main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph GLEE

Discussion in 'Community' started by Whitey, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I'll just copy what I wrote in the Amph:

For the episode, it can be summed up as:

NPH + MM = vocal gold

NPH + JL = snarkiness gold

Artie + realistic-ish story = heart-breaking

Idina Menzel = more please

On the spectacular Ms Menzel, I'm just disappointed that we couldn't get a reunion between her and Kristin Chenowyeth.

That was a very Whedon-esque moment. He knows just how to edit those scenes for maximum impact.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that 90% of people that watch Glee picked what Idina's role in the overall story was 5 seconds into her appearing on screen.

Edit: Oops, missed some spoiler tagging.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Since I really don't like NPH's character on "How I Met Your Mother", it was good to see him in his glory in a show like Glee that showcased his singing talents. I've watched Dr. Horrible countless times and listened to the soundtrack even more than I've watched it. He is truly talented and I hope we see and hear more of him in the future.

I will admit that I didn't see the Rachel's mom revelation coming so it was a nice surprise and a welcome twist. The Artie dance in the mall was well done, even though I'm not a huge Artie fan.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I think my biggest disappointment was that they didn't let Idina just sing "I Dreamed a Dream." They let Lea come in and take the spotlight. :(

4. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    IMO, I think she has the most talent out of all of them.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    After watching this episode I'll go out on a limb and suggest that Kevin McHale may, in fact, be the best dancer of the bunch.

Which is doubly-sad.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It was really nice though that he got a chance to dance. I wouldn't call him the best, though. That's gotta be Harry Shaum Jr. (Mike Chang). Pretty much his whole purpose for being on the show is to be a kick ass dancer.

Anyway, I too have to admit I didn't see the revelation about Rachel's mom. Which makes me feel stupid because as soon as it became clear in this episode, I was just like, "Oh holy crap, they look exactly alike".

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007

See I knew it because of the reason why people lobbied the show to begin with. The second I heard she was on, viola. And what do you know? Of course she's the mom.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I really liked the rendition of Poker Face, even though the pairing and situation was kind of weird for the song.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Agreed on both counts. I've heard Gaga do a similar version but I think they nailed it a little bit better.

Song of the night though goes to Bad Romance.

10. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    The Whedon episode totally ruined me. I was so underwhelmed by last night except for the Kurt/Kurt's dad/Finn scene.

11. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    I rather enjoyed it.

If only for the depiction of Twilight fans.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Haha, yes, how could I forget? Making fun of Twilight fans FTW.

-sj loves kevin spacey

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm kinda boycotting the episode because I loathe Gaga, so can someone sum up any important things?

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    "Theatricality" episode "imporant things":

Tina
    - has identity crisis
    - all works out in the end

Rachel
    - figures out who her mom is
    - their reunion isn?t all rainbows and kittens
    - they sing together and decide to live their own lives

Kurt and Finn
    - both have trouble with two football players
    - move in together thanks to Finn's mom and they all live in Kurt?s father?s house
    - fight over sexuality get Finn kicked out of house
    - Finn later defends Kurt against football players

Quinn and Puck
    - fight over the name of the baby
    - Puck sings Kiss?s "Beth" to Quinn

"Theatricality" episode synopsis:

Tina gets in trouble by Principal Figgins for dressing in Goth. The principal believes in vampires and doesn't want Tina dressing that way.

The girls have been spying on "Vocal Adrenaline" and found out they were doing GaGa. So of course, the assignment this week for "New Directions" was to do GaGa as well. Of course the guys didn't want to do GaGa, so instead they did Kiss. With everyone dressing up was supposed to inspire Tina find a new look.

Again, with the girl's spying on the other team, Rachel realizes that the coach of the other team is her mom when she sings "Funny Girl". The reunion wasn't at all what they were hoping for. Rachel's mom realizes quickly that she wanted her baby back in her life, but now her baby was practically an adult, so towards the end of the episode they sing together and they say their goodbyes (for now I'm sure).

Since Kurt and the others are dressed like GaGa, he gets flack from two football players. Finn gets the same flack from the football players about being in glee club. Outside of school, Finn's mom decides to move in with Kurt and his dad, so now Finn and Kurt have to live in the same room. Kurt re-designs the room and gets mad that it looks "faggy". So Finn starts calling things in the room "faggy" and Kurt's dad walks in to rip Finn a new one for using that word. He tells Finn that he has to move out.

Towards the end of the episode, the two football plays are about to beat up Kurt, but Finn intervenes. And then every from the glee club shows up to have their back. The football players leave promising that next time they are going to bring their friends.

They all realize that purpose of this week's assignment was about accepting who you are no matter how ridiculous you look. Tina uses Principal Figgins?s fear of vampires to convince him that her vampire father will come after him if he doesn't let her dress the way she wants to dress. The End.

IMO, the best part of the episode, that got the littlest amount of screen time, was Quinn and Puck. Puck wanted to name the baby Jack Daniels (or Jackie Daniels). Quinn said it doesn't matter because she's giving up the baby. Later on, Puck addresses the glee club after studying Kiss, and he and the guys sing "Beth" to Quinn. It was really well done and I enjoyed it better than the Kiss version. After the song is over, Puck says that he would like to be there for the baby's birth and he thinks that they should name her Beth.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've been going over in my head how we possibly got the results we did for Regionals.

Sue:

New Directions
    Other
    Vocal Adrenaline

ONJ:

Other (they sang her)
    Vocal Adrenaline
    New Directions

Rod:

Vocal Adrenaline
    Other
    New Directions

Josh Groban:

New Directions
    Vocal Adrenaline
    Other

TOTALS:

New Directions: 1, 1, 3, 3
    Vocal Adrenaline: 1, 2, 2, 3
    Other: 1, 2, 2, 3

If everything is tallied as "lowest number wins" -- they all tie at 8.
    If everything is weighted (e.g. 5 / 3 / 1) -- they all tie at 12.

So what sort of cockamamie scoring scheme led to the results we had?

16. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    It's teevee, sweetheart.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DENIED!

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    It was for the drama, don't overthink it!

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I just started watching re-runs of the first season on Fox and I LOVE IT!

As someone who enjoys acting I can relate to the kids in the glee club, and the humor is just the kind I like.

Can't wait for Thursday!

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    After holding off of Glee, since it started, I finally gave in for the Rocky Horror episode. Because, well, that's how I roll. I enjoyed it a lot, even more on a second viewing.

So, naturally I watched this week, and they're singing Beck!!!!:mad:

W
    T
    F????

Like I needed another show to suck me in. Oh well, Caprica(grrrrrrr) left an extra hour of tivo per week, so congrats to everyone that nagged me for well over a year to watch this show, you finally made me give in.

21. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Watch the Joss Whedon episode. It's the best Glee ever.

22. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Watched the Rocky Horror episode last night, can't help but feel they chickened out by not putting the show on.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So, there's this new reality show "The Glee Project" where a bunch of kids (~18-35?) are vying for a role on Glee.

In episode one, one of the bottom 3 that had to 'fight for their life' made a hilarious ****-up. Made with such conviction, by inadvertently ever so slightly changing the lyrics to Rick Springfield's 'Jesse's Girl'. No youtube clip yet, but if you can hulu it or whatever, please do.

24. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    That was amusing. At the moment it's actually 4 of the remaining guys that are standing out (Alex is good, but I don't think a cross between Kurt and Mercedes is needed ahead of original pieces). It might just be the editing but none of the girls except for Ellis even registered as interesting to watch.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ryan Murphy is a ****.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/exclusive-ryan-murphy-talks-for-first-time-about-glee-spinoff-show-firings-controversy/