main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala Handmaiden Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by HandmaidenEirtae, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
  2. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Whoa! That is a GREAT picture, SP!

(Is it just me, or does Rose Byrne look much older in still shots than she does in motion? I've noticed this bizarre phenomenon a few times...)

In any case -- really interesting pattern on her overvest... and it looks as though the center bodice on it has some interesting piecing, or trim to create the pieced effect ... interesting...

-sg

3. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Now that I think about it Rose Byrne does look much older in stills than she does in motion. Good call sg. This costume does look rather interesting. Maybe we'll be lucky and get to see more of it on the DVD :)

4. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I have thought all along that Rose Byrne looked older in general than any other handmaidens we have seen thus far, and older than Padme-in all of the stills I have seen, she looks to be about 30!

5. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    StormtrooperPrincess, you got some of us hammering our heads agaist the wall cause that shot had been appearing in a number of magazines/books before AOTC was released although not that clear. :p Thanks for the head up! :)

6. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    The shot shown of Dormé with her hood up is the same one she's wearing when Ani and Amidala reunite, only her hood is down. You can see the hood from behind as she walks up behind Natalie when they greet the Jedi...only, we don't see the hood up! My guess is that the hood was worn up for the deleted Senate appearance scene, then taken down once inside the apartments/less formal settings.
    Later, it appears that Dormé has removed the outer hooded part of the robe and is only wearing the dress with the gathers.

:~)

7. Padawan_Willow02

Padawan_Willow02 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 31, 2002
    I know this is kinda a strange and slightly old request but Sabè has always been my most favorite handmaiden and I think my favorite out fit that she wears is the Royal Battle garb...I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make the costume so I could have it for holloween this year.

8. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    You can use floral foam cut into the right shapes for the part of the headpice covered with hair, and you can get cheap loose fake hair at Sally beauty supply-you should be able to get all you need for under $15.
    Since you will be needing "Amidala" makeup-use Ben Nye cake makeup in ivory-the white is too harsh and will make your eyes look red. Apply it with a damp sea sponge ans smooth it out. Using clown makeup or white regular makeup will not hold up, adn I saw plenty of chalky yucky makeup at CII. I used Ben Nye and it stayed smooth and unstreaky all day. Finish it with Ben Nye loose powder, and when choosing red for your lips and the dots, use a very dark red, not a true bright red for the right effect.
    For the fabrics-a lot of them are heavier and out of season right now-so you could find a lot of great deals on the right ones!
    Good luck!
    QS

9. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Oh, definitely use synthetic leather or the vinyl-y (not really, vinyl, I forget what it's called!) type fabrics...they are thinner, less expensive, and easier to work with.

Another good option on the hair is the fake ponytails they sell at Target.

:~)

10. KEDA

KEDA Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2002
    [image=http://www.tolkasworld.com/Starwars/EP1/Zofen/handmaiden12.gif]
    ok i would like to mack this handmaiden costume but i need alot of help...could you help me...

11. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Thought you all would like to know that the lastest issue of SW Insider has two seperate articles on both Dorme and Corde with some great pics for reference.

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Yes, GREAT pics in the new Insider -- Dorme's dress has some beautiful tailoring, including some very cool pocket detailing.

-sg

13. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    KEDA, that gown you're interested in is the inner gown for the Maroon Cape. Think a kinda of 2-tone Thai Silk or fabric of similar kind but cheaper will do for the hood. I can't say much about the gown itself but I think someone had mentioned about it a few pages ago in this thread. :p

Wooo! :eek: The latest Insider got Great pixs of the new Handmaids? Really can't wait to see them (anyone interested in scanning some? :D ). Pity I still have to wait 3 weeks to get hold of it here. :(

14. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    When you look at Dorme's gown in the Insider-it really echoes Padme's purple senate gown-the lines, the collar, the dark cloak with lighter piped trim...this are the most similar handmaiden/Padme combo I have seen as of yet.

15. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2002
    KEDA, there is this one:

http://www.mccall.com/renai/2810/2810a.htm

16. KEDA

Jun 20, 2002
    thank you ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

17. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

May 11, 2002
    Does it look like it or what?? ;) :)

18. KEDA

Jun 20, 2002
    if i chang it a little yes it does...
    like mack the opening(s) at the sides not the front
    edit *spelling

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, why is my "favourite" Cape Pattern keep popping up? :D I used the Cape Pattern for my Royal Guard Outer Robe (with Modification, of Course!) and gonna use it for my Anime Cape too. Maybe will also use it to make my Anakin-Like Cape too.

20. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

May 11, 2002
    U used this pattern before??

21. KEDA

Jun 20, 2002
    is it any easy pattern to work with?

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    McCall's 2810; yes.

It's a not so hard pattern for a cape with arm slit IF you follow the instructions, make the appropiate markings or cut appropiately and do is at a go.

But for a normal cape, I don't recommand it for a newbies or one who not so good at sewing yet. It has 10 pieces to cut, 9 if the back panel is cut as 1 piece instead of 2. And if I'm not mistaken, you have to add in the seam allowance to the pattern, unlike another cape pattern I used where the seam allowance is already included into the pattern cut out. And the hood must be made bigger >1.5x height wise to give the whole cape that large hood.

But I doubt you can use this pattern entirely for this Handmaid Costume.

For the Lilac Costume, the hood seems to be on its own with 1-2 long strips of cloth to both side (I think the hood is like a neck scarve; the hood part is placed on the head and the 2 long sides are flipped to the back to close the front of the hood under the neck). The 2 strips will later stick out of the Maroon Cape if I'm not mistaken. ?[face_plain]

The gown itself seems to be 2 layers: the Dark Blue outer coat with openings at the sides (like Mon Mothma's Gown?) and Inner Dull Lighter Blue which may be a fitted loose gown itself. Notice that the coat has some kind of curvy cut from under the waist onwards. The also seems to be some kind of foldings near the back or below the sleeves.

I sense the coat is a t-shape pull over coat with the sleeves top not sew; just above the shoulder and under the arm pit areas are sew this giving the "foldings" under the arm pit. The "Sleeves" itself may had been cut not in the straight line, think like the sleeves of Simplicity 8192-C.

Just my 0.02! Take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

So what does the costuming experts (SC maybe?) have to say about this costume?

23. KEDA

Jun 20, 2002
    Thank you for you words of wistom Master Darth_Eagle

24. ObI-WaN-JeDi-GuRl

May 11, 2002
  25. Master_Domtis

Master_Domtis Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    alright,
    so far I've expeimented with nothing but simpler costumes....(jedi/sith etc). I have experience with dyeing and hand stiching as well as embordery.
    I'd like to start something more complicated than what I've been doing so far and decided to make a handmaiden's dress. Which would you say is the simplest to make just to get my foot in the world of dress making? Any tips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.