main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanForce Web Masters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by Amidala Starkiller, May 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Does your host allow you to use php? If so I can whip one up for you real quick.

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    php? You don't know of any good sites where I can learn how to do that? It would be so helpful. With the amount of info I will be putting up on the page I'm running it would be so much faster.

3. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Boston has a new site up and running.Thought you might like to update the list :D

BostonRebels.net

4. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Our new site design is up, what do you think? The link is in my sig.

5. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Pretty cool. :) I like it.

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I'm thining that's a highly customized phpNuke, if it is, that's one great customization, it looks great!

If not, my hat is off to that programmer!

¤Night

7. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It's postnuke, not phpnuke. But they are pretty similiar. Yeah I customized it out, I will continue to customize it out more as I learn wat parts of the code do what. I would really like to get rid of the blocks on the left and right, or atleast make it look like I got rig of them.

8. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    The "blocks"... meaning "Topics of Interest" and so forth? Keep em, they look good. The only thing I don't like on the main page is that the top banner falls short of covering the entire page (the section furthest right) by 5-6 pixels.

¤Night

9. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I saw that earlier, there is nothing I can do about it right now. My host is doing an upgrade to the server. I decided that I am just going to change the look of the blocks, not get rid of them.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'll post the Atlantic Canada (aka Wild Space) URL when I actually get time to finish it :D

11. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Wow! This is a cool thread!

Hi all!
    I've been webmaster (more like web padawan) for PhillyOuterRim for as long as this thread has been around, but had no idea the thread existed.

Still lots of work to be done.
    The layout was mostly done in Fireworks and Dreamweaver. Had to be a Naboo theme, and since the FF is for Philly suburbs, the Philly skyline is off in the distance.
    I'm not at all happy with the banner's background though. I'd like to add more imagry around the site in general.

Still needs a Gallery and Links page. We're talking about a private forum too.

Any suggestions, ideas, feedback, whatever are welcome!

Have fun!

12. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I like the calendar set-up!

¤Night

13. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Thanks! Can't really take credit though.
    It's a DB driven free ASP download from somewhere. (Sorry, I can't remember exactly where right now. )
    Didn't take too much tweeking to get it into the site's framework.

As a side note:
    An interest in movie making is what brought me to TFN, and later the Fan Force.
    I created this site as an amateur movie making resource and this site (the one I neglect the most) for my fan film.

Have fun!

14. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Hi all, just came upon this thread myself, I'm Toronto's webmaster.

To do a quick run over some of the basics, I use vim or notepad to write all my HTML and PHP, can't stand WYSIWYG editors. I started mucking around with PHP about the same time I started the site, say 18 months ago. It got pretty static over the summer, but I'm currenlty over-hauling the entire thing to work with a MySQL database, then we'll be overhauling the look of the site after that.

Oh, and for those who have asked after good PHP tutorials, this isn't how I learned but I've read over the basic tutorials and actually learned from many of the more advanced ones over at WebMonkey. Good stuff there.

Cheers.

15. BobaFett-MP

BobaFett-MP Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2001
    Hey everyone, I'm the new webmaster of the Orange County Fan Force page. I'm still developing the page and talking to the other members, but it's got the main link up.
    I'm a Front Pager and Photoshoppper too. :-D My main site, (The Boba Fett Multimedia Page) is a better example for the time being. I'm also a php developer (for intermediate things).

The OC fan force page is located at www.orangecountystarwars.n3.net

16. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    I've added you to the list. :)

The start page looks nice. :D ;)

17. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    LOL [face_laugh]

I love that opening page.

18. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Hi all.

While we are not an official FF chapter yet, I still invite everyone to visit our website www.wvfanforce.com We are the Clarksburg/Bridgeport WV Fan Force (aka Northern WV)

The page is not flashy, but I hope you find it an easy design to follow. Probably the most important part is the fact that it's very easy to update, and I hope that helps it stay current. We have tested our Java chat client on the site this past weekend and it seemed to work out pretty well.

19. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Nice site, what portal program are you using? I really liked the integration of the Java chat, i'm going to look into that server.

20. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002

Thanks! Yeah, that Java chat on the site makes it really nice for the members to get together and discuss stuff. The whole site is based on slashcode.

21. PadawanNick

Jun 6, 2001
    Not a fanForce site, but I just updated my fanFilm site with lots of FireWorks animated navigation button goodness. :D
    Have fun!

22. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Nice site Nick :)

23. Darth_Tylirion

Darth_Tylirion Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    Hi Everyone.

I'm relatively new to the Fan Force Web Team.

I'm the Webmaster for R2-Detroit.

I do have a question for everyone:

Where do you get your images for your banners?

I do general searches on the web, and use some screen shots from DVDs.

Thanks all!

-Darth Tylirion
    christopher balk
    cbalk@balkindustries.com
    SL-7275

24. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    We rely primarily on the talents of an artist within the group. Gives our site/forum a unique feel, also means that the banner IS us. :)

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    For the new design on our website I made everything from scratch. I am going to put those graphics on our forum as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.