main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource FanFic Orientation Guide - Newbies Check In Here! - Interview with a Moderator, Part Ace!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Welcome to the Fan Fiction Boards! We?re so glad you?re here!

Now that you are here, you probably have a lot of questions about the Fan Fiction Boards, posting stories, and how to fit into this crazy community.

That?s why I created this Fan Fiction Orientation Guide. This Orientation Guide should help answer any questions that you may have about the boards and fan fiction. If it doesn?t, just feel free to ask!

I?ve recruited several helpful volunteers that have offered their services as ?Orientation Leaders.? They?ve agreed to try to visit the thread every now and then and answer questions and to also be available via PM to answer any questions you may have.

I?d like to say welcome to the Fan Fiction Boards again, and I hope you find your stay here to be a good one. :)

Questions for Newbies:

Name:
    What kind of stories you're interested in:
    Why you joined the boards:

This week?s discussion topic:
    Interview with a Moderator, Part Ace!

Previous topics:
    Top Ten Reasons to Get a Master (or get adopted)
    Challenges. Why should you write them? Do they get more notice than other new stories?
    How do I get my story noticed?
    How do you get up the courage to post your first story?
    Plot Bunnies: What are they? How do I get them? How do I stop them from multiplying!?!
    What are the different lengths of stories, and how do I choose? How do I discipline myself to write the stories of certian lengths?
    When does a newbie stop being a newbie?
    How do I avoid being called a 'n00b'?
    Etiquette in replying to people?s stories.
    So what qualifies as a good reply?
    Top 5(+) Reasons To Delurk
    Awards. What are those? And what are those nominations?
    Top 5 reasons to vote in the Awards?
    Interviews with the Moderators.
    Betaing Help.
    Enough discussion, bring a friend week!
    Oldbies recommend great stories!
    Best Underrated Story Week!
    Master/Padawan success stories!
    Interview with a Moderator, Part II: rhonderoo
    Halloween Story
    Fake Interviews With Favorite Characters Planning
    Fake Interviews with Favorite Characters
    So you're new... let's help you figure out these boards :)
    The Awards Are Coming!
    Everything You Never Thought You Wanted to Know about the Archives
    Newbie Challenge!
    Show some love to that special someone who helpd you out on the boards!
    Posting etiquette - What's good and bad form?
    Interview with Ferus Olin
    We've been open for a year! Party!
    Moving Beyond Viggies
    Let's Develop a Plot - Ending Star Wars!
    Let's Develop a Plot - Chat with Authors
    Shameless Plug Week!
    How to style posts
    Actions Speak as Loud as Words
    Fan Fiction Awards Simplified!
    Interview With a Moderator Part 3: oqidaun
    Newbies' favorite stories
    Guess the Newbie's Story!
    Awards 2007 Simplified!
    Ask the Questions You've Been Afraid to Ask
    Second Newbie Challenge!

2. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Orientation Guide:

How do I post a story?

First step: Choose the appropriate board to post on. If your story takes place before The Phantom Menace, choose Before the Saga. If your story takes place during the movies, as in somewhere between The Phantom Menace and Return of the Jedi, then your story belongs in The Saga. If your story occurs after Return of the Jedi, your story belongs in Beyond the Saga.

*Note: You should not post a story in the Fan Fiction Resource, and you should not put a non-story thread in a board made for stories. Please try to figure out which board to post your story in before you post it.

Second step: Once you have chosen the appropriate board and you have entered that board, you will see a link that says ?Post New Topic.? This link will be located at the top of the board, under where it displays the name you are logged in under.

Third step: Once you have clicked on the ?Post New Topic? link, you will see a page that asks you for your subject and body. The subject is where you put your title and your body is where you put your first post.

Fourth step: (Optional) In your first post you probably want to add the below list so that your story can be properly indexed. It also helps your readers know a little more about your story before they read it. :)
    Title:
    Author(s):
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Genre:
    Keywords:
    Summary:
    Notes:

Fifth step: Before you click the ?Post? button, click the ?Preview? button. The preview button will allow you to see what your post will look like so that you can fix any problems that you may have in your post. When you are satisfied that you like how it looks, click the post button.

