days of Krypton - Reason I am proud to be a sci-fi geek. Great in spades!
    3) William Shatners latest novel of Young Kirk meeting young Spock. I will finish it but can say that, for me, it is Rubish.

Edric

12. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    I'm in the middle of Death Star and so far kinda agree with you.

I'm also reading the "relaunch" of the Star Trek TNG novels post-Nemesis: I finished the first two and will start the 3rd after I finish Death Star.

Their not bad for Trek novels. It's nice that the Trek novels are all set in one continuity now like the SW novels. Events in one book have repercussion or are at least referred to in other books of the other trek series. The stories are still kind of hit-or-miss though, but I guess that's true across the board for any series (see the SW Bugsl** trilogy or Blackfleet Crisis.)

13. Edric-The-White

Apr 5, 2005
    ^^I agree. The 2008 Trek novels are mostly going to be post-Nemesis with an emphasis on the reconstruction after the Dominion War. They are going to leave the 23rd century alone for JJ Abrams and his group to explore.

I had to stop reading Shatner's novel. I hate to be negative. However, for me personally the novel was so terrible 1/3rd of the way through that I decided to focus all my reading on The Last Days of Krypton.

Edric

14. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    All the Republic Commando lovers get ready to party!!! Next summer we are getting the last RC book in hardcover and it is a hellz yeah title, "Republic Commando: Order 66".

I like Death Star so far because I get to read more about Tarkin. I am also reading...and it pains to say so...the Shatner Collsion Course novel. Since I have only read a couple of the Peter David books and no concept about continuity in the Trekverse outside of the order the shows and movies go, I like the book as just a fun read. It is fun reading Shatner write about what made James Tiberius Kirk, James Tiberius Kirk. Considering they shafted him and are only having Nemoy in the movie, more power to him!

15. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Kinda early to discuss this, but-

As many here now know the novelization of Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull is written by James Rollins. Not James Luceno as some of the less informed once thought. I'd be the last person to name names on that particular count ( Hoosiertrooper ). My question is have any of you read any novels by James Rollins? If so what they be like?

16. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Kesh- check your email :)

17. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    [face_laugh]
    Hey I just report what I'm told.

Still no Darth Maul force bubble on the horizon either... ;)

I'm more excited about The Complete Making of Indiana Jones. I liked the Star Wars making of by Rinzler, so I hope this one will be as good... and as concise. The Star Wars making-of covered everything, and I could only get my hands on the "short" edition.

18. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    FYI, due to ... something, Borders doesn't have RC:TC yet. Nor does, oddly enough, BN. I had to go to Books-a-million to get mine.

I'm still trying to decide if I'll return it and buy one from work to save the money :p

19. yoda_pimp

Jun 18, 2002
    I finished Death Star. It was good, but it glossed over some stuff about construction delays too much. It enjoy the cut scenes about what was happening elsewhere on the DS during the prison break of Leia and the Battle of Yavin. I dig Motti even more now!!!

20. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Despayre

Did I missread something, or did the novel not mention the destruction of Despayre?

21. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Exciting news for fans of the new version of Battlestar Galactica-

Today at the comic book store the BG one-shot issue about the 'Beast' was released. Nice lead up to the BG-Razor TV-movie. Yes Ravenclaw you may borrow it ;)

22. capnfatpants

capnfatpants Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 20, 2006
    ********************SPOILERS***************************************************
    Yeah you missed it. It was in there.

I finished the book too.

It was just okay. Not a great read, not a bad read. Really, it felt like a filler novel between "event" novels, or a fluff novel like the latest Zahn book (whatever it was called).

My biggest beef with it was all the stuff that took me "out" of the story. The throwaway mention someone named "Teh Roxxors", which is computergamers speak for saying someone "rocks": "54r4h is teh r0xx0rz" (Sarah is "the roxxors", she rocks!)
    And someone else was described as a Luddite. Was there a Ned Ludd in the GFFA?
    There were couple of others, but I forgot to take notes (again).

I did like the change in feelings of many of the people once they saw the destruction of Despayre and realized what the DS, and the Empire, was capable of - and then again more fully when Alderan was destroyed - and teh Alderanian troopers sitting in the bar afterwards - nice scene.

I also liked that all the seemingly disparate storylines came together in the end.

*****************************END SPOILERS************************************************

23. yoda_pimp

Jun 18, 2002
    You must have really been skimming.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Um, .... found it [face_blush] . Yah, I accidently lost my place.

Jammies

25. Ulkesh2

Oct 28, 2001
    Hey fellow readers Stacky will give us a Republic Commando-True Colors presentation on Nov. 27, 2008. Got that Stacky? You get to be in the spotlight. Be ready. HEH-HEH-HEH[face_skull]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.