main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Guild Wars 2: Trailer released!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Aragorn327, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    [image=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/aragorn327/gw2.jpg]

Well, we just got the trailer last night! Check it out on GW2.com

There's also a new Q&A that came out with the trailer here.

Major new features:
    -Open world
    -New event system
    -New playable races (Human, Norn, Asura, Sylvari, and the despicable Charr)
    -Expanded/open? leveling system

[image=http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/101/1015971/guild-wars-2-20090819061410982-000.jpg]

[image=http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/101/1015971/guild-wars-2-20090819061414013_640w.jpg]

World changes over the 250 years between the first game and the sequel:

The Guild Wars 2 story is set about 250 years after the events in the Eye of the North expansion. The world of Tyria is drastically changed from its original form. These changes are caused by ancient dragons resurfacing after millenia of slumber. The first of the dragons, called Primordus, awoke during Eye of the North and proceeded to take over the underground network of Asuran tunnels under Tyria, driving the Asuras to the surface. Other dragons also resurfaced during the intervening centuries; one rose about the sunken holy city of Arah in the ruined kingdom of Orr, and severed the sea route between Kryta and Cantha; another arose to the south of the Crystal Desert, cutting off the link to Elona; a third dragon (known unofficially as Drakkar) arose in the Far Shiverpeaks and pushed the Norn south into land previously controlled by the Dwarves.

The human faction is much reduced. The resurfacing dragons caused massive floods that destroyed many coastal cities in Kryta, including its capital city, Lion's Arch and the PvP Battle Isles. The humans have established a new capital in Divinity's Reach after moving north from the coast. They're governed by a constitutional monarch and senate which attempts to balance all the human factions there. Many refugees flocked to Kryta from the rest of Tyria; most importantly, the humans from Ascalon. Ascalon now belongs entirely to the Charr apart from a single fortress, Ebonhawke. Ascalon City itself is a ghost town, populated by the vengeful spirits of its former citizens who slay all who dare enter.

Besides the humans, the other sentient races have a comparatively better time. The Norn and the Charr continue to honor their peace formed from a mutual respect. The Asura have spread through all cities, maintaining a network of teleportation gates but also remaining strictly neutral. The Charr achieve victory over Ascalon and settle into the former human capital of Rin. A new race, the Sylvari, appear fully formed from the mysterious tree that the centaur Ventari tended to until his death.

The Dwarves, who pursued the Destroyers deep and long at the end of Eye of the North, are now deathless creatures of stone; the few who remain watch the ages go by, interacting little with the other sentient races, if at all.

Lion's Arch has been rebuilt from the floods and is the new portal into the Mists; it takes the place of the Battle Isles.

In Cantha, the successor of emperor Kisu defeated the Kurzick and Luxon factions and reunited Cantha under one banner. Cantha then became much more isolationist; all non-human races were pushed out and the borders fortified. With the ancient dragon's undead corsair fleet disrupting travel, there has been no contact with mainland Canthans for a generation.

In Elona, Palawa Joko successfully rebuilds his undead army and lays siege to Elona. Vabbi is all but destroyed, its former splendor ruined by a famine caused by Joko diverting the river Elon. The Sunspears are broken by Joko's armies. The land bridge between Elona and the Crystal Desert is blocked by Joko's minions and the dragon, and the only news that slips through is carried by the Order of Whispers, who are now spread over all of Tyria.
    -GW2 wiki

[image=http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/101/1015971/guild-wars-

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    first!

Guild Wars 2 is an approachable, action-oriented online role-playing game with all the depth of an MMO.

:confused: They still refuse to call it an MMO even though its more persistent

3. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm guessing they're still trying to avoid the term to stay away from its stigma with subscription fees?

4. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Wow, they've taken a long time over this. I remember my friend going on about them making this about 5 years ago.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    huzzah!

6. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Everything I've seen so far and watched, leaves me wanting more. I need to finish the first one before getting into the 2nd one. But I can't wait.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  8. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  9. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    If you need any help and you see me online just send me a message Fatburt.

So secondary professions have been scrapped.

GW2 will have a 10 slot skill bar. The first five can not be changed as they are set by the weapon you equip. You MUST take a self heal and you MUST take an elite skill. Bad bars will not exist in GW2!

