main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Han and Leia fans unite!!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jewlmc, Nov 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I know I read somewhere that people are sick of the unite threads but.... Ah well.

Ariel, all the others, here you go.

Let's discuss why we love Han and Leia so much. What makes them the best couple and what upsets us about their portrayal in *Ahem* other mediums.

What was it that made you love them? Were you a fan from the start? Were you a Luke and Leia potential fan that was converted? Did you want them together from ANH? Because let's face it, the sparks were flying then.

So come on!

What is your favorite scene? Other than the kiss. (that is too obvious)I will tell mine later.

2. ariel

ariel Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Here I am.

Why I love them? There've got the best chemistry I've seen in any movie and are the essence of undying love and devotion.

Favourite scene? Too many to count. Mostly in ESB. The scene where Leia falls in his lap is great. The kiss of course. Their kiss when he's unfrozen. Hmm..my ultimate favourite would have to be "I love you." "I know." Just like Han Solo.

3. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    The lap scene was going to be the one I chose.

"Captain being held by you.... Blah blah.."

Yeah sure whatevah!! I never wanted to change places with a fictional character more in my life.

The smile he gave her at the end of that scene would have killed me if I was looking directly at it like she was.

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The looks exchanged between them, when Han got frozen in carbonite!
    Also, the lap scene. :)

5. RANTING_JEDI

RANTING_JEDI Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    Yes, I'd chose the lap scene as well!
    Or the look on her face when they had to close the doors on Hoth, knowing that he was still out there.
    Or the look on his face on Endor when Luke comes back without Leia.

6. Jedi_Bratzilla

Jedi_Bratzilla Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2000
    Brat checking in!!!

Han and Leia have a chemistry and dynamic that make me yearn for the Hepburn/Tracey days! True romance, fired by the genuine love and passion of these two people.

Hmm... as for my favorite Han/Leia scene. Hell, ANY of them! I cannot ever get enough of watching these two in action. I saw the spark from ANH, and was thrilled that Lucas also "caught the vapors" and let these two hook up.

Han - tough, roguishly handsome, sharp witted, the embodiment of "heart of gold" under a protective gruff exterior. This man does not speak mere words of love - he SHOWS his lady that he cares in ways that truly matter. And he also cares deeply for Luke, like a protective older brother.

Leia - strong, beautiful, fiercely intelligent and independent, with an unyielding devotion to those she loves, even willing to lay down her life for them.

This, folks, is a REAL couple.

Now that I think of it - the scene in the Hoth ice cave in TESB has to me one of the most touching. He literally smothers her with his body to protect her. This loving arc culminates in ROTJ, when Leia was willing to risk it ALL to rescue the man she loves; and later, confused, Han was willing to set aside to allow Leia to have Luke if it made her happy. Gotta love those two!

Make no mistake, Leia reigns forever as the "true" queen of Star Wars - no substitutes exist nor ever will. And Han and Leia will always have a special place in my heart.

By the way, there is an absolutely WONDERFUL exposition on the Han/Leia dynamic available through Carolyn Golledge's Corellian Embassy site. If any of you would like the link, please let me know and I will gladly post it for you.

The Princess and the Nerfherder Forever!!!!

Regards,
    Brat.

7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Yay!! Great thread! Han and Leia are *the* couple. That's all I gotta say. Okay, well my favorite scene? Hmm....well I am a sucker for the "Sorry sweetheart, don't have time for anything else..." I'm with you on that one Jewlmc. What a *smile*. But my favorite is that final kiss before the carbonite, and the look that the two of them share. Talk about INTENSE. Great stuff.

I mean what does this say about this couple? Star Wars is predominantly an action/fantasy and yet their romance still manages to leap out at you.

Did you say we could bring up our displeasure with their portrayals in "other mediums". Well as I mentioned to Ariel in a PM, "Courtship.." has got to be the *single* worst disapointment in that area. Who else is with me? Han and Leia were both portrayed waaay out of character. Since when did Han become such a psycho wuss? And why is Leia suddenly so cavalier about dumping him? And why is she acting like the b**chy stuck up high school prom queen? What's the deal? I thought this novel did a great injustice to this couple, and is one of the reasons why I am so opposed to the EU being considered "canon".

Okay, I don't want to go on a rant again so I better stop right there.

