main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena God Slayers (The Tennessee Titans fanclub)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by The Great No One, Oct 27, 2008.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Vince's trade value is in the dirt. You're out of the playoffs. Playing him is a smart move because you can possibly increase his trade value (it can't really get much lower, and optimistic teams can blame any struggles on the other problems), leading to more picks/players when he's gone at the end of the year. Or he could even tear it up and help you win a few.

You're certainly not going to get a new defense or talented WRs right now. So looking at a 'new' QB is something that can be done, even if it's probably rearranging deckchairs. :p

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I get all that, for sure. But I'm thinking we'll be sacrificing what's left (if anything) of the season to get Vince's trade value up. Great for Bud, bad for the team (unless we plan on drafting a high draft QB next yr--our only hope). Like you said, QB isn't our most pressing issue, it's pretty evident our defense is for the most part and I think you could help that a lot with a new D coordinator. May not be good to do it in the middle of the season, though, although I for one would welcome the try. I think the team is now is in more upheaval than it was going into the bye, though, and the QB change did that. I don't know that the D coord change would.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    (unless we plan on drafting a high draft QB next yr--our only hope)

I'm still pulling for the Titans to take Colt McCoy :D :p

4. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Two game winning streak! What are we going to do with ourselves?

I heart Chris Johnson, nervous tick and all.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    How 'bout that Vince Young? [face_mischief]

[face_laugh]

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm completely "meh" about Vince Young. I think he's doing a good job, but I don't think he's the reason we're winning, unless you count the fact that he moves out of the pocket more than Collins. Chris Johnson, and our defense getting better is why we've won the last two games, but Vince's playing could certainly have helped spark the team. I still think we need to aim high in the draft for a good QB.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not disagreeing with you, I just find it amusing how he and Collins have, uh, slightly different records as starters this year. In particular, how different those are :p

8. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Oh, I know. Believe me, I know. :p

I'll admit that him being more mobile has helped us, I think. Sometimes it seems like Kerry would get this deer-in-the-headlights look or he'd throw the ball away or even worse, get intercepted. Vince definitely jukes and jinks more (<---is that a term?), and I think the change, if nothing else, inspired Johnson, so if it works I'm all for it. I'm just jealous of all those teams who have those QBs who can throw those long passes, I guess, you know...the pretty boys. :p

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You mean teams that have guys like, say, Peyton Manning? [face_mischief]

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, his passes are pretty, anyway. Bless his heart.

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Yeah, Jamarcus Russelll can throw a big pass.

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Marcus wins :p

13. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Ooh! Do I get second place? What do we get?

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Jamarcus Russell himself, since you want a QB with a big arm :p

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I think calling Jamarcus Russell a quarterback with a big arm is stretching the word "quarterback" a little far in its definition.

16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    quasi-quarterback would be a better word choice i think.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    He takes the snaps from the center, hands the ball off, and throws the ball around... that qualifies as a QB. I didn't say anything about being a good QB :p

18. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I am officially asking Santa for a Chris Johnson jersey this year.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd just like to say that a team on a ten-game winning streak missing the playoffs would be about the best and funniest thing ever, so go Titans the rest of the year!

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    You mean, go Titans, win out, but miss the playoffs? [face_laugh]

21. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I wouldn't be shocked if a 9-win team got the last wild card in the AFC: it sounds crazy, but why not give the Titans a chance? Assume Arizona takes it easy with Warner this Sunday -especially with the division locked up- and you have a huge rematch with Indy set up. If somehow they escape with a win, look out.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    *happily has one*:D

and yea... honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if the titans managed to beat the colts and win out. not in the least.

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, I will officially put it out there that I may have to eat my words about Vince. SO happy to see him passing from the pocket yesterday, and hitting his receiver, even on longer drives. If he keeps maturing, we'll be dangerous next year. Heck, miracles could happen and make us dangerous this year, but I'm not counting on it. And Vince and CJ, combined with our hopefully reinvigorated defense, and our always impressive O-line...we might have the real Titans back.

Also, I love Mawae. I've always admired his class and leadership. He's awesome. He goes out of his way to shake the hand of the opposing coach, the opposing quarterback, and other players before the game as much as possible. A really great guy.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    as i said in the other thread, i can see no reason the titan's don't actually win out. if they make it past the colts with a win... who beats them? what team on their schedule has better than a snowballs chance in hell of beating them other than MAYBE the chargers? three of the worst teams in the league are what they've got after the colts, and i wouldn't be surprised at a 9-7 team making it, so even if they DO lose, they could still make the playoffs. the bronco's have at LEAST one more loss on their schedule in the colts, which means the best they can manage is 11-5. i don't know about you but that seems highly improbable. there's at least one other team i think they lose to, which means 10-6. there aren't that many other teams in the chase right this second that i think don't lose at least one more, which means they best they manage is 10-6. odds are most of them lose two more which puts them at 9-7. crazy as it is... the titans have a legit chance.

anyway, with young and CJ they DEFINITELY have the building blocks in place, and fisher will definitely be coming back next season after this season.

on a different note, who noticed that CJ set another record? first RB since jim brown to have five consecutive games of 125 or more on the ground and a 5.0 or greater YPC. crazy as THAT stat is, it's not the record i'm talking about. 3 runs of 85+. this is more than anyone else has had in a CAREER. and CJ has done this in. a. single. season. O_O and people are talking about him having a legit chance to break the 2k barrier, which would mean he's only the i think fourth RB to ever manage that. maybe fifth. IN HIS SECOND SEASON IN THE LEAGUE! not only that, but he might break dickersons record! this is mindblowing. even if he doesn't manage to play that long, he might end up being like gale sayers and make it into the hall regardless. five years of anything even close to his current production and i have no clue how you keep him out. and honestly, i'd say if the titans make the playoffs he is the MVP. period. no questions asked.

anyway, i'm done with my little spiel.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The trouble is the Titans have lost tiebreakers to the Steelers, who would be favourites in their remaining games (assuming Ben and Troy return as scheduled.)

I think the Broncos and Steelers are favourites...the Broncos still have KC (twice) and Oakland to play...I dunno what the tiebreaker is if Titans and Broncos are both 10-6. Strength of Victory? Broncos would win that with wins over Pats, San Diego and Dallas I think.