Sixth step: Congratulations! You have now posted!

How do I edit my story/title?

At the bottom of the post that you want to edit you will see a row of links. They are: Edit Message, Post Reply, Active Topic Notification, Private Messages, and Post History.

Click on the ?Edit Message? link and you can edit your post. The ?Edit? button will post your updated post, and the preview will let you see what your edited post looks like before you post it.

If you want to edit your title you need to click ?Edit Message? link to your first post. On the page that your link brings you to you can edit the title. Remember to click the ?Edit? button to update your post or title.

How Do I Get Someone to Read my Fic?

This is definitely the question that gets asked the most. If you?re new, or relatively new, it will take a while. Don?t fret, it?s okay. It happened to all of us.

Suggestions for getting readers:
    • Have patience

• Don?t give up

• Get a master ? they have to read your story ;)

• Post a link to your story in your signature

• Post a link to your story in your profile

• Read other peoples? stories. (Don?t openly ask them to read it. That?s against the rules.)

• Get your name out there ? the more it?s out there (but please don?t spam), the higher probability that someone will click on your link and read your story.

You might also want to check out the thread entitled ?So what does it take to get someone to read your stuff??

Fan Fiction FAQs:

If you are new you need to check out the Frequently Asked Questions so that you can read and understand the rules that we are expected to follow.

Keywords, phrases, and other oddities that we use:

?Ships: Relationships. A well known pairing, which is generally romantic, between two people. A good example would be J/J: Jaina/Jag, or H/L: Han/Leia.

Up!: What people post when a thread is sinking to the bottom, beca

3. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Orientation Guide Continued

What do all of those strange letters mean?

Those strange letters are usually abbreviations to ?Ships or other strange names that we give to things. Some common ones are:

Ships:
    A/A or Ani/Ami - Anakin and Padme Amidala
    Obidala ? Obi-Wan and Amidala stories
    Siriwan ? Obi-Wan and Siri stories
    H/L - Han and Leia
    L/M - Luke and Mara
    S/S - The Skywalker and Solo families
    J/J - Jag and Jaina
    K/J - Kyp and Jaina
    J/Z ? Jaina and Zekk
    J/TK - Jacen and Tenel Ka
    J/D ? Jacen and Danni Quee
    J/T ? Jacen and Tahiri
    T/Jg ? Tahiri and Jag

Book & Games Terminology:
    EU - Expanded Universe (all of the books)
    JA - The Jedi Apprentice books about Obi-Wan's youth before TPM
    JQ - The Jedi Quest books about Anakin Skywalker's youth before AotC.
    JJK ? Junior Jedi Knight Stories
    YJK ? Young Jedi Knights stories
    PT - Episodes 1-3, the prequels
    OT - Episodes 4-6, the original trilogy
    NJO - The New Jedi Order books, 25 years post RotJ
    KOTOR - Knights of the Old Republic

The Movies:
    TPM - The Phantom Menace
    AotC - Attack of the Clones
    RotS ? Revenge of the Sith (Etiquette tip ? put a warning in these about spoilers!)
    ANH - A New Hope
    ESB - The Empire Strikes Back
    RotJ - Return of the Jedi

Board Terminology:
    ByTS or Beyond The Saga ? stories that take place after the movies
    The Saga ? stories that take place during the movies
    BfTS or Before The Saga ? stories that take place before the movies
    GFFA - Galaxy Far Far Away
    inter-trilogy - between the two trilogies
    OC - original character
    AU - alternate universe
    Obi-torture - Obi-Wan gets hurt and comforted
    H/C - hurt/comfort
    squad fic - fighter squadron stories
    Rogues or X-Wing ? Stories about the X-Wing Pilots
    humor - lots of silliness
    angst - anguish, torment, fear, anxiety
    crossover or x-over - mixing Star Wars with another movie, tv series or book
    round robin or RR - multi-author story inviting more people to join in (also called an add-on)
    song fic - a story based on the lyrics of a song
    PPOR - Post Proof or Retract
    OPPM - One Post Per Minute
    DRL - Darth Real Life. A nice little nick name we have for stuff that keeps us from writing, reading, and visiting the boards as often as we'd like.
    DWB - Darth Writer's Block (Not Darth WB ;)). DWB keeps us from writing, even when we want to.
    ISSR ? Interspecies Story

Links

Hopefully you will find any link that you need or might possibly need below.

