main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games Gaming Thread v4.0 - Winner: Healer_Leona

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the Gaming Thread! Here, you'll find a rotating list of short, fun games in which you can easily win 24 hours of COLORS!

It will also function as a sort of testing ground for some of the games that want to eventually get their own threads (or when a game creator has an idea and but doesn't have the time or interest to host). If you have a good idea for a game, please PM me with an intro post, and we can go from there!

Now let's get to it. I can't inform you now what games we will be playing (as I don't know them all! Go get suggesting, you creative minds!) but the post following this one will be updated with them as we go - so down the line, you may always come back here to refresh your memory of what's already out there. Requests to play a certain game in this thread are always welcome (as we will simply rotate through them at random).

Let's get to it!

2. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Hall of Fame:

Rare Entries
    1/15/13: Hazel and wedge41388
    4/14/13: Juliet316

Mad Libs
    2/18/13: halibut
    5/1/13: Random Comments
    11/18/13: Random Comments

Scattergories
    3/8/13: Jade_eyes

Two Truths and a Lie
    6/13/13: I Are The Internets

3. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    THE RULES

Rare Entries

This game has no sign-up necessary.

I will post a set of six categories, each of which has a small pool of correct answers (like "One of the Seven Deadly Sins" or "Character who was in all three films of the OT"), and anyone who wishes to take part PMs a list with one answer for each. Once the submission period (72 hours) is up, I will then assign points for each correct response based on how many people answered it; one point if only one gave it, two if two did, and so on. An incorrect answer is worth one point more than the highest-scoring correct answer.

For example, to use the Deadly Sins question, if only one guy said sloth, he'd get one point, but the four people who picked lust would each get four. Assuming that was the most popular answer, then the person who answered jaywalking would get five points. Once all the answers have been given scores, a person's six numbers are then multiplied to come up with a final score, with the lowest-scoring person being the winner. Someone with all unique answers would score a perfect one point. The categories will be on varied subjects, and research is allowed and encouraged.

Remember, the point is to score less than everyone else by having the most unique answers.

Two Truths and a Lie

How well do you know your fellow players? Players will take turns posting two things about themselves that are true and one that is false. It's up to everyone else to discern which is the lie.

Player 1 will have 24 hours to post two things about him or herself that are true and one that is a lie, and PM the host which one is the lie. The other players will have 24 hours from the time of Player 1's post to say which one they think is the lie.

Every person who guesses right gets a point. If no one guesses correctly, the player who posted the truths and lie will get a point. We'll keep going until someone reaches 5 points.

Mad Libs

Mad Libs consist of a book that has a short story on each page, but with many of the key words replaced with blanks. Beneath each blank is specified a lexical or other category, such as noun, verb, place, or a part of the body. One player asks the other players, in turn, to contribute some word for the specified type for each blank, but without revealing the context for that word. Finally, the completed story is read aloud. The result is usually comic, surreal and somewhat nonsensical.
    There will be as many rounds as there are players. So let's say there are six players, which in turn will mean six rounds. Every round, one of the players will serve as a judge.

At the beginning of each round, I will choose a text from whichever fandom we're playing, which I will not show. Here, as an example, I've chosen a line from Admiral Motti:

"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fortress..."

I will choose which of the words that I want to be replaced and I will then post a list for the players.

For example:
    1. Adjective
    2. Noun
    3. Plural noun
    4. Adjective
    5. Noun

It's then up to the players to PM me back the words within 24 hours and I will then post the different variations on the text. I will not reveal which text belongs to which player, since the current judge will have to pick the text he or she thinks is the funniest.

Let's continue the example. Player 1 sends me this list of words:

1. Nutty
    2. Cupcake
    3. Dolls
    4. Yummy
    5. Candy

The text will then be:

"Your nutty devotion to that ancient cupcake has not helped you conjure up the stolen dolls, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' yummy candy..."

After six rounds, the winner is the player with the most picks. Or, hey, players - we could theoretically have everyone get one point, and then everyone wins and gets colors.

Scattergories

The game lasts three rounds. Each round, the host provides a letter and a list. The players need to write down one item for each list category that starts with that letter. One point per correct answer, but two or more players use the same word in the same category, no point.

For example:
    Host picks "C."

Vegetable: Carrot
    Vehicle: Camry
    Star Wars Character: C-3PO

The answers have to be something well-known or easily found on the internet. Adding in a link is always helpful.

Names of people can be first or last, but no person can have a title count in their name. (Queen Mary doesn't count for "Q")

Players have 48 hours to fill up their sheets and PM the answers to the host, who will then post the answers and count up points. After three rounds, the person with the most points wins.

All answers must be PMed at the same time to the host. No partial lists or corrections.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Let's have a round of Rare Entries! It's quick, it's easy, and it's fun--not to mention that often several people win colors ...

You have 72 hours to PM me your answers for the following categories:

Community category
    Star Wars movie (already release, not including the Clone Wars)
    Wife of Henry VIII
    Main character on Friends
    Book of the Old Testament
    Official Disney princess

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Any more takers? Quick way to win colors!

