main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC GS January Meeting thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Dark_Jedi_Kam, Dec 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    Let us begin to talk about January.

I suggest the 11th or 12th on January. We can either try to go to the Library again. or we could have it at someone's house and view another DVD like last month.

I personally enjoyed the DVD party/meeting and that is what I vote for.

We also need to decide how much dues will be this meeting. Do we want to do 3 dollars again, or go down to 1 dollar?

2. strangebehaviour

strangebehaviour Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2002
    me too! that was a lot of fun!

3. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    Place is fine for me. Dues are based on what we want as a group. If we want to rent rooms for functions and so forth we could build up our stash for that. Otherwise, we can just drop it to $1 for January.

BTW, I sent you and SL an e-mail last night about this.

4. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    In our effort to get new members, I think it might be a good idea to not have actual meetings at peoples' houses. Newcomers might not want to go to someone's house that they don't know. (Obviously watching a movie or something would have to be done at someone's house; it's unavoidable.) How did the library work out in October (I wasn't there so I have no idea if was a good place or not...)

So I vote for having a meeting somewhere public and perhaps going out to dinner or a movie or something afterwards. We can also schedule a DVD party (which was quite fun) for another weekend. Then I can have more things to write into my calendar to make myself feel important. :D

Edit: Got the email, Roger. You didn't get money from TK because I didn't have anymore to give you. :)

5. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    I thought the library worked out great and we did manage to lure some 501st people there. I believe SL makes a good point about newcomers.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I like the idea of a DVD party :) I think the meetings we've had at people's houses have worked well (providing people are happy to host them)

I can understand the worry that new members might not want to meet at someone house for a first meeting, however, I think we should wait until we see how much interest (new members) we get in the coming weeks. If there are a host of new members we should hold a public meeting, if not then someones house is fine :)

I would also limit the extent to which we mention money and dues on anywhere but the money thread as it may scare off potential new members. *I* realise that dues are optional, but new members might not, so I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and think we are some fee paying FanForce.

malkie (GSGD)

7. Cinnea

Cinnea Retired FanForce CR, Washington DC star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    I think public places work well too, for the same reasons. Avoiding food courts seems like it's key, however, unless it's the Crystal City Food Court which is never crowded on weekends. I'll brainstorm locations, and if I come up with any clever ideas, I'll post them.

8. JediShaLee

JediShaLee Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2002
    i like the meeting dinner and movie idea. I think alternating meetings to include public places many times would allow us to promote the meetings. But occasional ones at peoples houses will make for a good change.we can have the best of both worlds

9. JediShaLee

Sep 2, 2002
    Oh yeah i am working the 11th and 12th.can't take off flu season is going strong by then.
    sorry.I am off the next weekend though. :D

10. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    The only day I'm booked right now is Jan 19 (Ken is free though as far as I know). This can, however, change at any minute since Ken and I have two RPGs that will meet that month.

11. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    At the next meeting I would like to discuss everyone's ideas about an occasional lottery pool coming out of GS funds. This would only be in the rare event of the jackpot climbing over $150 million so it would only come in to play perhaps twice a year. Put some thought into it. :)

12. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    are we allowed to do that?

13. Darth_Stalker

Sep 14, 2002
    That is what we will talk about.

14. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    so whats ythe latest date on the meeting. ill try to show up this time with my new job i should be able to get there.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    It has been brought to my attention that most FF take a break during the months of Dec and Jan. We are not required to have meetings these tow months. I therefor recommend that for January we have a movie night meeting and discuss our plans for a membership drive in February, and discuss where we want to have our public meeting.

Thoughts???

16. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    Where would we have this movie night?

17. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001
    Sounds good to me what would we watch, when and where. I'm up for anything right now. we could have an all day moivethon watch the entire saga as it is now or the way it came out. hehehehe but whatever is fine with me.

18. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    Sounds like a great idea!

February would be a great time to start a membership drive, because the pretty fun Farpoint con is in mid-February. I also think there's Katsucon that same weekend - both are great opportunities to talk up the Senate to other like-minded folks.

19. stateless

stateless Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2002
    Yes, that sounds pretty good. A mini-meeting-excuse-to-get-together-and-watch-movies in Jan, then a big ol' real meeting in Feb (after Valentine's weekend, of course).

20. -Tenel-Ka-

-Tenel-Ka- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Ah yes, I will be the GS agent at Katsucon. :D I'll be sure to force people--- I mean... I'll be sure to show people the ways of the Forc-- I mean the Galactic Senate. Yeah. Uhm yeah. I'll tell them about the Galactic Senate.

O_O Oh dear. *cackles*

21. Cinnea

Jul 15, 2002
    You've got the right idea! Just practice your best Sith Lord voice and say "Join us. Together we can defeat the power of Star Trek fans and rule the galaxy as father and son." Ok, maybe we'll leave off the "father and son" part, but we'll come up with something.

22. JediShaLee

Sep 2, 2002
    When Is the movie night!Have we decided yet. Somehow i am feeling like 3PO.A little confused. Oh My!

23. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    I don't think we've decided yet, Sha. Don't be confused. :)

24. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I have "R2-D2: Beneath the Dome" for something to watch!

25. strangebehaviour

Aug 11, 2002
    I would like to see that! I should buy my own copy actually...

so Family Feud and Beneath the Dome. sounds like fun. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.