Fan Fiction Index
    Fan Fiction Forum Index

There are also New Story Indexes that are posted each month for stories that have just been created.

Fan Fiction Newsletter
    Each month a Newsletter is produced for fan fiction. Each newsletter includes links to the previous newsletters.

Dictionary
    Online Dictionary

Social Threads

Official Fan Fiction Social Thread Teenage Writers Society
    The Roaring 'Tweens: Writer's Club for Ages 18-30
    --<-@ Over 30 SW Writers Club! @->--
    The Gentlemen's Writing Guild
    [link=http://boards.theforce.n

4. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Name: Jaya Solo? yes, that is my real name. I?ve even started signing my emails with it. (Sadly.)

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga

Types of stories you read/write: I love funny stories. I?ve actually only written one story, but it?s quite funny. (Or at least I like to think it is and most of my readers agree.) I also like romances. Actually, I like just about all types of stories.

Characters you read/write the most: Young Jedi Knights and Wes Janson (and all of the other people that are at the academy.)

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Read stories and review them. Don?t just lurk ? you have to try to become a part of the community in order for you to be one. Read and make suggestions on boards in the Fan Fiction Resource. Maybe do challenges.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Don?t be scared because you?re new. I was new once too. I also had to endure being called ?Newbie? or ?N00b.? I don?t say it in order to be mean but just as a title of being someone new in the community. We were all new once and some just tend to forget that they haven?t always been here. We?re pretty friendly and most of us don?t bite. ;)

5. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Name: Jes

Board(s) you post to the most: Constantly in Beyond, occasionally in Saga, and never in Before

Types of stories you read/write: Pilot fics! Pilot fics! [face_love] Rogues. I read and write action, drama...some humor, occasionally.

Characters you read/write the most: I read and write the Rogues?specifically, Wedge, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Join a social thread; hang out in discussion threads for characters you like, either in Resource or in the EU Community
    Review to other people?s stuff?that?s how you?ll get readers for your own, and that's how you'll get to know the other people on the board. Having friends makes it all much more enjoyable.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Don?t get offended if people gently criticize your work. They?re only trying to help you improve your writing, and if you listen to them you'll see a difference. :)

Oh, and one more thing, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most of the people on here will be glad to help you - in the boards as a whole and in this thread in particular. Ask here or PM one of us. :D

Jes

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Name: Sara Kenobi

Board(s) you post to the most: The Saga: Fan Fiction, Writer's Resource: Fan Fiction, Beyond the Saga: Fan Fiction, Before the Saga: Fan Fiction.

Types of stories you read/write: AU fiction, Anakin/Padme, Obi-Wan, Vader, Han/Leia, Obidala.

Characters you read/write the most: Han Solo, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Just keep posting and responding to other people's stories as a reader, while you write and post your own work. Get to know as many people that you can. Make friends, and have fun here.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Have patience. The most important thing to understand when you join this community as a writer is to greatly understand that writing stories is not a contest to see who gets the most reader's. You should be writing because you take pleasure in doing it. Your number one reader to please is yourself. The rest will fall into place over time, and commitment, to your writing.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Name: Rachel (I go by Mi)

Board(s) you post to the most: Classic most of the time :p . Before the Saga usually.

Types of stories you read/write: Before the Saga. Mostly OC stories.

Characters you read/write the most: Obi-Wan.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Join social groups, participate in Round Robins, and participate in challenges. Also, if you have the time, just read a random story. It helps broaden your field of reading (and you make more friends!)