The professions will slowly be revealed, the first being Elementalist. There will be three scholar classes, three Adventurer classes and two warrior classes.

Heavy speculation on the monk class, may not even exist anymore as each class will be self reliant(I hope not competitive PvP could be rubbish without).

Bits of armour may have secondary effects, like stone boots which prevent knockdown/knockback(could be a new mechanic here!) although this doesn't sound too different to the current rune/insignia system.

Race skills will be less potent then profession skills.

Lots of mini games in outposts.

Skills effect each other now. So if an Elementalist sets up a wall of fire and someone fires a bullet through it, the bullet will do fire damage! If a warrior uses 'Cyclone Axe' in the wall of fire then it will explode outwards doing aoe damage. So the gameplay will be based around movement and knowing the skills.

Err I'm sure i've missed some things!

The game runs on a Geforce 8600.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  11. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Wow! I loved the Necromancer class in GW, and those videos look very impressive indeed. I'm quite liking the female Necromancer, and the Asura Necromancer seems kind of appealing too. I'm guessing the skills shown off are at the high end and that we won't get that kind of damage straight off. Something to look forward to! :D

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
  14. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That is awesome! If you need someone to play with just give me a shout! The email address in my profile is my MSN address.

15. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Yeah I have 30/50 done for my HoM. I severely lost interest in GW though after they did that purge BS. My GL retired from the game and turned it over to an idiot, then they had that HUGE account banning which kicked more than half my friends and long time mates out of the game including the new GL. We had to wait for months to get control of the guild back and once we got it 90% of the members had moved out or quit themselves so its kind of fizzled for me. I'd like to complete my HoM or even have a real active guild but I am so torn in staying in my original guild and carrying on it's name or moving into another one so I can have friends again.

Meh, I have enough money in ecto and items to finish most of my titles and finish my HoM minus all the Tormented weapons, might need some help with those.

What are you guys up to ingame? If you need some help look me up, Mathius Snipes.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just completed EOTN, still have sodding nightfall to do but I'm staying away atm as I really dislike the nighfall chapter.

I'm currently working the war in Kryta quests and then I'll (finally) get round to finishing sorrows furnace. I've still got loads I want to do and finish but RL (and the impending release of FM2011) keep occupying my time. Still if you see Ishaps Prayer online and I'm not mid quest I'll hook up with anyone if it proves productive!

17. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    I have done literally EVERYTHING in this game. I am beyond productive.

18. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Whats this War in Kryta stuff for #1? Is it worth re-installing GW and doing it?

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Hello? whats going on with this?

20. Aragorn327

Aug 20, 2001
    I just tried to load some web page to find out about this and it didn't even work.

Chim. Explain things to us. Go.

21. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Provided you have finished Prophesies and have EOTN you can access the war in Kryta (Now followed by the courtship of Gwen)

Full details are found here!

22. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Temped to install it and try...but I don't remember how to play

I miss looking up my Elementalist's skirt :(

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    New GW2 Profession is due to be announced later this week.

Guardian class apparently (Logan Thackery)

So far we have

Elementalist
    Warrior
    Ranger
    Necromancer

Guardian and Golemancer (Potentially)

Mesmer is mentioned in the books so I would expect a return along with Assassin, I know the Monk has been removed and I have a feeling that Paragon and Dervish is likley to go as well. The Ritualist as an unknown quantity ATM

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Guardian Announced

Appears to be a Warrior/Monk with an element of Ritualist skills in there.

25. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Sadly to say I haven't played in probably two months now. All my friends stopped playing and I am too old to make new friends in that game now, this ld dog is set in his ways and I forgot how to make friends so screw that noise. I'm not so sure about all this new stuff with 'The Courtship of Gwen' but that title sure sounds awful. I will say that War in Kryta, while it is ok and entertaining at first it is hardly worth reinstalling for the play. It is just more grinding and busy work to throw more crap into your HoM and keep you playing until GW II comes out sometime next century. WiK did add some cool new items (weapons, minis, armors, etc) but for the most part it is just re-skinned content to get people to keep playing, nothing to write home about.

I do have to check out the new stuff for GWII that is out now, been as many months since I have checked into that site as well.