main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Expanded Universe Defense Force

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , May 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Oh, and for those of you who haven't been around in a while, let's try and nix the signing in and out, okay ? Thanks. :)

Also, does anyone know if the mods will be allowing an AotC Discussion Thread to debate the movie after we've seen it ? I know that Kadue had posted a thread on AotC, but it seems to have disappeared...

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
  3. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ahh, I see the thread that wont go die has reared its head again. ::Sigh:: Well, everything's civil over there for now, but lets keep an eye on this one. Thanks for the link, TIEPilot.

4. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Righty-o, DVader.

5. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    hey everybody...

this is my first post in our new home..

just like to say i like the new envviorment in here... this is were we belong.

i just got back from a great weekend with my fraternity in lake havasu... craziness.

anyway... checking that link tiepilot.

6. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    hey guys guess who just got a phone call to be interviewed by the Daily Bruin which is our newspaper here at UCLA....

i guess through a friend of a friend of a friend type deal they heard about this guy who is a HUGE star wars fan.... ME

so i get a phone call that they want to interview me... how cool is that. my high school paper interviewed me for TPM and now my new school paper will interview me for AotC... the onlydiffernce is... that the Daily Bruin circulates to over 50,000 where my high school paper went to like 2000.

so my question is.... i need some advice about what i should talk about. i am thinking to go for a fantasy view of star wars... to stress the dark/light mythology of it.

what do youguys think???

7. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    WOAH! :eek:

I come to our new home and already there are 2 pages!

sheesh! ;)

How long have I been a major? That is higher than a commander right?

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Excellent topic UCLA. It would be a good idea to point out to "the casual SW fan" that Star Wars isn't really Sci-Fi, it's fantasy with lasers & spaceships.

Genghis, the Revised Core Rules are simply outstanding! Basically, everything got tightened & tweaked somewhat, all of the classes got tinkered with, and they totally revised the vehicle & starship combat rules. Anybody who has SW Gamer #8 has gotten a sneak preview of the starship rules. They also added new Prestige classes, including a couple from the Dark Side Sourcebook (Dark Side Devotee and Dark Side Marauder). They didn't include the Sith prestige classes, but when they gave stat blocks for three different Sith Lords ;) they included the special qualities for all of them.

It's definately worth the money. I'm sure any gaming store would have it; or failing that, major bookstores like Barnes & Noble. Is the gaming scene not all that big in the Big Easy? Or are people too much into Hurricanes & Huge *** Beers? :p

Oh, as a heads up, this thread in PSA might be trouble. It's about Obi-Wan & Owen Lars.

9. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Sounds cool Bria! I am from Littleton, Colorado.

I'll get on that link that is posted ASAP. I have class in like 10 minutes.

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yup, yodaboy, I promoted you to Major in thanks for your hard work lobbying the Admins to move us back here! :D

11. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Welcome back, yodaboy. Long time no see ! :)

UCLA : Thats totally cool, man. If you're looking for something to talk about maybe you can discuss the mythos and why it appeals to all ages ? Just a thought...

Anyway, Im off to check out that link JM provided a link for. If things get hairy I'll check back in ASAP.

12. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    dvader i like that idea and that is exactly what i am going to try and do.... so could you help me with that... maybe elaborate on your own view of it.

13. Face Loran

Face Loran Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 1999
    Valyn: Sure, I'll watch your back, just like I cover all my friends.

:D

Both links look pretty calm right now.

14. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Sure, UCLA, glad to help. Ill try my best ! :)

Anyway, I am a fan of the mythos because it takes me back to a simpler time, my childhood. As corny as it sounds, the classic struggle between good and evil, between heroes and villains, is something one discovers as a child and is never forgotten. Ive literally grew up on Luke, Han and Leia, and I wouldnt have it any other way. It has always been a healthy outlet for imaginative children, and, in later years, and inspiration for me to read more (once I discovered the EU), as well as try my hand at writing. And lets not forget all of the great people Ive met here on the boards ! :)

Ultimately, I think SW has an appeal that will never wane or die, simply because the classic themes it represents will always be relevant, especially in this world in which we live.

How's that, UCLA ? I hope it helps !

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Merk...
    Our one pure-gaming store tanked last year. This is a RPG wasteland. I suspect it's a direct result of people having too many Hurricanes and Huge *** Beers - one of the drawbacks, I suppose. :D

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    *eh* You could probably get it shipped from an online source in a couple of days turnaround time....

....assuming the delivery route doesn't take them through the Quarter. ;)

17. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    nice.... thanks dvader... thats going to help me in the interview...

if i could pick your guys brain some more....

how do you think the good/evil light/dark mythos applyes to TPM and AotC...

18. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    My First Post in our True Home:

It's been a long time, but we are home. I'm proud to be a pilot for the EUDF.

Anyway, UCLA, try an analogy about how the dark/light struggle symbolizes the struggle of man and his fight against his base instincts.

Or, about how SW could be seen as an allegory refering to the Christian bible, and how it's (SW) the answer to the question, "What if Jesus had taken the devil up on his offers?"

Or, you could just talk about how pumped you are that AotC is gonna whup Spider-Man's record in a day, not a weekend.

Whatever, it's up to you.

19. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I like your analogy of Jesus taking the Devil's offer, Null.

If you want to look at it in its simplest terms, I believe the nine year old Anakin in TPM was blatant symbolism of Good / Light. Even down to his moppet like looks, which may have been a bit much. I always thought they made Anakin too good, almost too angelic in TPM. Its like they felt they had to really stress the fact that Anakin was basically this good kid, which would have been obvious without all of the cliched symbolism.

But I digress... ;) :)

20. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    cool

thanks for all your help guys...

side question: did they take away the polls from lit? i seesome that were created just a few days ago, however i can't seem to create one now...

21. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Yeah, they were taken away. People started creating stupid ones, then there was a poll about hating polls and it all spiralled downwards after that, so they were taken away I guess because of that...

22. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Art_Core...
    "People started creating stupid ones"

Wow, who would've ever thought that would happen.

23. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    And so goes the life of the poll. It is indeed a vicious cycle. ;)

24. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Genghis, good to see you here, seem's you've been missing from the boards recently.

25. UCLAJediMaster

Feb 16, 2001
    that stinks...oh well maybe they will let them back some day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.