main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Gulf Coast trajedy

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Dial- Do you have a Vader saber? If not I can bring my FX Vader if you want.

I did check my Jedi costume and it it shrunk too much to wear (or I got too fat this past year).

:)

But I do have my trusty tie-dye Ep. 4 shirt to wear.

PS.... If anyone needs it PM me and I'll give my private mobile phone number, just remember my "real" name is Damian, so if you ask for HAL I might get confused (which is not hard). I can provide some of the transportation needs, just ask and I'll do what I can.

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    wow.. so much to read and reply too!

DSJ thank you again..The banners sound great.. also, I will let Jen know that we are providing some much needed gas money for the DSG, and thanks to JM as well for the gas money, we should be able to put a good dent in the bill for them between all of us. DLJ have I mentioned yet... your a gem bringing your mom.. hope she knows what she is in for.. and I can't wait to see your girl in an Amidala outfit.

Hal, most definitely I know we will need transportation for somethings and maybe even someones.. I however.. don't want to kill your gas tank too much.. so don't let me run you ragged on that one. I also have to say .. I love that you zero'd in on the animals.. Jake and I are planning on bringing some pet items as well.. such a shame that people's pets are not being allowed to accompany them.. some of these pets survived with their owners on roofs for two/three days.. only for the people to be told they could not take their pets with them to the shelters.. I am wondering if they are going to start fostering the pets out to families.

JM and DSJ thank you both for the drinks! I will remember to get some ice for them.. We can get a big ice chest of ice at IHOP that morning for using.

JM we will call you periodically and let you know how it is going.. and I think coffee afterwards sounds great.. I have a feeling I will still be hyped even after!! Not to mention if we take down around 4pm.. we won't be wrapped up until 5ish most likely.

DSJ I think the Vader costume has to be your decision..I think you have put some effort into it.. I do not want to take away from that. I will be happy whichever way you go.. I am wondering if however..if we asked Jen.. if someone might be willing to lend a vader costume for the day in her care for you to wear.. I think I will call her and ask.. she is meeting with the members tomorrow for a labor day weekend party. I just don't want to hurt your feelings.. if you want to wear what you have come up with.. I want you to wear that.

As for the community room.. it is in use until noon.. however... I will be speaking with Jenny (event coordinator for bookman's) at 2pm and bookman's mentioned to me this morning that they have a few other areas they might be able to allow us to use for changing clothes. otherwise there are two bathrooms.. and as long as changes do not take to long.. no longer than the average bathroom visit.. umm.. ten minutes perhaps.. we can use that.. but let's wait to worry on that note till after I speak with Jenny.. the person this morning really thought that we can probably use the other room they have in back of the store.

Hal.. I'm thinking bring your FX saber either way.. some of the people getting pictures might love to be holding it.. if your up for us using it in that way.

umm.. did I cover all of the questions.. I am hoping so.. and I am sure there will be more to come later today!!

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    This is up on the Bookman's website incidentally ya'll..

events

4. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Sorry all, I was going to go through a make a post with the major highlights of the events last night. Unfortunately I fell asleep [face_blush]

Cathie, my mother is a former Red Cross volunteer. As long as she is sitting (she is slightly disabled) she is fine.

OK, have the news stations confirmed that Tucson is accepting refugees?

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the newspaper said this morning that arizona should have 1000 refugees before the weekend is up.. and yes.. tucson is taking some of them.

6. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Hal thank you, but I also have an FX Vader Im bringing, thanks for the offer though.

Cathie let me know what they say about the Vader from the DSG, I (of course) would love to have a more accurate costume to wear, but if they are uncomfortable about it I will still gladly wear mine. I am probable 3/4 the way done with it. I just finished the body suit last night.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ya'll are gonna like this.. Jenny from Bookman's and I were talking about set up and refreshments and dressing rooms and she asked if it were alright if she took a bit if License with our fundraiser.. in order to help promote it she has gotten their manager to agree to periodically throughout the day give away Star Wars items to the customers for donating to the fundraiser. God is smiling on us I do believe.

There is an upstairs dressing room if anyone needs the use of it for private dressing. Also, two bathrooms.. and of course we have the community room for our use from noon-2:30pm

right now I am heading into town to check into more donations of things like boxes and the like.. perhaps also donations for worldcare as well. If anyone needs me.... just leave a message on my house phone and I will check my voice mail and call you back.

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey guys here are the banners/posters so far, for some reason the opaque iron on transfers for the black cloth banner ended up coming out blotchy. Maybe someday we can take a vote towards an actual printed up banner like the Jedi Assembly has. Anyways, the white underneath our logo is just sticker paper, so we can just peel it off and use the banner again.

