main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas on the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by G-FETT, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    These comments are from the TV programme The Directors, and appeared on TF.N Episode III Page today. They give a revealing insight as to how George Lucas feels about the overall Saga. I have cut out quite a bit of stuff that doesn't relate to the Forum.

"I see Star Wars as a 6 part movie, done in 12 hours. I don't see them as individual episode's, I see them as one 6 episode movie".

"I hope my work is going to be remembered better than it is today, but I think in time, once the superficial aspects have been forgotten, and people look at the movies for what they are, I think they will find them kind of fascinating and I'm hoping they will be delved into further, than the contemporary analysis, and see them for what they are, which is more sociological than I think most people at this point want to think of them."

"I think in time a lot of the contemporary feelings about the films will have drifted away, and people will be able to see the films in their true light. They're very simple and very complex at the same time."

Lets hope George Lucas is right. I think he will be. Star Wars will be seen as one movie in time, and people will see the subtle brilliance of all the movies, PT and OT together. :)

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Yep. His comments summed up the thoughts I've always had on the saga.

It'll work... It'll work.

3. HKChicago

HKChicago Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2002
    Right now that's all been kind of been mixed up in a funny kind of way and it¹s gotten very controversial and people have very strong opinions one way or another and I think in time a lot of the contemporary feelings about the films will have drifted away and people will be able to see the films in their true light.

THis quote is the best I could find that sums up his stance on why we may never see the original OT as a mass-market DVD release. I hope to see eventually it in true HD if we never see it on DVD.

Otherwise, I agree the saga is working as a 6 part movie.

4. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    It seems the PT was never really a part of George?s plans:

I reached a point where my son was old enough?he was about five years old?that I thought I could go back and direct again. So then I was faced with this decision about what I was going to do. Was I going to go back and finish the kinds of movies, and do the kinds of movies that I had started out doing, which was sort of the ?where I would have gone had I not gone to [i]American Graffiti[/i] and if I continued the [[i]THX-1138[/i]] idea, the sort of San Francisco avant-garde scene?? You know, the more pure cinema, visually oriented kinds of films. Or would I go back at that point and finish [i]Star Wars[/i]? [Would I] do this back-story, which I never really intended to do and wasn?t written as a movie. And which technically couldn?t be done when I finished [i]Return of the Jedi[/i]. But now, you know fifteen years later, I have the technology. ILM had developed digital technology to a point after [i]Jurassic Park[/i] that I could actually consider doing some of the things that were thought about in the back-story. And so I said ?Do I finish [i]Star Wars[/i] or do I go off and do these other things?? I knew that if I went off and did these other things that I would probably never go back to [i]Star Wars[/i] and that would be the end of it.

? George Lucas, quoted in R. Emery, [i]The Directors[/i][hr][/blockquote]

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Well, weather or not Lucas intended to make the PT or not, I'm incredibly pleased he did. It has opened up Star Wars in totally differant and unexpected ways, for me. It has taken Star Wars to a whole new level, and I love Star Wars more now, thanks to the PT, than at any other time in my life.

I always find George Lucas' comments fascinating. I wish we could here more from him, on the DVD Commentary's. Somehow I find the ILM geeks kind of boring [face_laugh]

6. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Bad Radio, who cares when GL decided to make the PT or if he always intended on making it? Does it really matter? You either like the movies or you don't. Why should it matter whether there was a grand scheme from 1977 or if it was made on the fly, as w/ most films and sagas?

7. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    >>>> Bad Radio, who cares when GL decided to make the PT or if he always intended on making it? Does it really matter? You either like the movies or you don't. Why should it matter whether there was a grand scheme from 1977 or if it was made on the fly, as w/ most films and sagas?

I just thought it was interesting that he said that. What is your point?

8. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Its just a general observation that I have that many people who are disatisfied w/ Rotj and the prequels harp on the fact that they don't think Lucas had it all planned from the beginning and that he makes it up as he goes along. I just don't understand why that is important. All directors and writers make changes over time. Why should it matter if Lucas does it as well? Thats all, I didn't mean to make you think I was attacking you BadRadio.

9. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Agreed

It doesn't change anything if Lucas had every screenplay written from day 1 or wrote them one after the other constantly changing them in the process. Either way IMO they're great movies

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I always enjoy Lucas' comments on the DVDs more than the tech guys, too.

I realise there's a lot of interest in how effects are done and so on...but maybe it'd be better to have two audio commentaries - one with the ILM crew, and the other with Lucas and cast members. I can wish :)

11. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Word. 2 audio commentaries, that´s the way to go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.