main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

'Helpy Helpers'

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Porkins in a Speedo, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The thing that bugs me about the Helpy Helpers is that after they've helped or tried to help (which in and of itself is not a problem) is that they continue to post, very often completely off-topic in a manner much better suited for the JCC. They also tend to post in every Comms thread, even if they have nothing to add. I don't think we can ask people to stop helping, nor would I want to, but if they would just limit their posting to actual helpfulness rather than idle chitchat, this wouldn't be an issue.

Amazing.

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I am sorry for my late response to Genghis12 's reply, yet this discussion has moved very quick. If it is to my understanding, I believe that is why Comms. is here, to help others with these coming problems. If this was not the reason, then wouldn't the Mod & Administrators have hidden this board from others sites and had it only there for Mods? I highly doubt this to be the case.

3. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Stridarious, the point isn't about helping people, it's about being overly helpful.

There's a difference in being truly helpful to someone, and showing off your helpfulness and ability to link to stuff.

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

They already have a hiddden forum - it's called the ModSquad. And oh boy, do I hope they're using it in this case.

5. GabeC

GabeC Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 28, 2000
    Define Irony

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    There is really nothing to be gained from this discussion. You cannot stop someone being very friendly and helpful to the rest of the members here even if you find it pathetic or over the top. I prefer links and advice rather than people posting strange topics that are more about idolising and making themselves seem important with images as some posts often. This also includes drama that isn't important and blown out of proportions. I am not referring to anyone.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Stridarious, your understanding of the intent of Comms to handle "Your questions, comments, and suggestions relating to the Jedi Council and TheForce.net," is correct.

However, as the Communications forum is so important to the administration of the Jedi Council and as Kadue has stated quite clearly:
      "As this is the primary place for wide-ranging discussion on board issues, creating an atmosphere that is most conducive to everyone being able to participate in discussions, and have them productive, is of importance to us."
    Therefore, if something is driving users away from Comms, then it also needs to be recognized that whatever it is may possibly be counter-productive to the goals of Comms and is worth looking into.

And it could also be that the people being driven away are being hyper-sensitive about a non-issue and there's no reasonable action the administration can take. Or then again, they may have a valid arguement.

8. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

Let me pose a purely hypothetical situation.

I'm a fresh-faced, innocent newbie, and I come to the JC with dreams of discussing Star Wars. But then I see the mods, with their colours and powers and such, and I decide I want that. So I go to Communications, and ask the most under-asked Comms question of all time: "How do I become a mod?"

A truly helpful person will post a link to the Comms FAQ, or say "You need to do do this and that, etc etc etc." This is good! Helpful is good!

But the so-called "Helpy Helpers" will say something like this: "I don't know exactly how you become a mod, but this is a very good question, so I'll think about it. :) "

That isn't good.

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    GriffZ -- I agree with you 100%. But the second situation isn't a violation of the TOS either, so I'm not sure what can be done about it...

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    GriffZ just nailed it.

I guess a Comms post should accomplish one of two things:
    (1) actively contribute to the discussion with something other than a short, unfocused statement of opinion
    (2) mock Sapient's colors.

On a side note, I remember a time that Gandolf joked that the way to become a mod was to post in Comms a lot agreeing with the administration... and someone actually came in and replied to a bunch of threads with "I agree with the administration" [face_laugh]

dp4m--
    Can't you just change the individual forum rules rather than the TOS? This would be a Comms issue, not a TOS issue.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The tears I cry today could flood an ocean.

12. Yoda_yo_mama

Yoda_yo_mama Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 18, 2002
    You have silly colors. [face_laugh]

13. GriffZ

May 27, 2001

I agree with Sapient on this issue.

And dp - you guys are mods. Rewrite the Comms guidlines to say something like, "Repeatedly posting nothing of value will result in a warning; continuing behaviour will result in a ban."

You know, something classly like that.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Can't you just change the individual forum rules rather than the TOS? This would be a Comms issue, not a TOS issue.

I suppose in the sense of not asking people to post "good job" type of response to the MS Updates we could limit "helpy helpering" -- but we don't ban for the former, so I dunno how enforcable the latter would be...

15. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    DarthSapient
    The tears I cry today could flood an ocean.

AdamBertocci , I agree with the Administration!!!

Hehe. ;)

16. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I believe I've finally gotten to the bottom of this and understand what's being said. I assure you I am addressing this privately and in Mod Squad. Thank you. :)

17. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    if i may reiterate the real issue, because some people either weren't paying attention or are confused...

it's very annoying when a regular member in comms acts as if you are asking them personally for a response on behalf of the administration. there's a difference between giving your opinion and acting like you are a part of the administration. and we don't need regular members saying things like "i'll look into it" or "thank you for bringing this to my attention".

it's also very annoying when people just post ass-kissing nonsense and don't really add anything the discussion. why aren't the 'spam' officials attacking this action? as far as i'm concerned, those types of posts are just as much 'spam' as posting 'OMGLOROOFLEOTFLMAOLOLO'. now, i don't mean to say that people shouldn't be allowed to compliment the administration, but a lot of times people will post blind devotion and praise without even really thinking about what the issue is. it's obvious in their posts, at times, that they don't really know what the issue is and it just seems like someone pulled their string.

it's not about posting links or agreeing with the administration in general. common courtesy and reasonable/productive helpfulness is not the problem.

EDITS: typos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.