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Rear Entries, lol. No wonder you mod the NSFW forum.

Jade_eyes and NYCitygurl like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    jp-30 love your siggy and as long as Mara Jade is in Ep VII, I'll be stoked. LOL

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And the scores! (Note: There was a lot of confusion about the first one; Community category was indeed one of the categories. I meant Amph, Senate, Census, etc. as the choices, but since that wasn't clear, I'm going to remove it.)

@Jade_eyes
    Star Wars movie already released: Return of the Jedi
    Official Disney princess: Jasmine
    Book in old testament -- Nahum - one of the tiny ones after Daniel and before Matthew
    Wife of Henry VIII: Anne of Cleves
    Main character on Friends: Chandler

2x2x1x2x1=12

@Juliet316
    Star Wars movie (already release, not including the Clone Wars) - Revenge of the Sith
    Wife of Henry VIII - Anne Boylen
    Main character on Friends - Phoebe
    Book of the Old Testament - Genesis
    Official Disney princess – Jasmine

1x1x2x1x3=6

@wedge41388
    Star Wars movie (already release, not including the Clone Wars): Return of the Jedi
    Wife of Henry VIII: Catherine Howard
    Main character on Friends: Ross Geller
    Book of the Old Testament: 2 Kings
    Official Disney princess: Mulan

2x1x1x1x1=2

@JediFalcon
    Star Wars movie (already release, not including the Clone Wars) Attack of the Clones
    Wife of Henry VIII Anne of Cleves
    Main character on Friends Phoebe Buffay
    Book of the Old Testament Corithians 1
    Official Disney princess Jasmine

2x2x2x1x3=24

@Hazel
    Star Wars movie (already release, not including the Clone Wars) - Attack of the Clones
    Wife of Henry VIII - Catherine Parr
    Main character on Friends - Monica Geller
    Book of the Old Testament - Exodus
    Official Disney princess – Aurora

2x1x1x1x1=2

Congrats to Hazel and wedge, our winners!

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Was thinking: we should bring Pass the Paragraphs back into this thread & add Beyond Balderdash and Mad Libs into the cycle; Two Truths and a Lie LOL would be a blast. I also think we should recruit guest hosts of players who have played before and know the rules so the same person isn't the host & can be a player. :D [face_thinking]

11. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    [face_dancing]BALDERDASH!!![face_dancing]

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Balderdash was pretty fun :) I've been trying to decide what to play next--I'm thinking Two Truths looks good, Jade_eyes :D I'm not adverse to guest hosts in the future, either :)

[blovkquote]How well do you know your fellow players? Players will take turns posting two things about themselves that are true and one that is false. It's up to everyone else to discern which is the lie.

Player 1 will have 24 hours to post two things about him or herself that are true and one that is a lie, and PM the host which one is the lie. The other players will have 24 hours from the time of Player 1's post to say which one they think is the lie.

Every person who guesses right gets a point. If no one guesses correctly, the player who posted the truths and lie will get a point. We'll keep going until someone reaches 5 points.[/blockquote]

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004

1. Jade eyes

:D :D

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Anyone else?

Jade_eyes likes this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll give it until Saturday and then try something new.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mad Libs. :) Second choice: Man Bites Dog [face_laugh]

19. wedge41388

wedge41388 Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 15, 2010
    oops :oops: didnt notice we had a game starting.....o well, no requests, ill play pretty much anything as long as I remember to check the forums

Jade_eyes likes this.
  20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mad Libs it is! I'm happy to tag/PM Jade_eyes wedge41388 and anyone else :)

Mad Libs consist of a book that has a short story on each page, but with many of the key words replaced with blanks. Beneath each blank is specified a lexical or other category, such as noun, verb, place, or a part of the body. One player asks the other players, in turn, to contribute some word for the specified type for each blank, but without revealing the context for that word. Finally, the completed story is read aloud. The result is usually comic, surreal and somewhat nonsensical.
    There will be as many rounds as there are players. So let's say there are six players, which in turn will mean six rounds. Every round, one of the players will serve as a judge.

At the beginning of each round, I will choose a text from whichever fandom we're playing, which I will not show. Here, as an example, I've chosen a line from Admiral Motti:

"Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fortress..."

I will choose which of the words that I want to be replaced and I will then post a list for the players.

For example:
    1. Adjective
    2. Noun
    3. Plural noun
    4. Adjective
    5. Noun

It's then up to the players to PM me back the words within 24 hours and I will then post the different variations on the text. I will not reveal which text belongs to which player, since the current judge will have to pick the text he or she thinks is the funniest.

Let's continue the example. Player 1 sends me this list of words:

1. Nutty
    2. Cupcake
    3. Dolls
    4. Yummy
    5. Candy

The text will then be:

"Your nutty devotion to that ancient cupcake has not helped you conjure up the stolen dolls, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' yummy candy..."

After six rounds, the winner is the player with the most picks. Or, hey, players - we could theoretically have everyone get one point, and then everyone wins and gets colors.

21. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012

1. Random Comments

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

1. Random Comments
    2. Juliet316

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004