main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    I think it is a cool idea.

The school uniforms are usually going to be put together I am sure, but a number of costumes can be made.

2. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    The link to my Professor McGonagall tutorial is one of the few professor tutorials on MM. I get about a request per month for it.

3. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    That's great! =D= It just show how good your costume is and hence the tutorial too. ;)

4. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Thanks.

5. Jedi-Siri

Jedi-Siri Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2004
    I have a costume card of Harry's robe from POA. I've had a robe made and I was very happy to find that my robe feels very very, if not the same to the costume card.

BTW, where are you planning on seeing OotP?

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I can't wait to see what style of uniform was worn for James, Sirius, Lily etc etc Era; will it be like the ones worn in PoA/GoF/OotP or like SS/CoS or totally different. They used the same costume for Myrtle in GoF so maybe they will recycle the uniform from SS/CoS for James etc to cut cost. :p

Currently, for my friends who want to do James they all, I told them to go for the Design of the Hogwarts School Uniform seen in SS/CoS as it's nearer to 1970s than to Myrtle/Tom Riddle era uniform in 1942.

7. rubberduck524

rubberduck524 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2007
    Does anybody know a good pattern to use for the Beaubaxtons uniform? I don't really know how to draft a pattern yet, so an existing one that I could just alter some would be useful. This will be my first time actually making a costume from the movie so it will be exciting! I'm hoping to get to get it done in time for the movie, so that way I can use it both for the book and movie releases! I'd previously went with my friends Harry and they went as Ron and the Whomping Willow, we got some interesting looks!:)

8. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    A bit ago a photo was released of Snape during Snape's worst memory. It was a distance shot but from the looks of it Snape was wearing the older style uniforms.

9. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    You mean this one posted at Mugglenet?

[image=http://www.harrymedia.com/img/data/media/197/paninisnape.jpg]

I did a Costume Analysis of it here but some are still just speculation:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/Harry_Potter/References/young_marauders_study01.jpg]

Rubberduck524, I had my Beauxbatons Uniform tailored (and unfortunately that was back in early last year so the design of the Coat is kinda off :_| ). But I will try to take a look at the patterns the next time I drop by Spotlight here to see which one are possibility. ;)

10. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Actually it wasn't that one, but the one I had really sucked. It was from last year. Great anaylsis of the costume btw.

Is there anyone that lives in the Carolinas that does HP costuming?

11. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello all, I am here because, like many of you, I believe there should be an orginized HP costuming group, much like the 501st, or the Rebel Legion.

I personally have the HP school uniform (the one whith the robes), and I am working on my HP costume from POA.

Is anyone else intrested in starting a HP costuming site/organiztion? We could call it 'Dumbledore's Army' or something like that. Suggestions anyone?

12. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I completely agree with you, as you already know lol. I've proposed this idea to many HP costumers and I am finding that a good majority do not think it will happen and believe I'll be sued by the WB. Their attitudes (some have been really really rude) towards me and this idea have made me even more determined to get the site off the ground, so I can prove them wrong.

I will be trying to get ahold of the WB to see if I can get their blessing in making the site but I'm having trouble finding an e-mail or phone number so I can get in contact. My father is in television and he told me the only way I might get in contact is to go ahead and make the site and if I get an e-mail to stop, start talking to them then.

Anyway, I like that name. I was going to name it 'Order of the Phoenix', or something like that. And like the 501st and RL I was going to divide it up into catagories like Student, Adult, Muggle and then subcategories like Student Uniform, Student Dress robe, ect.

13. Jedi_Kai

May 27, 2001
    Google is your friend.... http://wbsf.warnerbros.com/home.html click on "contact us"

Phone:
    Fax:
    E-mail:
    wbsf@warnerbros.com
    Hours:
    M-F, 9A to 6P PST
    Address:
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, CA 91522

I'd recommend working the phones. I'd recommend against waiting until they want to shut you down because you'd start from a postion of being on their bad side. They'd probably try to say, "why didn't you contact us....it's on the web".

If you get the run around, and you probably will, at first, keep a notebook with a log of every contact, name, number and what they say.

14. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    Thank you so much for the contact info! I'm going to start calling tomorrow. :)

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    My 0.02 on this issue

You can try to win their favour by "offering" to volunteer for local Harry Potter Events in costumes; maybe DH Book release or OotP Premiere at your local Bookstores or Cinemas or even library. And Volunteer in the sense that you don't get paid in cash, probably in exchange for free Movie tickets or free book voucher or goodies etc.

Maybe that way, WB can see that you mean good and not to gain any profit or something so may in directly give their (secret) approval towards the existance of the group. In the beginning, you may end up as "free labour" but the end result may be beneficial when they give their "Chop of Approval" towards the fan group. ;) You can also try contacting your local WB for some infos on this issue, guess best to speak with the PR or even Rep?

