main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Getting Away With Palpatine' Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Pfft, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    Thread for discussion on possible plots and actions regarding Palpatine's Emperorship.

This thread is NOT about Palpatine is/isn't Sidious.

Some points for discussion:

1. "Vote of No Confidence" (TPM)

Queen Amidala used this in TPM to get rid of Chancellor Valorum. In EpIII the Senate may use this vote to get rid of Palpatine from office. Could this single vote be the reason why the Senate is still a threat to the Emperor in EpIV?

A possible plot point here could be that Bail Organa may try to use this vote to oust a Chancellor that has been in power too long or is no longer effective and won't step down. Thus, while Palpatine plays with his own army and newly created Empire, Senator Organa and the remaining Republicans are forced into the Empire after facing serious enslaughts after the Clone Wars.

2. "Emergency Powers Act" (AotC)

The Emergency Powers Act was set up by Senator Ask Aak of Malastare and Senator Binks of Naboo.

When will Palpatine be asked to return his emergency powers back to the Senate? Who will ask for them back?

This could be the beginning of the Rebel Alliance. We know from the radio dramas that at the time that Princess Leia was captured, the Emergency Powers act was still being enforced in the name of the Emperor by Darth Vader.

3. The Jedi

By ANH, the Jedi are no longer a representative party for the Republic nor the Empire.

What threat could the Jedi be to the Emperor that would have them turn against him and be supported by other members of the Republic? Or is it that those who support the Jedi remain in the failing Republic while those who prefer the Emperor's Guards join the Empire?

4. Confederacy of Independent Systems

What role do they have in the formation of the Empire and the security of Palaptine's position?

2. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Could this single vote be the reason why the Senate is still a threat to the Emperor in EpIV?

I think the only reason they were still a threat to palps in ANH was because they simply got in his way when trying to do really bad things, cause he'd of had to given the senate some power to give the people the illusion the republic was still somewhat alive

Even if they did vote him out, who's gonna make him? The military's entirely loyal to Palpatine, not the senate. It's like the Caesar's of the Roman Empire, as long as the army was on their side the senate could do whatever it wanted and never be a real threat

3. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    1. "Vote of No Confidence" (TPM)
    2. "Emergency Powers Act" (AotC)

I think these kind of go together..as Queen Padme put Palps in power by calling for vote..as Senator I think she will put Palps to same vote when he refuses to give up the powers granted to him during Clone War. This is prolly going to be what decides her fate.

3. The Jedi
    Palps is a Sith..Jedi are enemies of Sith..(besides the fact they would eventually have figured him out and ruined his master plan..)

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    1. The Vote Of No Confidence

"In EpIII the Senate may use this vote to get rid of Palpatine from office."

Most of the Senate backs him. There seemed to be a consensus amongst the Senators when Jar Jar proposed the Emergency Powers Act in AotC. Dooku says (something to the effect) that the Dark Lod of the Sith controls the Senate. Without getting into Palpatine = Sidious debates, it's a safe bet that the Senate won't pull this move on him in Ep3 ;)

"Could this single vote be the reason why the Senate is still a threat to the Emperor in EpIV?"

I don't think they are a threat at all in ANH. In fact, they're so inconseqential by the time he has the Death Star that he can dismiss the Senate without fear of repurcussion. The Imperial Senate probably has to stay as a paper tiger until he has the ultimate power in the Galaxy, then their continued existence is irrelevant. It's only in ANH that the Empire becomes tyrannical, with Palpatine ruling through fear instead of representation.

2. Emergency Powers Act

" When will Palpatine be asked to return his emergency powers back to the Senate? Who will ask for them back?"

Nobody will ever ask for them back. I made a bit of a rant post in this thread about this very issue but the the tail end said: "...in regards to Palpatine retaining his powers, it's simply a case of going from one enemy to the next and simultaneously whittling down any detractors who might stand against him by sending them to the front lines. Between AotC and ANH, we know the battle moves from the Seperatists to the Rebel Alliance. If Palpatine keeps the Republic/Empire in a constant state of emergency then he'll never need to lay down the powers he's had invested in him "when the crisis abates".....because they never leave the crisis"

3. The Jedi

"....the Jedi are no longer a representative party"

I wouldn't call them a representitive party in AotC. They seemed more like advisers who were forbidden to interfere in Senate proceedings. This is what upsets Dooku so much that he goes bad, that the Jedi are only reactionary, always chasing their tails and not taking a guiding hand in the fate of the Galaxy. Palpatine gets it too, hence the Clone Wars.

" What threat could the Jedi be to the Emperor that would have them turn against him and be supported by other members of the Republic?"

I don't think they will conciously turn away from him. They just don't understand that he's the bad guy, they can't perceive the threat until they're all dead. The only two survivors know, certainly. But by the time they realise they're fighting to live themselves, not save the Galaxy. It is possible that Palpatine will put someone else up to out the Jedi as starting the clone army, which I also covered in that rant

4. The Confederacy

" What role do they have in the formation of the Empire and the security of Palaptine's position?"

OK, I got no clue for that.
    I gotta think about this a little bit further.
    "Throw me a frickin' bone here!" :p ;)

5. Pfft

Pfft Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2003
    1. The Vote Of No Confidence

Without getting into Palpatine = Sidious debates, it's a safe bet that the Senate won't pull this move on him in Ep3

But the Senate doesn't need to back this vote. Amidala was able to pull it off fairly easily. If the Senate feels threatened by Palpatine's power, they will move against him. The problem will lie in WHO will make that vote; especially if Palpatine is threatening systems.

I don't think they are a threat at all in ANH. In fact, they're so inconseqential by the time he has the Death Star that he can dismiss the Senate without fear of repurcussion.

The Senate still does have some power by the time ANH roles on, but not enough to fight Palpatine. However, this may not be the case at the time of EpIII.

2. Emergency Powers Act

Nobody will ever ask for them back.

I don't believe this. It makes sense for the Rebel Alliance to be rebelling against the Emergency Powers. There was something in the Radio Dramas about this - I might sus it out.

If Palpatine keeps the Republic/Empire in a constant state of emergency then he'll never need to lay down the powers he's had invested in him "when the crisis abates".....because they never leave the crisis"

But at some point the Senate is going to want to know WHY the crisis hasn't been abated - same with the Jedi.

Which begs me to ask: is the Clone Wars and the Civil War the same thing?

If the Clone Wars have ended, then the crisis HAS abated. If the Civil War begins, then that is another matter.

3. The Jedi

I wouldn't call them a representitive party in AotC.

I think they are. They were used as a Representative Party in TPM.

They seemed more like advisers who were forbidden to interfere in Senate proceedings.

But they were - they were interfering in the processes of the Senate. They were sent to Naboo to 'force' a treaty from the Neimoidians; they weren't acting in the name of peace and justice but rather the interests of the Supreme Chancellor.

And worse still, Palpatine has set them up in AotC to actually begin openly interferring with the Senate. I don't think the Senate is going to like the Jedi looking into what is actually going on behind closed doors.

I don't think they will conciously turn away from him. They just don't understand that he's the bad guy, they can't perceive the threat until they're all dead.

Palpatine never gets his hands dirty. The threat will never be against him - it will be against the Republic. He will use the Jedi as a threat to democratic processes in EpIII when they continue to investigate what is going on. This will rile the Senators who will turn against them in the Senate.

Everything must be legal...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.