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Never give up! Never surren... er.. Never give up. :p

Also, invest in a beta. Microsoft word is handy for spelling errors, but doesn't catch everything.

Oh, and just to emphasize the point, don't be afraid to ask a question! Remember: there are no stupid questions (only stupid answers). ;)

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Name Healer Leona

Board(s) you post to the most: Before the Saga, The Saga, Resource

Types of stories you read/write: Drama, Angst, Humor, I like them all

Characters you read/write the most: My favorite characters are Qui-Gon Jinn & Obi-Wan Kenobi

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Make friends by reading and replying, it?s the quickest way to get to know others and for them to get to know you.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Make use of the forum moderators. We?re here to help you, but can?t if we don?t know your concerns. If you see something out of place, whether on the wrong board or violating the TOS (Terms Of Service), let a mod know. WE don't bite... hard :D

9. C3P0_R2D2

C3P0_R2D2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2005
    Oh kriff, I didn't do the right thing with it. But I'm still not sure if I'm supposed to be an Orientation Leader...

But what the heck?

Name: Marie, no that's not my real name.

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga fanfic

Types of stories you read/write:I don't write at all, I read. YJK, adventure, humor.

Characters you read/write the most: Don't write, I read. J/TK, J/Z, A/T, YJK in general.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Umm... give out cookies, but really, just post. If you've got good proofreading skills, offer to beta in the beta thread.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Stay away from me when I'm on a sugar high.

And seriously, just watch what you say. Don't edit messages 500 times, preview messages before you post,and Don't flame!!.

10. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Name: Jaina_Solo_15
    Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga, Saga
    Types of stories you read/write: Romance. I typically write a lot of Jaina/Jag romance/adventures stories, but I'm branching out. I read a lot of Saga era Siriwan, a lot of Jaina/Jag fan fiction and secretly love Luke/Mara fan fiction. :)
    Characters you read/write the most: Jaina/Jag and more recently Anakin and Padme.
    Advice on how to get involved in the community: Don't be afraid to post. Everyone here was a newbie once and nobody can get to know you if you don't post.
    One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Don't give up! Even if you feel like you're being ignored or your frustrated with how your stories are going, don't give up. Keep posting and just put yourself out there.

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Name: Layren
    Board(s) you post to the most: Before the Saga and Writer's Resource Forum. I lurk mostly in Saga but I've been following a few stories there.
    Types of stories you read/write: I like a mixture of different things. Everything from Angst to humor and all the stuff in between.
    Characters you read/write the most: I love to read anything with Qui-Gon/Dooku or Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan
    Advice on how to get involved in the community: Post! Don't be shy. We don't bite :D Readers are very encouraged by reviews even if it's just a simple "Good job" works for many authors. Get involved in a challenge thread or social threads. Many of those also offer writing challenges.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Be patient when posting fics. Gaining readers takes time. Run your posts through a beta reader before posting. It takes time but it's very much worth it.

Use the preview mode before posting to do any last minute edits before you post :) Most of all -- HAVE FUN :D That's what this board is all about :)

12. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Name: Sir Lancelot of Camelot! Wait, no--Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Actually, around here I go by ophelia.

Board(s) you post to the most: The Saga and FanFic Resource

Types of stories you read/write: Mostly angst, humor, romance, and action/adventure

Characters you read/write the most: Mostly Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Qui-Gon, but also some Luke and Vader. I'm a Jedi junkie. What can I say.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: What they said /\

(Rather more than) One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies:

1) é = alt +0233

2) Before making your first story post, read the FAQ thread at the top of the forum page. Posting on TFN is different from posting on other fanfic forums. There are a lot of rules about content, particularly related to sex, swear words, and violence.

