main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Female SW collectors

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Thena, Nov 16, 2003.

1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Not a single clue. I'm just hoping that Toryn Farr gets a figure. I want a Toryn Farr figure.

Anywho, as good a time as any to drop in the customary "Hi, I'm a female collector" schpiel. I'm an off-and-on as-much-as-finances-will-allow collector. My collection, though, is mostly figures, and I tend to free my toys from their cardboard prisons and *gasp* play with them! Nowadays, I attach a rule set to them, I've played some Wushu campaigns with my toys, it's pretty fun. But, I still roam the toy aisles, looking for more things to add to my collection.

I'd like to start collecting statues, but at the moment, I've neither the money nor to shelf space to do so.

2. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Well I've popped in this forum a couple of times but didn't notice this thread before.
    And if I have posted in here before, I've forgotten about it.

So I'm me. I'm a pretty casual collector- action figures mostly. I tend to pick up things that I like the look of really, rather than looking for anything in particular, and it is limited by being a student- ergo no income. I'm based in the UK so I tend to browse charity shops for second hand star wars stuff because I do like to play with my figures. The only figures I've kept carded are a Jaina Solo Legacy Collection (because I've a hunch she's a little rare- I haven't seen her around much) and a Sandtrooper from the 'Vintage Collection' line thats in the US atm, from my boyfriend who lives there. I might open him though, to join the other stormtroopers I have, although I rather like the sheer simplicity of the front of the packaging and I can't bare to ruin it by opening him.
    Most of my action figures are storm/clone troopers, although I do have two Darth Vaders. One of them is my first ever action figure from the 'collectors coin' (sega legends?) run from a few years back. Sadly his lightsaber was lost a few years back :(. The other was second-hand in a charity shop. He's got less points of motion than the other so I call him Chad Vader. He appears to be one of the 'lightsaber attack' figures. You squeeze his feet together and one of his arms moves (kinda).
    I also have a Reek and Acklay, both also found in a charity shop. I believe they were originally from that Attack of the Clones Arena playset which I remember seeing in an Argos catalogue about the time AotC came out (could be wrong though). They're both marked 2002.
    Finally, the pride and joy of my collection is a Hasbro Tie Fighter x1 advanced with firing rockets and retracting cannons, which my boyfriend recently gave me.

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, I'm kinda in the same boat now with my new tauntaun. I rather like the retro packaging, but it's a box, so I can free my new plaything without damaging the box. My rocket-firing Boba Fett, though... He's staying carded, in the shipping container, and stored safely away with a rare FF #1 fold-out variant cover.

Yep, there are a few things that I won't ever open, particularly if after some eBay research, they have a level of monetary value. Most of my toys, though, I open and play with. Hell, I try to buy loose figures as often as I can on eBay because I want the toy and plan to discard the packaging.

4. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Ohh I would have loved that rocket firing boba fett. Pitty that promotion didn't come to the UK.
    What I'm really keeping an eye out on ebay right now for is a red action figure lightsaber to replace the one I lost.

I remembered something else I have, but it isn't with me so I forgot to mention it. My Don Post Classic Action Darth Vader Helmet. It needs refurbishing something desperate though. The inside foam is pretty sweaty and sheds when you wear it, and the lenses, 'tusks' and mouth visor grill need replacing/regluing. The dome also needs to be resprayed. Haven't got the money at the moment to put aside for it. But when I do tackle it, hopefully around this time next year, I'm determined to get a really good finish on it.

5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I am so excited right now! Months and months ago I ordered a Baird action figure (from Gears of War 3) and a Tarkin figure. I got the Baird figure just fine and he now stands over my desk looking stern and grumpy, but no Tarkin figure!

That was, until now! I've just got an email from Forbidden Planet as I ordered from them. It took a long time but my Tarkin figure is finally on the way! I can't wait!

Also, darthhelinith, that is one awesome Pinky Pie avatar, I love it!

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  6. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I saw the Book of Sith yesterday, and I know its wrong but it would look so awesome beside my Jedi Path!! Running out of room, got a whole bedroom, but running out of room after 35 years of collecting!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've seen that up at Forbidden Planet in London. It's a huge thing! I want the book itself but not the whole holocron..

Amazon UK have the book listed for May 2013 so it will be on my list.

8. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I think my mother visited the Forbidden Planet store when she was in the UK. I'm jealous, it sounded so awesome.