[image=http://members.aol.com/dialswiftjustice/private/KATRINABANNER.jpg]

[image=http://members.aol.com/dialswiftjustice/private/TFFBANNER.jpg]

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that banner is more impressive than anything I could have dreamed for!

Totally Professional work DSJ

umm.. another awesome amusing note.. bookman's has offered us the use of their Bullhorn for getting the attention of people passing by on Grant Road :eek:

who has a natural ability for drawing attention with their voice

10. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Wow thats awesome we have got to send them a thank you note or something better. Id be happy to use it if the Vader mask really does have a voicechanger ;-)

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    better you than me.. my voice sounds like scratchy vinyl from the seventies. I can just hear Vader now "bills do not concern me..Tucsonians! I want your cash, not excuses"

12. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I will bring the shin gaurds...I'll have a purple fx saber to borrow if I can borrow a red one(Sith Lord and all...) I will be there at 11 to help set up and all (in civilian attire) and will change into Darth Nihilus from Knights Of The Old Republic 2. Its really cool. Buit yeah, the banners and iron trancsfers and the Troopers coming down is more than anyone could have hoped for. Kids are gonna love us. Parents are gonna love us. Star Wars fans are REALLY gonna love us. Free STAR WARS stuff for donatees, SW characters, helping out fellow Americans...this is what its all about.

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    All I can say is....word. I agree totally if only we had a few more days promotion, oh well thisis going to be awesome.

I just wanted to pass onmy security concerns. This is occurring in midtown, and the busiest sector in midtown. Everyone needs to keep an eye on everyone elses belongings. Trust your instincts. Don;t give a saber to someone who is not paying for a picture. Im not letting my vader out of hand (plus it goes with the costume) unless Darth Niihilus needs one for some of his pictures.
    The money jar is especially at risk. Cathie and I have figured out a way to anchor it to the table, but still be wary. And if something really does happen needing immediate law enforcement, I will have my radio (I probably wont tackle someone in my Vader suit unless their physical safety were in danger).

14. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    ...you can always force choke them before they get out the door..

I think with the few Storm Troopers around seemingly for security...thieves might be intimidated, and will not try anything...

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am out and about again.. I will check my messages as the day goes.. so if you need me call me and I will return your call.. but leave a number.. I won't have my computer phone book with me.

DSJ should I drop by best buy, office depot places like that in case we run out of photo paper or printer ink for photos.. I don't know what kind to ask for though.

also.. anything else you can think of other than the boxes.. or worldcare donation items.. or money.. I am asking people everywhere today for money for the jug.. and anything else we can think of..

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ya'll are going to have to tell me if this is a bad or good new idea I just got.. I sometimes get overzealous when I think of this stuff.

We should, if it goes as they have planned.. have some residents of LA arriving in Tucson to Live at TCC within the next few hours.. wonder what it would take.. and if it would be appropriate to contact someone and see if anyone of those people would be interested in coming to Bookman's at some point tomorrow.

another idea.. all of us dressed in costume or not...could go to TCC if there are kids there.. or adults that like star wars.. and give our support and take pictures for them..

I will say.. Levi Long at the Daily Star likes both ideas and says if I can put them together he knows they will have photographers there to capture the moment... he said they are probably sending a photographer to bookman's anyway to take a photo of us accepting donations.

I am thinking it would mean lots of donations.. as it would bring home that these people are going to be living in our own town for the next six months.. maybe longer..

You'll have to call me if you have an opinion.. as I am out the door now..

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay ya'll.. at 1:35pm today I will go on the radio with Andy Taylor for an interview about what we are doing. It will be talk radio.. The Jolt AM 1330. I have butterflies again..

also to report.. I have spoken with Red Cross officials.. they think our idea about entertaining the kids at TCC tomorrow is great HOWEVER.. the main board has to approve it.. we may not have word until as late as 9pm tonight.. but either way.. everything is looking good!!

Also.. if we can.. let's say a prayer for our group to be used to Glorify others! I just do not want us to lose sight in all the excitement about why we are doing this. That would mean a lot to me.

18. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey Cathie when are you going ont he radio? I want to try an dlisten if possible.

I already told Cathie but I have a huge box ready for donations. My mother is also coming to help take pictures. And how much do we want to charge for the pictures? Let me know so I can print up a sign. Im thinking 1 or 2 dollars. I will also have two digital camers there, both have disks which easily pop out and intot he printer which prints out standrard size photos in great quality. I already have extra paper and ink secured (donated by my folks).

Unfortunatly I noticed we were not int he paper as a donation site for some reason, I told Cathie and sh'e going to contact the Star again since we think its important we are in the Labor Day Star.

I realy hope that vader costume fits! I could stand to lose a couple around the midsection, but Ill girdle it if necessary!

If we do get to go to the TCC should we have anything to hand out? candy/pencils/toys, anything? I can swing by R Galaxy during work and see if they would donate anything (I doubt it though).

19. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey all, sorry I didn't get to getting a summary together. My allergies are making me dizzier than usual. 8-}

I'll be there tomorrow and in my Darth Leia outfit (going to the darkside made Leia fat so be good Jedis boys and girls :p)

If anyone needs me, PM me.

I'm going to talk Grammie Marnew into being there from at least 12-2 to do receipts.

20. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that's a kewl idea about seeing if we can get pencils and erasers or something like that.. funny.. these kids coming in are going to need school supplies as well.. I just finished with the radio broadcast Dustin. Did it at 1:35pm. You know we need to send a thank you to Andy Taylor.. he was so great during our ROTS party.. KLPX donated three soundtrack cd's.. I sent him a personal thank you.. but with this as well.. the interview and he will blurb for us tomorrow as well on air...

I also forgot that we might should have drinks available in little cups to serve people donating so I have been attempting today to drive around and get cups and kool-aid or sugar.. stuff like that.. problem is that so many places have their corporate headquarters on vacation because it is labor day weekend.. and won't be in office until tuesday.. so I am going to just go ahead and pick up a lot of kool-aid.. and sugar and buy some cups.. I'll keep asking for donations though.. and I am stopping every tom dick and harry I come across in town and telling them about the fundraiser..

also.. balloons on our car attennae's in the Bookman's parking lot will generate attention.. so I am getting balloons and string.. I'll ask first if they will donate it... or discount it at least.. also.. that way we might park our cars in relatively the same area hopefully.. hope and then maybe put balloons somewhere else outside as well.. too bad we don't have one of those giant air pump things to use.

I am sure there is more.. but at this point it may be too late to aquire anything else.. I am making a couple of extra posters tonight... cheap looking in comparison to the wonderful creations DSJ has created for us... but still.. just some extra posters in case someone can hold one and walk around outside.. or I can put a big poster on my car window and park it in front of bookman's.

I am home for about thirty more minutes .. then ya'll have to reach me on the cell

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    check this out ya'll.. I guess this came from some of the emails I sent out.. but I accidentally stumbled onto it while I was looking at the news on the cox.net site

star wars fundraiser

22. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Allright! It's ahppenein, I doubt the red cross is going to get back to Cathie in time, but hopefuly we can still go to the TCC. Cathie if you do hear from them make sure they notify the TPD security so no one draws down on a stormtrooper because hes holding a blaster.

Im picking up a ton of lightsticks or "mini lightsabers" to hand out to the kids. My mother is also going to ccome and help, and she knows how to operate the camer and printer so shes willing to write reciepts or just do photos.
    I cant wait this sounds so fun!

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    in the morning I will go back to the convention center.. if you want DSJ we can go together.. I am hoping with so much to do she just didn't get around to calling me one way or the other.. if we go and talk with them early on it might get us somewhere.. in any case.. I think even if they don't let us tomorrow they will let us in the days to come.. we just will have to convince DSG to come again.. eeekk.. but hopefully tomorrow is such a success they want to come back with even more troopers!!

Right now I am going downstairs to start making koolaid.. I will have to pull a shelf out of the fridge to accomodate the five gallon cooler.. but that is no problem..

and I know the feeling.. I am extremely excited.. looking forward to the news.. to see what they have to say about the new members of our community.

24. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    They called us geeks! :-B

OK, hopefully I've got my act together 8-} I'm turning on the news to see if folks have arrived at TCC.

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    so.. the reason we have not heard back is because we do not have anyone at the center yet.. who knows.. maybe by tomorrow some will be there.. in the meantime it will not stop us from collecting.. and who knows.. if the success is good enough.. perhaps we can convince DSG to come back at a later day and help us entertain the kids at the center. I won't give up home for tomorrow yet though.. they could show up and we could get a chance yet tomorrow.

as for everything else.. we are set pretty good.. I have the ability to serve 15 gallons of kool-aid.. we have twelve cases of water bottles.. some odd.. 1000 cookies... and guaranteed plugs on radio stations tomorrow.. and something in the paper for sure.. I think we are set.. I am going to try and get some sleep for a bit and then get up and start preparing costumes and the like around 5 or 6am.. DSJ be ready for that phone call around 7am. We are going to put ice in your chest at the Oracle and limberlost IHOP. and Hope we will fill yours and mine at the grant rosemont IHOP.. Jake will take them and get them filled.. unless you bring yours filled already.. I don't know yet if we will need more cups or not.. we have 200 right now.. and Jake is asking our manager at IHOP if we can have a few sleeves from there.. if not.. we will have to buy some sleeves.. hopefully they will be cheap cheap somewhere.. most likely walmart food center at grant and alvernon.

call me if anyone needs me.. or email.. once I sleep I will be up by 6:30 am at the latest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.