main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

GL, "I think the secret to the future is quantity,"

Discussion in 'Archive: Santa Cruz, CA' started by DarkLordSid, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordSid

DarkLordSid Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    http://www.variety.com/VR1117951284.html

I understand the article, and I also think the blockbuster can't go on as it has.

However...

TV has not been George or Steven's friend. ER has done well and in it's 11th year I believe.

But looks at the list of shows that premiered with great fanfare only to vanish soon after...

Amazing Stories
    SeaQuest
    Young Indy

All good ideas, but ideas which didn't last with QUANTITY.

In this era of mass production and generic offerings and "same old, same old", I'm rather disappointed that George is taking this route.

Maybe he'll do it different. Or maybe it's a longer term gamble which will be just as disastrous as the short term one.

It's tough to be original and fresh when you have to grind out 12-24 hours a year. Some series do well, but a vast number die off, not from a disenfranchised fan base, but from ratings, and ratings are more fickle than box office, and harder to gauge. You know how many warm bodies you got in a theater, but how many channel surfers pause long enough to watch?

Look at other promising series that tanked or almost got canceled:

Babylon 5
    Crusade
    Firefly

The Star Trek franchise is the exception, that stayed on the air despite flagging ratings (well, there was Enterprise).

I think digital is the way to go, and indeed that theaters will begin to fade away for many of us. Home Entertainment Systems are taking over, with high quality sound and picture, and without the guy behind you on his cell phone or the baby crying in row seven.

But that's just me, I've worked at places that decided to offer fast "all you can eat" quantity over slow crafted quality, and they all seemed to diminish and lose their luster and reputation as the best at what they did.

True, the demands to meet schedule are always there, no matter if it's TV or movies. But... hmmm.

And there is this bit too...

"Nor is Lucasfilm's exit from features instant or absolute. "Indiana Jones 4" is still in development. "Steve (Spielberg) and I are still working away, trying to come up with something we're happy with. Hopefully, in a short time, we will come to an agreement. Or something," Lucas said, without a great deal of enthusiasm."

OUCH.

Or something.

*wince*

2. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't want to settle for "or something" and I don't think the other fans out there will either. Come on George. You've showed us what you can do, now up the quality a bit. Put more focus on story and less on special effects and watch the fans come back to you.

Trust me on this, George. Have I ever led you astray? :)

3. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Oh, of course they will, we've had to do it since, ahem, the late 90's. Let me ask honestly how many people are champing at the bit to pay to go see Phantom Menace AGAIN, just because it's going to be 3D or something this time? Not me. I saw it once opening night, and once in digital just to see if it was worth all the hype (answer: no...if I want a large-screen TV's 'visibly lined' reception, basically I can do that it at home for free). I bought it just to have it (there's about 20 minutes in there I actually do like). But under NO circumstances am I going to throw good money after bad and go see it again in the theater. Yet people will flock to it in droves.

I agree with a lot of what Sid says. Ouch indeed. Yet I have hope -- I have just read more in-depth articles about all of the makeup craftsmanship and artistry on X-Men 3, and how the pendulum is now starting to swing back to "real" crafted special effects model work, makeup, etc. My feeling about digital effects/makeup etc is the same as my friend's adage: "What's worse than bad theater? Bad theater when you have really great seats." If it's done well (*cough* WETA/LOTR *cough*) then it's fantastic. But if it's done badly... The X-Men 3 team are about to receive a special award at a major awards presentation in Hollywood this month, which is historically one of the earliest first indicators for the Academy Awards. I want to see more actual people working with actual models and actual skills, I'm tired of the all-technology or digital-heavy stuff. This is not to say I dislike it, I just want more of a balance.

MCP

4. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    That short was pretty accurate.

And, I think SeaQuest lasted a little too long, considering. It was revamped after the second season. And a few of the people involved went on to bigger and better things...like Star Gate SG-1. :)

5. mrcottonsparrot

mrcottonsparrot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 26, 2004
    Sid! Sid! I thought of you! Go to YouTube and watch
    "Lord of the Rings by George Lucas"
    Thought of you immediately upon the opening narration...

My favorite line: "I don't need locations, I have computers."

Also: "If you have computers, and electricity...and money..."

And Christopher Lee: "I loathe that man..."

MCP

6. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    *waves hand* I'm not the one you are looking for, move along, move along.

7. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    That LotR thing was hysterical. LOVED "Hayden"!!

8. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    This was passed along to me via other channels, and it cracked me up. Sadly, it's so true.

"I loathe that man..."

9. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Indy 4 still not sorted????? Drop it, Drop it now. It's clear it must suck if it's taking this long to come to an agreement.

Quantity vs Quality.

Dont see it. We dont have that much of a choice of new films every week at the cinemas cos the studios are all too scared to compete with each other so we only really get two "big" openings every weekend. Where's the Quantity?

I for one will never choose TV/DVD/IPOD etc over going to the cinema and experiencing films as they are intended to be seen with a group of people on a huge screen. Cinema's need to crack down harder on the annoying things such as cellphones, I see one place tried to install a thing that disables all the signals.

I also cant wait to see Star Wars in the new 3D. Yeah TPM isn't great but to see the pod race and the duel in 3D will be amazing.

10. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Right there on this one with ya!!!! As much as I love Indy....I'm really starting to get nervous about this. Or just suck it up and get Sean Patrick to portray Indy again. He is the right age now, knows the character inside and out and would be awsome. I really want to see Indy fighting Nazi's again..not some cold war thing and ESPECIALLY not see Calista in the female lead..[face_sick]

11. DarkLordSid

Aug 3, 2004
    You know, I think they could make a real coup with the marketing if they would bring back Marion.

Go full circle, heck, that and "Dad" would make it the blockbuster of the decade.

DOH, just checked www.imdb.com to see what Karen is up to, and guess what?

Indiana Jones 4 (2008) (pre-production) (rumored) .... Marion Ravenwood

Seems I'm not the only one who likes that idea.

But George and Steven better get on with it, it's looking like it might be called, "Indy Jones and the Walker of Doom"

12. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Featuring a slow-speed electric wheelchair chase.
    "I'll...(wheeze) get you....(gasp) Indy!"

13. ID-2132

ID-2132 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Another Pre-Quel????????????????? No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.