main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have you seen AOTC in a digital theater?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by kreleia, May 31, 2002.

?

Have you seen AOTC in a digital theater?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes, at least once.

49.3%
  2. Not yet, but I plan to.

6.1%
  3. No, I have not.

9.5%
  4. I'd like to, but there are no digital theaters in my area.

31.8%
  5. Say what??

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
  2. _Padme_

_Padme_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2002
    I'd like to, but unfortunately, there are no digital theaters in my area :( :_|

3. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    I saw it in Dallas the weekend it opened. And I saw it again today on the biggest screen in Texas.

4. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    I've seen it 4 times, but only once in digital. The difference was obvious to me. It seemed a lot clearer. Maybe the prints on the regular screens were just bad, or something, but it made a big difference in my book. :)

kreleia ^.^

5. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i've seen it 3 times so far, but not in a digital theater... there isn't one near my home town :(

6. Master-Jedi-Smith

Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I saw it again today for the 7th time. I believe it was digital (the movie theatre, I mean theater, said Lucusfilms appoved.)

If it was, I really could tell the difference! A much clearer picture than the last 6 viewings. (I was to lazy to ask if it was digital or not.)

Anyways, it was great again!

(Oh, and hi again Kerr Plunck. Seriously, I don't mean to follow you! :D)

7. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Yes, I have. And it ruled.

Amazing.

8. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    The Midwest got screwed royally when it comes to digital theaters.

9. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Yes, I saw it digitally today. It was great! :D

10. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I haven't. I doubt I will either. Denver's not very far away, but I don't plan on going up to Denver for quite some time.

greg: where you at in the midwest? KC has a DLP, I know that much.

11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    No - there isn't one within my area (unfortunately).

12. Draith_Starborne

Draith_Starborne Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    YES! twice even! and it ruled, and i will never watch it on film again.

13. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I live in eastern South Dakota. Just a couple of hours from Omaha and the Twin Cities, both of which should, but do not have, digital theaters.

14. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    there arent any digital theaters in my area. my friend and i plan to go up to san francisco to see it there.

15. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    LEZ GO!!!!!!

16. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Unfortunately, no. I live in Lincoln, NE, and you would think Omaha would have one, but no... And I don't feel like driving to Kansas City to see a movie... :mad:

17. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Roger Deakins (5 time Academy Award Nominated DP)in the May issue of Millimeter Magazine brought up some interesting points about DLP. He stressed that the same degrading principles that occur in film projection can occur digitally as well.

Deakins: "How do we know each projection system will be maintained to give the optimal image once they eventually become commonplace? I saw a demo recently where there were droput specks appearing on the screen, created because the projector got tainted somehow, either by a tech flaw or dirt or something else getting into the system. There were color artifacts all over the screen. So the idea that digital projections will always be pristine isn't realistic. Any projection system over time will produce artifact of one type or another. So, what's the difference between a film artifact and a digital artifact? Either way, the orginal image is altered."

Sounds a bit negative, but I did notice the same things happening (albeit rarely) as I watched AOTC digitally here in Phoenix. All in all though, I think it's a great new way to move theatrical releases into the 21st Century and you have a higher chance of seeing a better picture the way it was meant to be seen. Let's face it. You KNOW film will break down almost immediatly, but a DLP version, if cared for properly, will last a heck of a lot longer and won't get hacked to bits by untrained (and uncaring) Theater staff

18. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    I've seen it 8 times, 6 of which were digital. It looks so much better digitally that there is almost no comparison.

19. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I saw it in digital Sunday while I was in Dallas. The difference is obvious and it is far superior to traditional film. I am planning on going back up there soon to see it again. We need a digital screen in Houston. We are bigger than Dallas.

20. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    I have yet to see Attack of the Clones in a non-digital theater. And I don't intend to see it non-digitally either.

21. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Yes, I did. It was a really cool experience. I would recommend it to those who have one near by (I know there are under 30 in the US, but still it is awesome on a digital screen). :)

22. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    i hope to soon

23. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    Just did. What a difference!

*SB*

24. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I saw it once in a digital theatre and there really is no other way to see this film. It was so amazing!

25. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I haven't yet, but I really need to. We are going to Chicago around July 3, so I plan to see it then. The catch is they probably won't have it anymore, so I'm woried I won't get to see it digitally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.