Ya, if the group is formed, I'll join it ASAP :cool: as politically, my HP Costumes are ready; just need to upgrade certain parts to be more accurate or make even more new HP Costumes for myself and friends. The only problem with me, I seems to have problems with my time management and priorities in life so can't exactly handle too many admin work especially online. [face_blush]

16. Lady_Eirtae

Lady_Eirtae Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 16, 2005
    And why they don't really need publicity, it could help them too.

Hopefully they'll be fine with it.

17. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    My thoughts exactly. I have to say, y'all are alot open minded then the group I presented this idea to a few days ago. I got chewed out for even dreaming of a site as this. I mean I understand their points, but the way they handled it was very rude, in my opinion.

I will be trying to get ahold of the WB. I've already sent e-mails but haven't gotten an answer so I'm going to call.

18. Calvinthejedi

Calvinthejedi Jedi Master star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    If you need any help, let me know. :)

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I guess it's mainly because many of us here know of 501st, Rebel Legion etc etc and are familiar with their work and some even their history (apart from how these groups "bend" the rules"). Yes, we are more open as we are mainly Costumers and from my own experiences locally, are more well-received by the public than pure cosplayers who does make up a good amount over at that LJ Communities, apart from we tend to get more involved in Public Events & Charity Works in our Costumes/Armors.

Anyhow, IMHO, one reason why you are getting chewed there is due to the way you present your proposal. Maybe you should had just say about "starting a central website cum group that can allow members to display their Harry Potter Costumes or Props, and get in touch with other HP Costumers/Cosplayers in their area for the latest Harry Potter Event". And the Font, errr.....did you intended it to be that small. :confused:

20. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    No, I don't know why It became that small. I tried fixing it but it wouldn't work. I guess, honestly, I was just surprised at people's reaction. The reason I wanted to start something like that is because I was trying to get a group together for a charity event for ootp, but couldn't find anyone. That is when I thought, why doesn't HP have a group like RL/501st? So I asked around at different sites to see if there was local cosplayers and recieved no answers really.

I didn't think I presented the idea in a rude way, but perhaps I did. Maybe I should have started it off light, but I already had a clear idea in my head of what the group would be. I am also a writer so its difficult for me just to write one paragraph when I am passionate about something.

21. Jedi_Nausicaa

Jedi_Nausicaa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2005
    Hey everyone,

Here's a photo of my Myrtle costume from last year. Most of it was put together from things I found at goodwill, but I made the vest and the patch. For the patch, I used fabric that can go through an inkjet printer; that's a fairly simple option for people looking to make their own patches, although it won't look as nice as an embroidered one. All of the costume is in grey tones to create the "ghost" effect"

[image=http://photos-668.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v45/34/5/429622/n429622_31808668_7747.jpg]

Anyway, for the release of book 7 I was planning on dressing as Bellatrix, but I don't want to copy the movie's costume. Do any of you have any ideas? Also, my hair is already black, but it's short like a bob, and I was thinking of experimenting with hair extensions for the costume, do you think I would need to?

22. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Interesting looking version of Moaning Myrtle you got there Jedi_Nausicaa! ;)

I'm still working :oops: on my Moaning Myrtle (before or just after she died version) Costume and maybe one of these days I'll post my pictures here too.

So anyone else here had start working on your costume for the next book or movie release?

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, this is a bit late. :p

My Sweater and Scarf had arrive last Fri, 2-3 weeks earlier than the requested date (OotP Movie) and they are worth every penny I paid for them [face_dancing]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/Harry_Potter/Sweater/Wizardknits/26hobbies_sweater.jpg] [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/Harry_Potter/Sweater/Wizardknits/61shirt_sweater.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/Harry_Potter/Sweater/Wizardknits/41hobbies_scarf.jpg]

Now only to get my Skirts (2-Kick Pleats Skirt & A-Line Center Pleat Skirt) done and pay my friend for my Alivan's Wand and I'm all ready for the OotP Premiere in Singapore. :D

How about rest, what's your Harry Potter Costume Progress?

24. Jedi-Siri

May 22, 2004
    I love your sweater. Where did you buy it from?

I am close to finishing. I got my new tie from Wizard Ties last week and it is beautiful, just perfect. Now all I have to do is sew on Gryffindor stripes onto my cardigan. I'm also thinking about making a skirt. I have a black one, which looks dark gray cause its old, that I pleated myself but I'm not completely happy with. I might remake it. Other than that my costume is ready to go! :)

25. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    I got it from Wizardknits ;)

Ya, kinda cost a bomb but was worth it, especially that I'm spending the most on my Slytherin Outfit (rest come and go whenever I find the part at bargain price) to make it as accurate as possible as I'll probably wear it the most too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.