main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Expression on Interest for Hard Core Collectors

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by dr_spider_man, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr_spider_man

dr_spider_man Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    Hey, Hey, my name is Leslie Morris. How's it going. I just throwing this out there and see what happens. I was wanting to make a documentary about the natural of collecting and hard core nerd obsession? Why on earth do people collect things? What make someone like something so much that they get a tattoo of it on there body? I have a friend who owns a second hand comic book store and I've spent countless hours trying to get to the bottom of it and have barely scratched the surface. I find it fascinating as it touches upon so many issues, economic to existential. So if your interesting and think you can help me please email me at dr.spider.man@gmail.com. if not, catch you at Armageddon. ;)

Regards
    LEZ

P.s. Just in case your wondering I'm obsessed with "Edward D. Wood Jr" and mid 60's exploitation films

2. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Hey Lez, welcome to the VicFF :D

I'm a bit flighty, so I don't have many obsessions (well, comics, but you know, I don't have a shop full :p), but I'm sur there's a few people in here that can help or at least open up a nice little discussion on the nature of what they lurve.

Good luck on your quest!

3. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm thinking lordvaderFF is the person you're after - according to the article I read about him on the plane the other day he built an extra story on his house to accommodate his collection!

4. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...the power of the press. :)

Here are some OLD Pictures of the collection area.

5. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    It's amazing where you pop up, Chris. I was flying to Adelaide for a gig, and there you were, in my in-flight magazine. :p

6. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Some people would call that funny!

I would call it ******* scary :p

I know the person who made one of your first Vader costumes, I think Chris :p

7. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Really?

Only ever had one costume.....did "upgrade" as I went along though. :)

I remember when JetStar did an article on me in their magazine, friend of mine in Queensland phoned to say they were on a flight and "bingo" there I was......who said history never repeats. :)

8. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    It was Virgin, this time though. Although I suppose you knew that. ;)

9. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Yep...knew that.

One of my customers gave me the magazine...seems she works for the airport and has access to all the inflight mags'. :)

10. dr_spider_man

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks for your replied guys. While I have your ear I might try and get this conversation rolling. First I must say when I refer to sci-fi fans lets just assume I'm talking about sci-fi/fantasy/horror/anime fans in general.

Connor Trinneer made this really good point today at Armageddon. He was talking about working on 'Enterprise'. He said something to the extent that "Star Trek" belongs to the fans and he was (I forget him precise metaphor but it was something like) a visitor to the club house, as it were. Then he said Science Fiction fans have a greater impact an influence on the course of the show than any other genera. Which is SO true! Why do Science Fiction fans feel ownership over the material. Why do Science Fictions fan's go to more length than fans of over genera's? Science Fiction convention and Fanzine have been occurring since the 1930's!!! While most people were trying survive the depression Forrest J Ackerman and Bob Burns were collection movie props!!!

Are we Obsessed? Passionate? Crazy? Or are we a produce of our environment? Think about it. Everything about Science Fiction is in excess and melodramatic. Science Fiction allows the problems to be much greater. In a romantic comedy the main problem is getting the girl. In science fiction is the main problem is getting the girl and save the entire universe from impending destruction!

And we have it in excess! There are 699 episodes of "Star Trek combined (700 if u include "The Cage") 10 movies and one of the way, 300+ episodes of Stargate combined, one movie and a few more on the way, Dr Who has been the tv for the best part of THIRTY YEARS, and plus the 3 movies... have you been to the science fiction section of a book store. those book aren't thin. Robert Jordan died before he could finished his 13 part epic "Wheel of Time" Series (which add up to 7000+ pages). Every single character out of ever single sciece fiction series/movie seems to have its own action figure (then as new one every season). Science Fiction/Fantasy films have some of the highest budges, and are the highest grossing, of any films of all time.

Unlike other genera's Science Fiction has changed the world we live in. Techology has been created because of Science Fiction Films. Techology has mimicked that of Science Fiction. Cat scans, mp3's, and mobile phones were all a result of Star Trek.

So it just make sense that the fans would respond in melodramatic, excessive way! It make sense that Chris would build a new room on there house to keep all of his stuff, I saw a girl today had Star Trek "Enterprise" tattoo's all over her back (hey on that note I was going to approach her for the documentary but I couldn't find her then I had to leave so if any one know who she is could u give her my email address THX). If you go on fansfilm.net there are 1149 fan films there at the moment. If someone tried to make an "Seinfeild" fan film people would say that was the WORST IDEA EVER but say "Star Wars" fan film people are lining up with there Light Sabers. I once worked on a $10,000 Buffy fan film! $10,000 for goodness sakes!!!

But still is this a good thing? What makes it a bad thing? Whats your feelings on the subject? What do you collect? Why don't you collect? What would you never collect? Whats the points of collecting? DISCUSS!

Also if you have more than one of some your technically a collector and I want to here your option on the subject ;)

11. dr_spider_man

Jan 17, 2003
    Also dose any know anyone with a massive "War Hammer" collection or any Victoria "War Hammer" boards?

Thanks
    LEZ

12. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005

Actually, all technology that you see today has been reverse-engineered from Megatron and partly stems from Decepticon technology.

I know because I saw it in a movie :p

13. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    [citation needed]

;)

14. SirNickTheTiny

SirNickTheTiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005

:eek:

No, :eek: :eek:

15. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    What?

Not big enough for you?

16. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Sounds like a Shatner quote to me lol. I demand proof.

17. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Proof of Shatner or Proof of the quote?

18. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    proof of the proof of the quote

19. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    Ahhhh...so you want Proof, that the proof of the proof exists.

20. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    yes the damn honest proof

21. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    The whole proof and nothing but the proof...so help you Roofle?

22. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The Roofle!!

You can't handle the Roofle!!

23. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    I would have thought a "HARD CORE" collector was someone that collected Hussler magazines.

24. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I remember pinching my old dad's PICTURE magazines as a young teen.

25. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    We just walked into the store and bought a copy of Mayfair and said it was for dad.

The advantages of living in the country.

(so it was you that pinched my picture magazines)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.