main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Grievous vs. Obi-Wan

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Jedi_Master_Ron, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    This may have been mentioned once or twice, but I was very dissapointed with the duel between Obi-Wan and Grievous. The battle had so much potential and yet only lasted about a minute. I know there were a lot of duels in ROTS, but I still think they should've extended this duel at least a minute longer. I was also dissapointed with how easily Grievous was cut down. Grievous was supposedly the greatest Jedi slayer of all time and Obi-Wan made killing him seem easy. What do you think?

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Don't believe evrything you see in Cartoons ;)

3. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    well, ronald... actually Darth Vader was, according to most novels, but the fight was short. I liked it a lot, but Grievous' hands got chopped up too easily. He had a lot of weaknesses

4. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Thanks Duggy and Brennan. Oh, and when I said single greatest Jedi killer I was referring to the starwars.com databank. Thanks for you posts.

5. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    yeah well the databank is full of bribery and corruption but you weren't supposed to know that...[face_shhh]

6. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    I do wish they could've made the duel more like the cartoon though, I enjoyed that duel very much.

7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Jan 7, 2006
    which one? you mean the one with shaak ti and those other bubs and then they got schooled by Grievous? oh...

8. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    if you saw the cartoon you know mace severaly wounded grievous just before rots starts. that's why he can barely fight. also, obi-wan is a superior warrior. grievous is better than many jedi in the clone wars, and uses fear as his ally. obi-wan is not afraid of him, therefore lacking that advantage grievous decides it is better to flee. this was also mentioned in the cartoon.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Grievous in the eu had the advantage of fear. Every Jedi that fought him except for Obi-wan, Mace and Anakin were afraid of Grievous. This is evident in the cartoons, the Grievous mini-series, Obsession/They Were Brothers, The Hunt For Grievous and Labryinth Of Evil. When Mace fought him in LOE, he was fearless and used his skills in Vaapad to defeat him. Obi-wan had no fear as well. He also learned to combine his offensive and defensive skills in such a way, that he could face off against Grievous and possibly win.

Initially, Lucas did have Grievous as a great Jedi killer. But during the editing of ROTS, he realized that Grievous would be better served as a more cowardly and slimly type of villian. The kind who will fight as a last resort, but then run when things aren't going his way. Gillard also worked to get two of the four sabers out of the way early, since it was a nightmare trying to have three stuntmen swing four Lightsabers and not look bad on set.

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    This is what makes Obi-Wan such a great Jedi. He does things that very few Jedi would be able to do. General Grevious thought that his lightning quick strikes and his multiple lightsabers would get the job done- WRONG! He finally came across a Jedi that wasn't afraid of him, and looked him in the eye and told him like it was. Grevious is not a Jedi or a Sith or a Force user for that matter. He's a pathetic character like say Darth Maul, who's purpose was served.

11. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Grievous was just as overrated as Boba Fett was. But Mace did do alot of damage to hime. and the only thing he had going for him in the cartoon was fear.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Dooku told Grievous that fear was essential for him to be able to go against a Jedi. If his opponet isn't afraid, it's best to get the hell out. That's exactly what happened when he realized that Obi-wan would beat him after the Force shove. And this lack of fear aided Obi-wan all the way through.

13. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005

need we say anymore, other than every sword fight as this needs to be WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY longer

14. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    It was a great fight. Just an awesome fight. The visual aspect of it was spectacular. It really shows Obi Wan can stand up to anyone who duels with him.

15. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I personally would rather have Obi-Wan cut Grevious to pieces quicker in exchange for a longer Dooku fight or Senate/Birth of Rebellion scenes.

Palpatine: You are no match for him, he's a Sith Lord!

Palpatine: He's no match for you, he's a loser cyborg with no Force Powers!

;)

Carnage

16. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Dooku was a wuss. He got beat by a short green guy, and Jedi and his Padawan.

17. MasterAnders

MasterAnders Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    That padawan is Anakin Skywalker one of the most, if not the most powerful jedi ever!
    And Dooku was not a wuss.

18. General_Kin

General_Kin Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Grievous was supposed 2 b a great jedi slayer but in ROTS Obi-wan was a class jedi i mean he destroyed anakin

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    No, he was only hyped up 2 b a great jedi slayer.

20. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    Thank you all. This clarifies a lot of questions I had.

21. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    To the casual star wars fan, it makes Grievous look like he sucks, and Obi just an average guy. I think there should have been one duel where GG fights an average Jedi (such as Shakk Ti like right before the deleted scene where she is on the ground) and you see him do very well. Cause in the films he is a crappy fighter. Books and cartoon he is awesome.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    As I said, Lucas changed the character. He didn't want the awesome Jedi killer. Why would an awesome Jedi killer have bodyguards, was his reasoning for the change. Chapter 25 justifies why Grievous runs from Obi-wan, by showing that Mace injured him.

Anyway, only those who read and watched the eu know that Grievous is supposed to be a Jedi killer.

23. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Obi-Wan may have owned Grievous in lightsaber combat, but Grievous uses his superior physical strength to beat the crap out of him later on. Obi-Wan just gets a lucky shot at the end.

24. -HD-YaebGinn

-HD-YaebGinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 31, 2005
    You are kidding me. Obi had that fight since the first saber he cut off of Grievous. He could have Force-pushed Grievous off the cliff, or done any number of things, but his way ensured that he died. If Grievous strength was truly superior, Obi would end up like the space ship that Grievous punched.

25. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jan 29, 2006
    I thought -HD-Yaebgin brought up a good point earlier, it didn't really look like Grievous knew what whe was doing. I really would've like to see Grievous duel another Jedi or show him kidnapping the Chancellor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.