3) If you're used to posting on Usenet (aka Google groups) or a listserv (like Yahoogroups) you may be thrown by the fact that here, all parts of your story ought to be posted in the same thread. For a 3 part story, you don't make 3 posts, called "Vader-In-Law 1/3," "Vader-In-Law 2/3," and "Vader-In-Law 3/3," and then have all reader/author dialogue in the thread be related only to that section. That is the normal, sane, rational way to do it, so therefore it is verboten here. It's a bulletin board thing. What can I say. What you do is you create one thread called "Vader In Law," and you post all three parts in it as you write them. Yes, this mixes your story posts in with reader replies, and can make things confusing for new readers "catching up" after you've made several posts. C'est la vie. Some authors put a special marker at the top of their story posts so people can tell them apart from everything else. If you want to alert readers to the fact that you've made a new post, you can show that in the thread title. You just go to the first post in the thread and click "Edit," and then go up and edit the title bar. Most people do it something like this: "Vader In Law -- UPDATED 2/22!" That way if the thread's been upped on 2/27, I know the last post is a reader reply or something, and I may pass on the thread until the next update notice.

4) Finally, consider getting yourself adopted by an "oldbie." There is an "adopt-a-newbie" thread specifically designed to get new posters acquainted with someone who can answer those burning questions you can't find answers to anywhere else, like "What the **** is the Blue Yoda Society supposed to be about?!"

13. Quin22

Quin22 Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2005
    Thank you all for the very helpful tips. I had a chance to talk to Jaya and the assistance I recived was much appreciated. This is a great guide and hopefully I can find someone soon to look over my first attempt at writing. Thank you all and Jaya this is an awesome thread.

14. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Name: JadeSolo, though I also go by Jade, Anu (my real name), "you nut!", and any number of "affectionate" insults.

Board(s) you post to the most: Before, Saga, and Resource. I also post on Beyond, but usually just in a couple of stories.

Types of stories you read/write: Oh, just about anything. Big Obi-Wan fan, but if it looks interesting, I'll read!

Characters you read/write the most: Obi-Wan! [face_love] Mostly the JA characters, a little bit of the NJO crowd, and just whatever catches my eye.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Join one of the clubs in Resource! Whether it's for a character, writing style, or whatever, it's one of the best ways to make friends. Plus, not only can you read the stories of your new friends, but they'll be eager to read yours.

Also, participate in the challenges. They're a good jumping off point.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Again, definitely make friends. Don't be afriad to just go into a thread, even when there's mayhem abound. Someone will be nice enough to explain what's going on. :p Try finding an author whose work you really like, and if you read all of his or her older stories, I'm sure they'll appreciate that and remember you. :D

If catching up with long stories seems daunting to you, start out with shorter ones or vigs. Post a reply, even if it's just a simple "I liked this!"

Don't despair if you don't have 50 replies to your first story post. Even some of the more established authors here have reader replies that fluctuate in number. So be patient, and keep hanging out in threads. :)

When you post, put a little story info in the thread subject. Something like "TITLE (CHARACTERS/'SHIPS)." A lot of people look specifically for certain kinds of stories, so a subject like that might catch their eyes.

And above all else, have fun. :D

15. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Name: Rachael, by I usually go by Myri on the boards

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond, mostly, but I have ventured into Saga

Types of stories you read/write: pilot fics, mostly... pretty much everything from action to humor to mush :p

Characters you read/write the most: Rogues, Wraiths, Luney's OCs... ;)

Advice on how to get involved in the community: I found that it helps to post to stories and get to know people before posting a story of your own... it's a great way to get readers more easily and I found my Master that way. :p

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Get a Master. They're sooo helpful with answering questions, beta-ing, making sure you don't do something stupid... ;)

16. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Name:: Rose, very few people on this site know me by my first name, anyways.

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga, Resource, EU Community

Types of stories you read/write:That's a long one. I write all sorts of stuff, mostly in Beyond.I like my stories to have a little bit of everything: romance, comedy, action, drama, angst. I do have an Alternate Universe story as well. I like things that are different or interesting, more than just a "they love each other, but can't get together" kind of story. I like plots that really unique, something that no one else has done before.

Characters you read/write the most: Jaina/Zekk or Jaina/Jag, Jacen/Tenel Ka, Lots of Original characters. I love writing Tahiri. I do some Kyp, Leia, and Han.

