main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph God of War novel by Matthew Stover

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by whateveritis12, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Offering deeper insights into the critically acclaimed God of War® franchise, this novel returns us to the dark world of ancient Greek mythology explored in the heart-pounding action of God of War I, the bestselling video game.

A brutal warrior, Kratos is a slave to the gods of Olympus. Plagued by the nightmares of his past and yearning for freedom, the Ghost of Sparta would do anything to be free of his debt to the gods. He is on the verge of losing all hope when the gods give him one last task to end his servitude.

He must destroy Ares, the god of war.

But what chance does a mere mortal have against a god? Armed with the deadly chained Blades of Chaos, guided by the goddess Athena, and driven by his own insatiable thirst for vengeance, Kratos seeks the only relic powerful enough to slay Ares . . . a quest that will take him deep into the mysterious temple borne by the Titan Cronos!

From the black depths of Hades to the war-torn city of Athens to the lost desert beyond, God of War sheds a brutal new light on the bestselling video game and on the legend of Kratos.

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780345508676

Just looking around God of War message boards today and ran into this little nugget. Matthew Stover has written a novel adaptation of the first God of War game. Definitely has me interested. It's coming out in May.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This has the potential to make Traitor look like kiddy stuff.

Stover writes violence very well so this has potential.

3. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    God of War is the combination of ultraviolent and thought provoking morality questions that's right up Stover's alley. Kratos isn't a good guy at all, but he follows orders from the gods so that he can get rid of his haunting memories. I wouldn't be surprised if some portions of the game are expanded on in the book (like some of the things Kratos did in service for Ares besides the time he killed his family, and then maybe some more on the things that he did in the service to the gods). Definitely want to pick this one up.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ah great if this is based of the game I think I will just get the book instead of buying the game. GoW3 has me very interested but I dont want to have to play 1 & 2 before hand.

5. KiwiRogue

KiwiRogue Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2005
    He also has Test of Metal, a Magic: the Gathering novel coming out later this year.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    You don't need to play the first two games, but they do have a special edition of the GOW 1&2 for ps3. Anyways the plots of those games can be easily found if you scan the net.

I'm looking forward to this novel, it should be awesome.

7. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    GoW 1&2 is on a Blu-Ray disc for the PS3 huh? I didn't know that. Is it supposed to have better graphics then the PS2 ver.?

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Supposedly, yes.

9. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    It does have better graphics then the PS2 counterparts, but they only did the game play so some of the cut-scenes (especially the ones that use the PS2 game engine) look weird compared to the rest of the game. It's $30 now so if you're interested and didn't get the games when they came out on the PS2, then I'd recommend getting it (only if you're interested in the games).

10. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm somewhat interested in this. On the one hand, it's a video game novel for a video game series I've never played. On the other hand, it's Matt Stover.

Hmm.

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Oh cool! God of War is the video game franchise that almost makes me regret opting out of a PS3 in favor of a 360. I had the great fortune to play one of the games on my PSP, and then I felt like crap. :p So this is great news, perhaps I can kill vicariously through Stover. ;)

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    perhaps I can kill vicariously through Stover. ;)

That is the funniest thing I've heard this week :D

13. whateveritis12

Nov 29, 2008
    Eh you know what you're going to get with the God of War games, not too great of a story (but passable), some of the best gameplay around, and the best graphics for the time period. God of War III's scale is just absolutely spectacular, big things make you feel small, and there's a lot of moments that awed me with what they did.

Of course the main character makes every attempt for you to not care about him in the slightest, but the first game makes you feel at least a little bad for him (not enough for you to forget just how bad a character he is, but at least sympathize).

But that's not the point, it seems that whatever Stover touches turns into gold, and the God of War series has just enough moral ambiguity to it that it fits into Stover's main writing style (something that's carried his 4 Star Wars books).

14. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    You didn't expect Kratos to be a nice guy did you?:p

15. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Always happy to provide amusement. :D

16. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'm definitely going to have to get this book.

17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I just broke down and got the games and have been hooked on them!

18. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I planned on buying this book but instead of a $6.99 mass market paperback as I was expecting, it is a fifteen dollar trade. A few days ago I spent $14 on a book, so I wasn't keen on dropping 15 more on a book right now.

Also, it is co-written by another author, who got the acknowledgment and dedication pages and I'm wondering if maybe Stover's role in writing the book turned out to be less than originally planned.

Anybody read it yet? Is Stover's influence minimal? Is it worth $15?

19. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Does anybody read digital books? I got a nook for Mother's Day and fell in LOVE. Digital books are usually cheaper than physical. Once I got over the betrayal I felt at not turning the physical pages I downloaded all of the FOTJ books except the first one which i had. It takes a few moments to get the book and I don't even have to leave my house. I just wish i could turn all my star wars books into digital without repurchase.

My sons play GOW. I just might have to download it.

20. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002

How much memory does a novel take up? I was seriously considering buy an ipad.

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    My biggest Ebook is around 3 mb. So not very large for a thousand-page novel.

22. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i also put a microsd card in it. as a book addict, i am wondering if i can fill it up. i just got an ipad thru my school where i teach and i am in tech heaven.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
  24. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Did anyone end up reading this? How was it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.