main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FALL JEDI DRAFT OF '06 (Winner: Shadow_of_Durron)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Suzuki_Akira, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Perhaps when prepped the fighter could choose the arena?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Zizz

Zizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2005
    That's actually a damn good idea IMO. Would be much better at adding discussion than prep. If two more locations were to be come up with, that would be eight. And if there were 16 GM's total (8 matches per round), and 8 individual fighters for each team (with perhaps two on the bench), each round would have a match in a different area. Not sure what the other two could be, but I like that idea much more than prep.

3. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    For some reason I really liked the ideas of fights in different arenas. Whenever Kit Fisto fought people would say, if only this was in water he would have won. I say put him in the WATER!

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I like that idea as well. It seems like it could work, and it would add a lot.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

I'd lean this way if we were going to go in such a route. Maybe the prepped fighter can choose the arena and have knowledge of his opponent before choosing. They wouldn't bring anything extra to the fight per se except for the little bit of time they'd have to plan out a strategy (no extra weapons brought) Thoughts?

I'd like to come up with a few more options in terms of fighting areas though...

6. Specterace

Specterace Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    Now this is an idea I could live with. If the opponent's prep effects are specifically restricted to choosing an arena and planning out a strategy to be employed that uses the lightsaber/lightwhip/light-whatever as their only combat/support item, then it could remain reasonable and limit the potential for complications and silliness. I'd go along with somthing like this, to the point were I could even suggest multiple arenas in which to fight...

I'm still VERY opposed to the 16-man single conference/single talent pool idea (or any idea that includes the complete combination of a sharp expansion of picks, big double-digit team conferences, AND a single talent pool, all without separate conferences). My honest opinion is that the integrity and fairness of the draft would be far too compromised to warrant that. Like I said, I'm all for increasing picks, but not to where the picks nearly double from one draft to the next. Likewise, I believe double-digit team conferences should be limited to twelve teams, and not expanded beyond that. And if you're going into 16-player (or more) drafts, then the only way to maintain fairness and integrity while limiting the "luck" factor would be to make it double conference/double talent pool. Like I said, I honestly do not believe the talent pool (at this time) is balanced enough to withstand anything more than 12 teams a pool with 8-10 (with 10 being a stretch) people picked per team, per pool without completely stacking an advantage to the top picks. The pool will simply not distribute itself evenly enough, no matter what sort of skills the GM's have.

Anyway, another one of my 1/50ths of a dollar.

Specterace

7. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    What happens when two prepped Jedi face eachother? They can't both choose the battleground, can they? That has the potential to get very messy.

I like the idea of randomized arenas, but as just that. Randomized.

8. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    I think that prepping, of any kind, choosing the arena or otherwise, is a bad idea. It would only complicate things in my opinion. I'd also hate to see a weaker Jedi/Sith gain an edge and possibly a victory because of this, as the purpose of this draft is to make the most powerful team of Force-sensitives as possible, not to accomodate weaker characters. I also feel we have enough variables to account for as it is when determining power, there's sword-handling, experience, knowledge and power in the Force, etc.

I'd be okay with randomized arenas, but nothing more. I don't necessarily like or dislike this idea (randomization), but I'd accept it.

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002

I've got some ideas on this, but they'll have to wait until I'm done with class tomorrow... Good points everyone! Keep the ideas coming in...

10. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    My primary idea on that was that then we could either randomize the location or have them cancel each other out and fight in a neutral location.

11. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    Alright folks, sorry for the triple post but there's an update on things I wanted to let everyone know about...

The Mods got together and decided that they wanted us to run a drama free 12 GM draft once more before we expand the GM pool. I'm fine with it, and I hope everyone else is also because they're acting in the best interest of the thread and forum. For that we thank them:)

With that in mind, I've decided that we have a number of fighters to add to the draft list. Durron helped out compiling the list, and the last time around it held 145 fighters. This time however we've found a group of capable guys and girls with enough to be judged on to make a list of 175. With that in mind, I'm going to allow the players per team to be expanded from 6 to 10 in order to get some of those fighters into the discussion.

I'm also leaning heavily towards implementing the idea of arenas for two individual matches per round. They would be used as a prep and along with that prep would come some basic planning and knowledge of the fighter's opponent. No additional weapons will be brought to the fight.