Advice on how to get involved in the community:
    Read alot of stories and give feedback. Establish a rapport with other authors. If you like one particular pairing, join that pairing's group, or make a club.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies:
    Don't get discouraged if your story doesn't get alot of readers. It's quality of work, not quantity of readers that matters. Sometimes, it not really your fault. Certain stories or "ships" get alot more readers than others. It's not that your story is bad, its simply that what your writing doesn't get as much attention. I've read stories that were wonderful, that only had four readers because what the author was writing isn't part of the "mainstream" fanfiction genre. I have stories that have dozens of readers, and i have a story that has four readers, and i'm just as happy with those four readers as i am with the dozens that i get for my other stories.

If you're really more concerned with how many people are reading your story, rather than how good your story is, than by all means pick a "ship" that gets plenty of readers. Otherwise, your going to be dissapointed.

17. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Name: LadyPadme

Board(s) you post to the most: Saga, Beyond, Resource, rarely Before.

Types of stories you read/write: Romance, drama, humor, angst.

Characters you read/write the most: Han/Leia

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Don't be a lurker! Show up and let yourself be known. Read a lot of fics that you're interested in and give feedback. Take on some writing challenges. A common question newbies ask is: How can I get someone to read my stuff? Recognition is worth a lot. If people see that you're interested and like to give feedback on their fics they're much more likely to give some quid pro quo. For all of us, it took time to be known and time to gather a readership. Don't give up just because your first fic doesn't have a lot of takers. Persevere, post a lot and you'll make a lot of friends and have fun. :)

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Hmm...wasn't that advice I just gave up there? :p I would also like to reiterate what HealerLeona said. If you have questions or concerns, feel free to PM a mod any time.

18. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Name: Vongchild (Call me Vongy... Please!)

Board(s) you post to the most: I usually stick to Beyond, but sometimes stray into the Saga. I show up in Before once in a blue moon.

Types of stories you read/write: A lot of coming-of-age and action/adventure. Some romance, and LOADS OF ONE-SHOTS AND SONGFICS!!!!

Characters you read/write the most: Jaina Solo, Zekk, Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, and Nen Yim. Actually, any Yuuzhan Vong. If anyone has any questions about the Yuuzhan Vong, stop by Behind the Scars (which needs to be added to the characterization index... ;) )

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Start posting!!! If you start a story and update enough, even if no one replies at first, people will start to check it out. Another thing to do is respond to challenges. That way, people will see how good a writer you are and read your other stuff!

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: The only way to get better at writing is to write. I've been writing here for a little less than a year and all I can attest that the more you write, the better you get at it. Stick to characters you know, but don't be afraid to expand your horizons!

19. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Name: Herman, Hermie, Hey You

Board(s) you post to the most: Resource Forum

Types of stories you read/write: Alternate Universe and Original Character

Characters you read/write the most: This guy named Luke. Maybe you've heard of him.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Don't be a wallflower. The only way for people to notice you is if you post and join in the discussions.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Don't worry about how much longer someone else has been here. Everyone was a n00b at some point and nobody is gonna bite your head off for speaking up just because you're new. And don't be intimidated by those mod types. They're not near as mean as they try to pretend.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Name: DantanaSkywalker, commonly known as Dana
    Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond. As a user, it's my regular hangout, and it's my "focus" area on the boards as a moderator.
    Types of stories you read/write: As a reader, and writer, I lean towards K/J, of just about any genre
    Characters you read/write the most: Kyp Durron, Jaina Solo
    Advice on how to get involved in the community: Find something you think is interesting, and jump in. :) Read and respond to a lot of stories, make friends with people, and generally, just have fun with it. :) I can't say much more than what Jaya's put in this guide.
    One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Ask questions. Don't be afraid to contact us mods, we're here to help you. :)

Edit: I just realised this is my 5,000th post!

Dana

21. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Name: Chris, aka Ranger Sebulba, aka Action Jackson, aka Just an Ol' Railroader.