Han and Leia of the movies rock though. :)

8. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm, have you noticed how most of the people who have posted here dislike the EU? I wonder if it's just a coinscidence...
    Here's a thread you guys can go to (it's a rant thread, so it can get kind of emotional just to warn you):
    http://pub30.ezboard.com/fsoulofthejedifrm12.showMessage?topicID=32.topic

Ah, let's not rant about EU here. I think I've done too much of that lately, and hate leads to the darkside. We can do that at the anti-EU message board.

How about we go through their scenes in the movies?
    Starting with ANH. Not much romance, but you can see the sparks fly from their meeting.
    I think Han saying, "Wonderful girl! Either I'm going to kill her, or I'm beginning to like her!" was the start of it all. Han's used to going after women, so naturally he puts the moves on Leia, and for once, a woman who meets him doesn't fall all over his charm and stroke his ego. I think that's what made him really like her. Leia seems more interested in Luke in ANH than she is in Han though.

Actually, there isn't a lot of indication they're going to get together later, because Luke and Leia were originally supposed to get together (read the ANH novelization....some of the scenes are pretty sick when you find out Luke and Leia are twins later). But you can still see the attraction between the two of them. The unavoidable chemistry was why Lucas changed it so that Han got the girl.

Add your opinions please!

9. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Well in ANH it was obvious that Luke and Leia were the ones that were instantly compatible. They were comfortable with eachother from the beginning. But it was the interactions between Han and Leia which really gave off sparks. To me it seems that Luke and Leia made *too* much sense and therefore it was ultimately decided that it would be much more interesting to pair her with Han. And it was undeniable that they had the better chemistry. IMHO

10. Ken_Benobi

Ken_Benobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2000
    Ariel:

"I love you." "I know"

Always brings a lump to my throat, that scene - marvellous. Romance is alive and kicking!

11. jewlmc

Oct 29, 1999
    Yanksfan, my stomach lurches everytime I hear mention of that ..uh... Book?? I think you hit the nail on the head about the Stuck up prom queen.

But enough about that!!! NEVER HAPPENED. :)

I like the Hoth thing too when he falls on top of her. But what I like even better is when he rushes to the command center. He doesn't even bother to hide his feelings.
    "Are you alright?"

"First I am going to get you to your ship."

and they way he looks at her when he says:

"Come on, THAT's it."

There has to be more people here who like them. Even if you aren't a HUGE fan you can contribute.

12. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    One of us should be responsible for upping this thread every day so it doesn't get buried and lost.

There are just so many scenes throughout the trilogy that show how much they loved each other. Not much in ANH of course, but in ESB and ROTJ. I'll make a list later and we can pick the best ones =)

I love that Hoth scene. Makes me think that he knew before he kissed her that he was in love with her. He went after Luke when he was lost because Luke was his best friend (something the EU books have convinently forgotten...) and Luke's always been there for him. But, if you think about the way Leia treated him, why would he risk his life to go after her? I mean, she was a grown woman and could deal with it herself, and she's been a total *censored* to him beforehand. The only explanation is that he loved her.

13. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    Ken Benobi (I like your name!)
    Those two lines have to be the BEST declaration of love in cinematic history. Heartbreaking and humorous all at once.

I love how Leia, the woman who's always h
    hidden her emotions deep down, just lets it out in front of everyone. And the look in Han's eyes when he says "I know." You know it means "I love you too."

14. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I've always liked H/L. I like the way they both broke down each others barriers -- Han being a rogue and a loner, and Leia always seeming so tough as nails and focused on the Rebellion completely. They both came a long way through the course of the trilogy...

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hello, I know there are probably gonna be ALOT of people in here talking about the Leia side, so I, as the biggest Han fan as you all know, will join.

Han and Leia are both alot like me, though I still have a personality leaning toward Han, since I can't control my temper at all :)

My favorite parts are when they are arguing :)

I am writing a fanfic... NO, it's not a 'love story' groooooooosssss.... but it does have Han and Leia, with Luke too....

So ariel, I've never seen you in here before... How do you do? I'm Han's biggest fan, yes yes and more yes...... My site Milleniumfalcon.org is opening up sometime before xmas, hopefully....

Oh, here's Han to say a word...
    Han: Oh, finally some people who really know what to talk about :) Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Jedis but it gets very annoying with everyone always going the force this, the force that..... time to talk about an EXTREMELY awesome and hansome guy and his... er.... nice wife....
    SJ: Yeah yeah, your time's up. Well, this is Solojones, First Mate of the Millenium Falcon, siging off.