In order to keep the arena situation from getting outrageous, after the teams have been totally drafted each GM will have to submit to me two arenas that they would be willing to use for their team just so I can verify and OK it. When the GM sends numbers in for each round, s/he will have to designate the prep to which fighter s/he chooses. Along with that comes telling me which arena each fighter is going to use. The arena does not have to be a planet, it can be as specific as the GM wishes. If the preps coincide in a match then they would cancel one another out except for the basic knowledge and planning each character would have. It would need to look something like this (and this is only a poorly thought out example in terms of what arena to choose):

1) Obi-Wan Kenobi
    2) Kit Fisto (prep on Mon Calimari)
    3) Anakin Skywalker
    4) Mace Windu
    5) Kar Vastor (prep on Haruun Kal)
    6) Yoda
    7) Shaak Ti
    8) Lord Hoth
    9) Tott Doneeta
    10) Arca Jeth

As you can see, there is not going to be a set list of usable arenas. That is up for the GM to decide for themselves before matches start. Like I said however they need to be run by me first to ensure fairness.

The start up date will be January 26th unless I say so otherwise in this thread later. It will probably be around 4-5 EST that evening when I get off of work. I have the judges picked out, but I'll announce them later as I'm waiting to hear back from one.

12. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Ten, eh? Yeah, this is going to be interesting.

And I suppose that works in terms of prep. It'll also be interesting to see how that works out. Like the Vastor example. Of course, we all know he doesn't need that. ;)

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It should be interesting to see what you do with a Luke squad, Shurron ... looking forward to it.

14. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    Guaranteed spot in the draft doesn't equal having the first pick. Unless it's always been done that way, I told him he had a spot saved just to ensure that the champion would be able to defend his title (something I got screwed on more than once).

15. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Luke? Bah! I'm taking Zett Jukasa and I'm running straight to the top with him.

EDIT: That's the way it's usually done... but do whatever you like, I guess.

16. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I'm glad that it is (tenativly) going to start on a Friday. That means I have a decent chance of signing up in time.

I like the changes...it will be interesting to see what happens with them.

17. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hope I don't miss this...

18. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    I dont know if this will work.

Or if im putting this idea in too late.

But what about a power list.

Limiting player to say 3 or 4, of the most powerful jedi.

I guess that it doesnt matter too much in this draft because generally GMs know what there doing.

19. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    God, no. That would basically be limiting good drafters and letting rookies/bad drafters catch monumental breaks.

In short, it would NEVER work. Not now, not EVER. The field is way too evened out in certain spots as it is.

(In fact, I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but how you could even imagine thinking up something like that is beyond me...)

Specterace

20. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    It's used in other drafts, which is where he probably got the idea. I don't think it would work here in the Jedi Draft, but throwing out ideas is never a bad thing:).

21. Specterace

Jun 4, 2005
    OK, now I remember. But still, unlike the Jedi Draft, drafts like the comic book and videogame draft feature quite a few fighters who are truly far and away better to the point where restricting such choices would indeed promote fairness. The reason for this is because those fighters (prepped or no) are exponentially more powerful than the rest of the field, to the point where you would need to employ unfeasible stuff like trumping three quality guys at once to even have a chance at beating them. Such fighters don't exist in this draft (except for maybe Luke, and even he can probably be beat with a top-shelf two-man trump or two). Therefore, all you would be doing is limiting good drafters and gift-wrapping breaks to bad drafters by making a "restricted" list that consists of fighters who really don't warrant such high regard over the rest of the field.

Specterace

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Every draft I've participated in (and lurked through) has given the defending champion first pick overall.

23. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Yeah, the PL is kind of necessity in the Comic Draft, and over in the VGD, it's actually more of a crutch. I'm hoping that within a draft or two, everyone will get a handle on who the really good picks are and we can do away with the PL in the VGD. I mean, even with us basically telling the GMs who the best picks generally were, there were still some major screw ups this last time.

Totally unecessary for this draft, though.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh, yeah, totally agreed. The Jedi Draft should never have a power list. But I do disagree with getting rid of it in the VGD.

25. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Meh. It's just seems to me that a lot of those lesser PL picks there are kinda iffy. Maybe after the list is tweaked for the next one it'll look better. But that's got nothing to do with this. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.