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga, almost exclusively. Haven't written much recently due to recent major changes in my life, but getting back into it bit by bit. I started into The Saga a while back, but didn't really plan well for it. (Now hold that thought until you read below. ;))

Types of stories you read/write: Adventure, adventure, adventure! Just about every story I write is brimming over with action, drama, high adventure, and a little bit o' humour here and there. I like to read much the same sort of stuff, but I also enjoy reading stories in other genres if they have compelling plots and OCs. I'll also dive right into an in-depth treatment of a canon character, especially if it's one I'm fond of. :D

Characters you read/write the most: The Solo kids and a few OCs. (However, I avoid Jaina's love pentagons like the plague.)

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Well, for starters, you could introduce yourself and your work right here in this thread. ;) OOOOORR, if you have a story that'd fit well into one of the various and sundry character indices hereabouts, you might make the thread owner aware of it so they can post a link. Oh, and for heaven's sake, don't lurk. After all, that defeats the purpose of getting involved, don'tcha think? ;)

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies:

Be prepared!

Not just with your story - be prepared for the results you may or may not get. With your story, make sure that you've got most of it outlined, that your plot works, that you won't end up with any extraneous characters, and that every detail is workable. And if you value your writing future...spelling, grammar, punctuation, language!!! A lot of people around here won't care how good the plot or characters are if the story is incomprehensible or profane (the latter is prohibited to begin with). Also, be prepared not to get noticed right away. I can tell you these things take time, because I got upstaged in my preferred genre almost the instant I started posting here. If you see somebody getting a lot of attention right away while your story gets overlooked, don't fuss about it - if you build it, they will come. Don't get frustrated, get involved. You'll be the better for it.

22. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Name: Gina

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga. I'm almost never in Before the Saga and in the Sage once in a while.

Types of stories you read/write: I haven't got many preferences for reading- action, romqance, angst, humor, whatever's good. Being the Kyp/Jaina fan that I am, I tend to read and write a lot of them. Writing action is not my forte- I've written mostly angsty stuff, some mush, and some humor.

Characters you read/write the most: I'm a big Kyp fan, so I constantly read/write him, usually in conjunction with Jaina. I'll read most characters. Han is a big favorite as well.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Introduce yourself! There's lots of social threads, character discussions and workshops, etc. Join them! They're a great way to meet people with the same favorite characters, favorite 'ship, and age group as you. Get a master/adopter to show you the ropes. Most importantly, be friendly!

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Read and review other people's stories. Authors love feedback. Take a minute to say "Hey, I really liked it, great job' or 'Awesome story here, can't wait for more.' It's a good way to meet people, get your name out there, and they're likely to return the favor.

23. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Hey Newbies!

I know you're out there somewhere.

Why don't you introduce yourself to the group?

Name:
    What kind of stories you're interested in:
    Why you joined the boards:

24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Name: Natalie or Nat
    Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga
    Types of stories you read/write: humor, romance, drama, and some action
    Characters you read/write the most: Jaina Solo, Jag Fel, Anakin Solo, Rogues and Wraiths
    Advice on how to get involved in the community: Join a social thread. It's a fun and easy way to make friends.
    One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Use a beta. Sometimes when a story is hard to read because of incorrect spelling or markup codes, people don't read it. betas can fix all of that.

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Name: Kimberley

Board(s) you post to the most: I post a lot on the Saga, but I?ve been known to post on the others.

Types of stories you read/write: angst (write), read all types! I?m an equal opportunity reader! I?m especially fond of AUs.

Characters you read/write the most: Vader, Anakin, Obi-Wan.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Leave feedback if you are reading a story. You?ll be glad you did when you start writing your own! Challenges are a great way to stretch your wings and they tend to be a lot of fun. Visit the social threads of the pairings or characters you like. There are some wonderful people there and you tend to get to know them a bit better than if you just concentrate on reading stories.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Don?t be afraid to post! Your first story is the hardest one to actually post, but even if you only get one or two regular readers to begin with, you?ll soon find that more and more people will read your work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.