main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Favourite Harry Potter Film?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Dec 31, 2012.

?

Favourite Harry Potter Film

1. Philosopher's Stone

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  2. Chamber of Secrets

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Prisoner of Azkaban

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  4. Goblet of Fire

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Order of the Phoenix

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Half-Blood Prince

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  7. Deathly Hallows Part 1

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Deathly Hallows Part 2

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think Dumbledore should have been Danny DeVito.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I would have the troll toll song stuck in my head whenever dumbles is alone with harry.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think Dumbledore should have been played by Danny Devito's Always Sunny character.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Richard Harris did. It was exactly how I imagined Dumbledore to be in the books.

5. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Gellert Grindelwald? ;)

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Maybe in the first few books, but not as we learn more about Dumbledore's flaws, especially in books 5 & 7.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    IIRC, three actors who were considered for Dumbledore after Harris’ passing were Ian McKellan, Peter O’Toole, and Christopher Lee. All three had issues for various reasons with having a multi-year commitment. Additionally, O’Toole said no out of respect for his recently-deceased friend; McKellan said “no moar wizzerdz plz, kthxbai.”

Christopher Lee would’ve been superlative as the Dumbledore that scared the holy crap out of Voldemort, I’ll give you that :p But the closest I’ve ever seen him get to “kindly” was as the somewhat remorseful Wilbur Wonka (Willy’s dad, the dentist) in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

“It was a mistake for you to come here tonight, Tom” [face_skull]

Mar17swgirl, Summer Dreamer and Rew like this.
  9. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Thanks. Now it will be stuck in my head all day.
    [​IMG]

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I would have liked some of the possible-Gandalfs. Not necessarily Connery, but Tom Baker would have been fun.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Fun Fact, according to notstarring.com
    [​IMG]

Turned down the role of Snape to work with Tim Burton on Planet of the Apes.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Can somebody “meme” this for me?
    [​IMG]

I would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's the only time I've ever said "Thank God for Burton's Planet of the Apes."

It's made doubly hilarious when you see what Roth is doing in POTA, which is to say, rampant god-awfulness that makes Michael Clarke Duncan look like Roddy McDowall.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Agreed. If he had been younger I think he would have been the perfect Dumbledore through the entire series.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That didn't change how I had pictured him to be.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like Tim Roth, but he sounded like he had a prune shoved down his throat in POTA.

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Good. I simply can not imagine anyone other that Alan Rickman as Severus Snape.

18. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Much like the presidential election I'm glad to see the voters getting it right here.

19. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I never said it wasn't important. What are you smoking? o_O I've studied PoA closely, and compared it page-by-page to Rowling's text (the film inspired me to start reading the books; I started with Book #3). The Marauders are a fun running sub-plot/flashback in the books. The movies, which have to delete a lot of material to fit into blockbuster adventure films, are about Harry Potter. Any sub-plot or minor character that does not directly impact him, his origin or his mission, is at risk of deletion. That said, as I wrote in my post that elicited your response, we do learn about James and his three various friends, in PoA and in later films, covering a good portion of what Rowling wrote about them. The authorship of the Map can be deduced if we're paying attention to all the stuff the movies do show us about the foursome.

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Marauders are related to Harry's origin. How are they not? What's that quote? "He looks like James but has Lily's eyes. The fact that James' animagus form was Harry's Patronus and that all 4 Marauders were seen again again on the grounds for the first time in 12 years was one of the most important parts of the book. POA is when we got all that info in the book and some continuity between the book and the movie is important. If its in a later movie it ruins the impact for me. Besides the reveal of who the Marauders were and the map need to be told Yes time is a concern but like I said that Shrunken head could have been cut out. As a book to movie adaptation how is info like that not important? Something like SPEW could be cut but not the Marauder's back story.

21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The extent that they are is shown in the films. The Map has nothing to do with it.

Then you should be pleased, since all of that happened in the film, too.

No it doesn't.

You mean, instead of quick insert shots of a shrunken head laughing during the Night Bus sequence, probably amounting to less than a minute of screentime, someone might have said "Oh by the way, we four made that map" and BAM! instantly the film is brilliant? Your reasoning fails to convince me.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes it does. Harry knows next to nothing of his Parents so the map should be included. The reveal of the map was a major reveal in the book to me. Without that, its just a piece of parchment. Why should we care about it? It was one of the crowning achievements of the Marauders and the movie doesn't mention it.
    The Shrunken Head was in the movie for longer than a minute. The Shrunken head wasn't even in the book! Something not in the book has precedence over one of the most vital things learned about his own parents or object from his parents? Note that the only thing up to this point that he has from his parents is the Invisibility Cloak. Yes it would have made me make like the movie better.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with Force Smuggler I saw POA with someone who hadn't read the books, and she spent half the movie asking me what was happening. They could have taken the time to add a little more of that info.

I much preferred the last three movies to the earlier ones.

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I bet that that was annoying :p Yeah I know its harder to get everything into the movie especially the longer the book but some background info like that is needed. I wouldn't want to be someone who jumped in at HBP. I need to see the movies again but don't really care for HBP. DH parts 1 and 2 were great though

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] It wasn't so much annoying that she was asking as it was annoying that she had to because the movie left some stuff out.

Force Smuggler likes this.