And that looks so much cheaper than the Vault Edition, too! Don't get me wrong because the Vault Edition looks extremely cool, it's just a ways outside of my budget. :\

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, it's a great store. Expensive though for things like figures, prop weaponry, etc. It's not bad for books and comics. They also get US imports before they are out in the UK.

10. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Hmmm, sounds like a reason to hop over the pond and check it out. I love stores like that.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, if you do hop the pond be sure to visit the London store. There are stores in other locations but not all of them are as large. The London store is called the Megastore for a reason..

12. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I just put my Imperial logo and Rebel logo charms onto a necklace. I picked them up at CVI at the Her Universe booth. I love that it's a cool subtle way to fly my geek flag. Now I miss the old clunky R2 charm from 1977. I'm almost sure I have it somewhere, but I am so tempted to buy another on ebay. I had two because one was my sister's, but she kinda broke it back then. So I'm not sure I would end up using it and I already have a little pewter R2 figure on display.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I was looking at the jewelry at the Her Universe booth when I was there. But, I'm allergic to metal and can't wear any jewelry. And I wanted to wear lightsaber earrings, too! :(

Perhaps I should put a plea out to Eckstein for some hypoallergenic jewelry, or different material options for those who are allergic to metal.

14. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    I would be willing to sign a petition for that. The charms are sterling silver, but obviously, still metal.

Saw some cool metal lunchboxes in FiveBelow today. Some I have seen before with scenes from each of the OT films. They also had Stormtrooper, Maul, and Vader shaped boxes. very cool for 5 bucks each. Didn't get them.... yet. I need to find something to keep in them first.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My local supermarket has had some Maul soft lunchboxes and matching water bottles for awhile now.

On the metal - I remember as a kid that I coated the insides of cheap rings with clear nail polish to avoid them turning my finger greenish. Is something like that an option for metal allergies?

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've used it for watch backings before, and that worked, until the polish would rub off and I'd need to apply another coat. For chains and earrings, though, it's a bit trickier. For earrings, they have to be surgical stainless steel, and even then, my ears still get infected.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Have you tried talking to a reputable jewelers? Maybe they have a more permanent coating they can use. I'm sure the issue has come up before.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Not yet, as I rarely, if ever, wander into a jewelry store. Though, next time I'm wandering the mall, I'll make sure to stop in a jewelers and ask.

19. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, I'm thinking you could use a dark leather strap like they sell in crafting and beading stores [ eg Michaels, AC Moore, JoAnns, WalMart, etc] and coat these little charms with the nail polish. They are very thin and it would then be minimal wearing of metal against your skin and still look cool because they have different colors available in leather or cotton. I'm sure you have dealt with this for quite awhile and I am telling you nothing new.

20. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, so today in the Lego store, the guy working there kept looking at my SW charms on my above mentioned necklace. Eventually, when he saw I was in a great mood after getting the Lego sets I wanted, he asked my if the one was an Imperial logo. I answered yes, of course, to which he informed me he thought it might have been a snowflake. LOL! Take that you Imperial snowflake scum! Then he said he thought he might order one for his girlfriend and tell her it was a snowflake all the while knowing it's true meaning. I wasn't quite sure whether that was genius, evil, or both.

You know, taking another look at it, I suppose you could think it was a snowflake if you were completely not into SW... think Penny on Big Bang. [face_dunno]

21. Mayla

Sep 4, 2012
    Lol. That's a hilarious idea... he'd have to hope that nobody ever pointed out to her what it really was, though, or things might get awkward.

22. Mayla

Sep 4, 2012
    [Oy, nevermind... it posted twice. Dang modem!]

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm still trying to explain my shirts to my caseworker. Yesterday, I had to explain who Boba Fett was, as I was wearing my Fett hoodie. Yep, wore that hoodie, plus my "The Usual Suspects" bounty hunter t-shirt that I got at CVI to an eye appointment.

24. J_Girl

Feb 18, 2001
    That's why I maintain it's more difficult to be a female collector at times. If a male wears those t-shirts/sweatshirts, most people wouldn't give them a second glance. Many guys wears random t-shirts, but on females they are more questioned. I wear mine, but it's not something I could wear to work unless I hide it under my business suit like Superman or something. I mean where did that guy keep the red cape without it bunching up and giving him pantylines?