main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info George Lucas donating the whole 4 Billion to charity!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Wow! This really impresses me!

Most awesome, George!

2. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    did somebody say TAX WRITE-OFF?

[​IMG]

Panakas_Dawg and R2-DK like this.
  3. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Generous move by him. Funny how everyone is praising him now [face_laugh]

4. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    George dont get led from your emotions. You wasnt loved enough from the fans and got pissed. we can understand that. you wanted to show this critique maniacs that you can do without them. we can also understand this. But ask yourself, what will you do in 5 Years when you got bored again? Maybe you will have another great vision for star wars, but no rights anymore. and maybe disney will take a direction you dont like?

They wont sell it back to you later. I would also questioning their promise to listen all of your advicec. I dont think disney is different than all of the moviecompanies you knew once. Lucasfilm was your way for independent Movies...you have sold that now...

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, that's cool!

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Lucas's health may be failing. It would be somewhat unlikely I think for a man as overweight as Lucas is to live far into his eighties. He's reached an age when he's likely suffering from diabetes brought on by his obesity. And if he's had it long enough, he may be hammered by its many side effects. On the other hand, there's no doubt he has access to great healthcare. The things he has to look forward to at his weight are of course diabetes, heart disease, colon cancer, etc.

That link says that George Lucas is giving at least 1 penny more than half his sale proceeds to charity. It's extremely generous, but he's also not likely to leave his children without multi-hundred million dollar inheritances. It's hard to know exactly how much cash Lucas takes out of his business every year, and what assets and investments he may have separate from the Lucas business empire. I suspect he's taken the usual steps that billionaires tend to take to diversify their wealth.

But I believe the donation reflects his personal politics. Like Warren Buffet, Lucas may have very strong personal feelings against creating dynastic fortunes and may not want his kids to have virtually unlimited wealth without having done anything to earn it.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Great man, Lucas is!!

9. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    A very nice move made by George (perhaps not that surprising); I wonder how this will affect those who have continously spoken of how greedy Lucas supposedly is.

Padme501st likes this.
  10. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Well, given he's been suffering from diabetes since his 30s, he's managed to live and make movies for quite some time with it.

Anyways, great move from GL. I hope he's fine.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Adult onset diabetes already in his 30s? It doesn't look then like he's controlling it well through proper nutrition and exercise. Which likely means that by now the systemic effects are becoming fairly dire. Heart failure? Approaching blindness?

12. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    I'm not his doctor; I just read years ago that he was diagnosed with diabetes early on, checking it turns out it was as early as 1966.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Very generous indeed.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    THIS!!!!!!

He has been long overdue to receive the Nobel Peace Prize! This only solidify's the fact that he deserves it.

15. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Firstly, calm down. I was joking; Lucas does not need a Nobel Peace Prize. Secondly how does my comment "solidify the fact he deserves it"?

16. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    As a teacher who believes deeply in the importance of education...I was blown away to find out that he feels the same way and is committing so much money to that belief!

17. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    He should only get a medal if they redo Episode IV and give Chewbacca one. That MTV stunt DOES.NOT.COUNT. :p

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Very well done Lucas! Just one more thing to admire him for.

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Not your comment. Lucas's record.

And IMO he does deserve it. Nothing anyone says could ever make me feel otherwise. Sorry. Agree to disagree.[face_peace]

20. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well done, Lucas.

Well done.

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  21. mandragora

May 28, 2005
    Not sure how I feel about this. This prize has been given to too many people or institutions that have not much to do with the intention it was created for. Arafat? The UN? The IAEO? The European Union??

I say back to the roots with that prize.

"... to those who have "done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Not intending to belittle his generosity, but I'm not sure where it fits in with this.

JackG likes this.
  22. MO2YP

MO2YP Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Thank the Maker - this is why GL is amazing...!^:)^

23. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    George is the man!!!

24. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    The Force is strong with this one...

25. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Good Guy George.

I know I've accused him of being a greedy money grubber in the past, I think I'll take that back... He does seem to be quite a misunderstood guy does our George.