main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph General Superman Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by swguru2004, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    This is the thread to dedicated to the greatest hero of all time!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/sage1047/jimleesupespose2.jpg]

Anyone have a fav story line? I loved the Birthright Origins storyline eventhough it is rather controversial

2. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I read Superman for a few years in the 90's, starting around Doomsday and going up to the point where he turned into some sort of blue energy dude, which annoyed me so much I stopped reading. It's my understanding that Superman has returned to his original form, which is excellent, but I'm not really into comics anymore.

I do like Superman a lot though, and he's probably one of my favorite superheroes around.

3. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    Superman Red and Superman Blue storyline bothered me immensley(sp) I have just started reading comics again thanks to a few co-workers...

4. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    I stopped reading Superman around the same time. I just recently started reading Superman/Batman which is a good series.

5. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Hi.I usually go to superman bluetights.net and the DC comics board but I would like to join in.I recommend looking at the Infinite Crisis series now going on and later 52-the book before the One Year Later books come out.Rumor has it that Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman will be out of the DC universe for a bit.I am dying to see Superman Returns.Anyone see the teaser yet?Saw it twice-once before Lion, Witch, etc. and earlier today on an internet link.Interesting!Think the comics will be written carefully around the movie!Comments?

6. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    Bluetights is awesome! Infinte Crisis has me sitting on the edge of my seat! I just picked up #3, and I cannot wait for 4.

I plan on camping for Superman Returns

7. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Red Son is probably my favorite Superman series. There's a bunch I'm very fond of though.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Doomsday/Funeral/Return is my favorite storyline

Watched Superman 3 recently. Richard Pryor is hilarious in it

9. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I just finished reading All Star Superman #1, it's my first step into the world of Superman, and I was more impressed than I thought i'd be, however, i'm still partial to Batman =)

10. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I have always been a huge fan of Superman but never got around to the comics. I have only one (don't remember which one it was.)

11. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Although not my first venture into superman comics, I too was impressed with this.

12. darth-ermac

darth-ermac Jedi Master star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I am, of course, a big fan of Superman. I've got so many favorite stories in the comics. Mostly the Post Crisis ones, since that's what I'm partial to and what I've mainly read. I do enjoy Superman: The Animated Series and Justice League/Unlimited. The soundtrack by John Williams remains one of the definitive movie scores and superhero themes of all time.

13. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I love Superman:TAS. I have both DVD volumes and watch them all the time. That was such a great show.

14. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    THe comics were a bit crazy sometimes. I like Batman better :p

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have to say Superman: Peace on Earth by Alex Ross and Paul Dini. Awesome, awesome Superman tale.

E_S

16. swguru2004

Nov 17, 2003
    from www.dvdreview.com

During a press event earlier today, Warner Home Video made a fairly sensational announcement that is sure to please fans of the ?Superman? films. The studio has a 14-disc DVD set in the making of "Superman." The set, called Superman: Ultimate Collector?s Edition is filled with featurettes, documentaries, and other stuff surrounding the Superman feature films, as well as all these films themselves.
    However, best of all, the set will also contain the Richard Donner Cut of Superman 2!
    As fans will undoubtedly know, Richard Donner was relieved as a director from the film and replaced by Richard Lester before he could complete the film. Still, 70% of the movie were finished at the time but never released, of course ,though part of his footage was actually used in Lester?s ?Superman2 ? version. But not nearly all of it. There is about 45 minutes of footage that has never been seen before ? especially not the way Richard Donner had envisioned it!
    Now, the studio is working with Donner to create the cut of the movie that he had in mind originally, which is VERY cool, of course, painstakingly restored. During the press event we were treated to a five-minute clip from the film - the opening sequence which had never before been seen - and it was a blast!
    Get ready for this one, because it?s going to be huge!

DONNER CUT...=P~:D

17. jpauln

jpauln Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2005
    I am definitely looking forward to the Donner Cut! Here's the five minute scene that they were shown. (I got this from supermanhomepage.com, another excellent place to find info on the Man of Steel)...

Senior VP of Theatrical Catalog Marketing, George Feltenstein, informed us that 20%-40% of Richard Donner's Superman II has never been seen. After this presentation, the lights we're dimmed and we were treated to Donner's original opening of Superman II. This segment is set amidst the hustle and bustle of the Daily Planet. Lois Lane is reading an article on Superman. She sees Clark Kent across the room, who is standing with his arms folded, and she realizes that the two look quite similar. After drawing a hat, glasses and a suit on Superman, she and Clark are summoned into Perry White's office and informed of an assignment they will work on together in Niagara Falls.

Perry soon leaves the room and Lois begins dropping hints to Clark that she thinks he's Superman. Clark of course denies this and Lois, believing he is lying, throws herself out the window. As she is tumbling in the air, Clark makes his way down to the street below. Using his "wind blowing" powers he slows up Lois's descent, and then makes an awning drop (courtesy of his "laser-like" eye power) so that Lois's fall is eventually broken by a fruit stand.

Even with a temporary score and titles like "Work Test" cut into this piece, it still very much captured the spirit of what a Richard Donner cut of Superman II might have in store.

18. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    So far, All Star Superman is everything I feel a Superman comic should be, filled with wonder and the most far out amazing concepts. Why can't Superman have a baby sun eater in his Fortress of Solitude, I ask you?! Plus Quietly's art is just fantastic to look at, his Lois...meow. ;)

I also picked up Superman #226 recently as it was a crucial IC tie in, and I was quite impressed. The intercutting of the fight with E2's past made for a compelling read, and I really got the sense that this could very well be the battle for the end of the world. Great stuff.

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I definetly second that. I'm not that big of a Superman fan but Red Son was IMMENSLY entertaining. Mark Millar did a superb job. When I read it I must have flip-flopped on my view of Superman as either Hero or Villan every 3 pages or so!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.