_solojones

p.s. Chewie is the OTHER first mate, mind you... wouldn't want to upset him, you know how that goes... often, Han talks in my posts... I'm just that way... don't ask

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    YANKSFAN! Geee never thought I see YOU in here... lol... hey we miss you in the OT Recast, and my sets are lagging... please get back soon :)

Hey, I for one LIKE the EU, though of course some parts are objectable (there I go doing a Bush and making up words :) Bush is awesome, though... but let's NOT start....

Strategery... Lockbox... lol, SNL

17. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    But solojones..I thought *I* was first mate....oh wait, that was first mate of Han's FANS...nevermind.:) I'll check by the OT recast later tonight and see if I can contribute......

Oh, and I'm looking foward to that Han and Leia scene list :)

18. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    Hello there all...

I'm a pretty huge H/L fan, and I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I practically jumped at my computer when I saw it the other day. :) I have this crazy Star Wars radar that like activates when I see their names... It can be quite scary at times. ;)

So let me add to the favorite Han and Leia scene... I like all them. :) Every last one. :) But if I had to choose I would have to choose what is also my favorite scene in the whole trilogy. When poor Han get's put on ice. Specifically when they get pulled apart during their kiss. That one close up shot of him as he's pulled away from her... I love the expression on his face there. That would have to be my favorite and best scene of theirs... I wouldn't have a poster and two 8x10's from that scene on my walls if it wasn't I guess. :)

You guys don't even wanna know how many of the Han Solo and Princess Leia edition film cels I have. :)

And great idea about trying to keep this thread up top. :)

19. Hunter Of Winds

Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling star 5

Dec 5, 1999
    One of my favorite Han and Leia scenes is the one where her hands are dirty.

20. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    His hands were dirty too. ;)
    (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

21. Yanksfan

Nov 3, 2000
    Boush-where did you get those pictures???? That's my favorite scene too. Aww yeah! It's perfection. Of course, I love EVERYTHING about that scene. The lighting...the smoke billowing to reveal Vader's mask...ahhh it's great. Of course the Han and Leia drama is the best part of all.

ANOTHER GREAT SCENE...it's ROTJ. THey are outside the sheild generator. Leia has just been shot and a stormtrooper has got their blaster trained on them. Leia' pulls out her gun. LOVE IT!

22. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    In ANH they were so argumentive like two kids in elementary school.

In ESB they denied their truel feelings for a time then... well, we know what happened.

In ROTJ As a couple Leia and Han were more solidified.

Count me in on this. Han & Leia as a couple are cool.

23. boushh2187

Jul 16, 1999
    Yanksfan: Yeah that scene is just awesome, it's practically perfect. I also love when Han is trying to calm Chewie and Leia looks over at Vader and starts to back away towards Han and Chewie during their "you have to take care of her" exchange. Awesome. :)

As for the pictures... I got the poster from a Star Wars convention a couple of years ago. It's of the two of them looking at each other, and she's got her hand on his arm. It's a full body shot, and the reverse angle of the CU shot of them looking at each other while Vader and Fett are having their conversation in the distance. I think it was a poster that was offered by Frito Lay or something in 1980. I walked into the convention and it was the first thing I saw.. I like ran over there and all my friends were like "I guess she's gonna buy that."

The pictures are autographed and I bought those. One is of the kiss, and one is of Han as he's being lowered into the pit, a CU shot of him looking at her. I also have others that I have in a binder and not on display. Those aren't signed but are really neat, because most are shots that never made it into the movie... probably reverse angles or alternate takes etc. If you are really interested I could scan them in so you could take a look. I'm always meaning to go to one of those sites like the Han and Leia shrine and offer the pics for their collection...

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I like to look at Leia's tough side... besides being in love with Han, she still is tough and not just this little retarded prissy girl... I hate that!

Han is, of course, not the most sensative guy around... I can identify... but anyway

I truely believe that Luke is pretty whiny, and while he may be the intended Hero, HAN IS THE REAL HERO!

Han's the man... and Leia is the Woman

25. ariel

Nov 28, 2000
    I have an idea - let's start with the scenes that showed their love and devotion to each other and pass it on, going in order of the movies.

ANH - none, since they just meant, and it wasn't exactly a "love at first sight" thing. Definitly an interest though. I guess we can start with their attraction to each other.

1) Their meeting. Not much warmth there, but sparks fly.

2) First point of interest. Han says he's either going to kill her or he's beginning to like her.

next?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.