main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Formula 1 2007 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by G-FETT, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Why does everybody have it in for Alonso? He seems a perfectly nice and pleasent young guy. Veyr quiet. Not in any way arrogant or aloof. Just a generally nice guy. Or thats how I've always veiwed him, but maybe I'm missing something, 'cause everyone seems to hate him! [face_laugh]

2. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    G-FETT: You must unlearn what you have learned :p [face_laugh]

What can i tell ya, something about him i just dont like [face_not_talking] but i'm weird that way, cause i also follow tennis and i'm rooting against Federer everytime and he's the #1 player in the world [face_laugh]

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    One month lay-off complete and F1 returns this weekend with the Spainish Grand Prix

Massa starting on pole, Alonso second, Raikkonen third and Hamilton fourth. Should be a good race.

4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So the perfect weekend for Massa. Gets pole position and the win. Raikkonen retires (who often do you see a Ferrari breaking down? [face_laugh] )

Lewis Hamilton another impressive second place. And a disappoitning third for Alonso, who definatly "cracked" under pressure into the first corner and hit Massa, which compromised his afternoon..

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The MONACO Grand Prix is taking place this weekend. Alonso on takes pole position, from Hamilton in second. Massa third and Raikkonen way down in 15th after crashing his car.

Looks like a comfortable Mclaren victory, but which one? ;)

Weather conditions may be changeable...

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Alonso won, but I hate it when teams order the second driver not to challenge the first driver, especially when Hamilton is such an exciting prospect.

Webber failed to finish again. He's a good driver who's being let down by his car unfortunately.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've got to say this was definatly Lewis Hamiltons weakest race. The amount of time he was off-line and running wide was incredible. The fact he managed to finish and didn't end up in the barrier's is testament to his skill and quick reflexes. Ferrari were totally destroyed to as well!

Anyway, the FIA are launching an inquiry into Mclaren's Win

My view is that they were racing up to the first pit-stop and then after the first pit stop, team orders came in. Which was right in this particular, because if they had let Lewis carry on racing, as erratic as he was, I think its almost certain he would have put it into the barrier's. He just didn't look at all stable to me.

As far as Webber goes, I think he may soon be wishing he hadn't left Williams, because it looks to me as though slowly but surely Williams may just be starting to claw their way back a bit.

8. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    The Canadian Grand Prix comes to Montreal this weekend. After the relative snore-fest that was Monaco, this one should be an actual race. I've always rated Canada as one of the top three circuits of the F1 season and nearly always gurantees a decent race.

9. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, decent is one way of putting it... :p

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What a shocking, amazing race! :eek: How awesome was Lewis Hamilton? The way he kept his head admist all that chaos and confusion.... VERY Schumackeresque.

And how Kubica survived that crash. I honestly thought he was dead when his car came to a halt and he was motionless.... Amazing standard of safety from the FI cars again.

11. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    A definite future world champion. And he's British which makes it all the more sweet. But he was very impressive in this race, and has all the qualities of champions such as Schumacher and Senna etc.
    He might not win it this year but he'll run Alonso close and most likely be world champion in a season or two.

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I think he's in with a shout this year. Its a long shot, but he's definatly got a chance. If he gets some momentum over the next few races he could pull out a commanding lead. Remember, we've got the US coming up next, which is not Alonso's favourite circuit by any means, then we have Silverstone soon after that, and Hamilton will have the advantage of being on his home track. I could see him getting on a bit of a roll through this mid-season period.

13. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Shoud be very interesting to see what happens this weekend, specially between Hamilton and Alonso[face_thinking]

I'm hoping that the Ferraris can have a better race, cause Montreal sucked for them :oops:

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I get the feeling a bit of a rivalry is developing between Alonso and Hamilton. We're not talking Senna/Prost, Mansell/Piquet, Schumacker/Hill, yet.... But I think its building nicely. ;)

15. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Hamilton's success has a chance to be huge for F1's fanbase in America, I'm hoping.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, provided he doesn't get seduced into the playboy lifestyle he's going to be one of the most exciting and popular sporting icons in a long, long time.

Another excellent, winning performance from Lewis Hamilton. :D

17. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    True, true... not quite there yet, but u just watch what will happen if Hamilton wins this championship [face_thinking]

Indeed, Hamilton had another great race =D=

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    British Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend. If Bernie Eccelstone gets his way, it could be the last British Grand Prix as well. :mad:

Anyway, will Lewis Hamilton be able to do the buisness for the home crowd?

My feelings are, that whilst Ferrari will still pose a threat they will be less dominant than at Magny Cours, and ultimately Hamilton and Mclaren will pull it out. :D

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So, Raikkonen wins from Alonso, with Hamilton third about 40 seconds behind the winner!

Ferarri beginning to look very omimous right now, IMO. McLaren have got to go away and really try and get some more speed out of the car, because even though Ferarri are behind in the Chamionship, they appear to be getting on a role here.

As for why Hamilton was so far behind his team-mate, I get the feeling there some mehanical problems going on that Mclaren are keeping quiet about. The car didn't seem to be handling at all well and in a way Hamilton was lucky, because if Massa hadn't stalled on the grid, Lewis wouldn't even have gotten on the podium today.

Concerning times for Mclaren right now. They need to respond quickly.

20. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    QFT [face_dancing]

I'm very happy for Kimi=D= , specially since he was getting so much bull from ppl...Hamilton got lucky for sure this time and he was able to get on podium cause of Massa's bad luck [face_laugh]

Ferrari is looking great, and both drivers say the car feels great... things are about to get very interesting in this championship [face_thinking]

21. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/9/6767.html

McLaren fined, stripped of constructors? points

McLaren have been excluded from the 2007 constructors? championship and fined US$100 million following Thursday?s FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) hearing in Paris. Drivers Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton have not been penalized and are free to continue their fight for the drivers' title.

"The WMSC have stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructor points in the 2007 FIA Formula One world championship and the team can score no points for the remainder of the season,? said an FIA statement.

"Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to $100m, less the FOM (Formula One Management) income lost as a result of the points deduction.?

The penalty follows McLaren?s admission that the team was in possession of confidential technical data belonging to rivals Ferrari, who are now all but assured of the 2007 constructors? title.

22. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    FIA: Ferrari International Assistance

I wonder what would have happened if Williams spied on Renault, or Red Bull on Honda...
    Probably nothing. But to make sure that Ferrari always wins, Ecclestone doesn't even care to ruin the rest of the season. For once, there was a decent show...

23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i just heard an excerpt on the radio from the e-mails exchanged between McClaren officials - including Alonso. it's damning. they're testing Ferrari's car in a simulator, talking about distribution of weight in the new car, tyre pressure etc. talking about the particular Ferrari official who leaked the information, saying that he's friendly with the McClaren dude, and how in the Australian race he leaked info about when Kimi was going to stop etc etc.

Hamilton and particularly Alonso are lucky to still be in the competition in my opinion. if either of them win, which they probably will, there will be a permanent slight against it because of these findings. they shouldn't be allowed to win. they're driving in a car that has cheated its way to victory.

this hasn't anything to do with Ferrari - this is McClaren systematically and conclusively cheating. $100m is distinctly fair enough.

24. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Well the FIA has released the WMSC transcripts today: http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/070919152722.shtml

The FIA today made the World Motor Sport Council hearing transcripts available with regard to the McLaren-Ferrari espionage situation.

Meetings took place on 26th July and 13th September and the outcome for McLaren Mercedes was the loss of it constructors? championship points and a 100 million US dollar fine.

FIA statement
    "The attached transcripts were recorded in the World Motor Sport Council hearings by a professional stenographer and formatted by an independent transcription company. They were then sent to the Ferrari and Vodafone McLaren Mercedes teams to afford them the opportunity to redact any confidential financial or technical information.

"The transcripts have not been amended by the FIA in any way and there may be some minor typing errors that have not been corrected."

Here's the direct link to read the July 26th transcript: http://press.fiacommunications.com/wmsc-transcript-26-07-2007.pdf and here's the direct link for the September 13th transcript: http://press.fiacommunications.com/wmsc-transcript-13-09-2007.pdf

I'm not done reading them, but very interesting stuff there [face_thinking], specially the part of how Dennis asked Alonso to go to Paris and he refused o_O

25. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Hamilton is set to win his first championship in his first year - anyone remember when that last heappened? If it's ever happened before?

And it isn't as though he has not had quality competition.

GoobaFish.
    (The Aussie V8 Supercars have their jewel event this weekend - Mount Panorama, Bathurst!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.