main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Here We Go, Steelers, Here We Go

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm concerned too. A lot of people think that this'll be an easy Steelers victory. I'm not so sure about that.

Man, I'm sorry that you have to work then. That stinks. :(

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm not too worried. The Broncos have a good defense other than that they suck pretty bad. Tebow being 10 for 20 passing will not cut it on the Steelers. The only way they lose this week is if the offense doesn't show up at all. Which I guess it could with Ben still being hurt.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    By the way, I'd like to point out how spoiled we are by the Steelers. yes, the loss stinks, and it stings right now, but consider this:

in this "disappointing" year, they went 12-4 and lost in the playoffs. Yup, that's disappointment.

In addition, consider the Roethlisberger era:

2 Super Bowl Titles
    1 AFC Title with Super Bowl Loss
    1 AFC Title Game Loss
    2 First round playoff exits
    2 playoff misses (8-8 seasons)

I've literally got dozens of friends who would literally give one of their testicles to have their NFL team have an 8-year run like that.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's true, we've been spoiled over the past 8 years.

But last night was the end of part of that era.

There's got to be some key personnel changes in the offseason. The defense needs to get much younger, especially at D-line and secondary.

5. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I don't think its an end of an era (for the team) at all. Its not a disaster or like the Colts and the Peyton issue where a team goes from 10-12 wins to 2. There are definitely some older players that will either be gone of have reduced roles (perhaps even cut then resigned at lower price), but I don't see massive changes. Its an end for some players, but the current team is actually in good shape for the next few years.

The D line is going to get younger just by having Ziggy Hood and Heyward playing (starting???) more. I think the Steelers knew they were getting older which is why they drafted these two guys high the past two years. Woodley and Timmons are still in their prime. Worilds got some significant playing time too with the Harrison injury and suspension as well as Woodley not being healthy for the second half of the season.

The great news is the Offense is set. Ben still has 5-6 years of prime football left (just going by age) they are set at WR. RB doesn't apear to be an issue. Mendenhall is good, but typically the Steelers can always find an RB when/if they need one. Not sure when Miller's contract is up, but I think they'd be able to keep him around at a reasonable price considering he doesn't put up Graham and Gronk numbers.

They have the same holes they had last year and the year before that, Secondary and O-line. They've drafted Pouncey and Gilbert (who did decent this year for a rookie), so I'm assuming they go CB in Rd 1 and more O-line help in Rd 2 of the draft.

Last night was one terrible loss to a bad team. It happens. I was mad about it because despite there issues it was a winnable game. So frustrating. The good news is the Saints seem to be fine this year after an equally embarassing loss to the Seahawks last year and the Pats heard the same stuff with there recent playoff losses and they have the top seed.

Its just really tough to get to the superbowl in back to back years (whether you won or lost the previous year).

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    No, you're right, the "window of opportunity" is still there, but there are a lot of serious questions to be asked about the mid- to long-range future of the team. In his column for the Trib, Kovacevic suggests doing something similar to what Baltimore did. I think that there's some serious consideration to be had there.

Yes, New Orleans has bounced back from a bad loss in the playoffs. It's entirely possible that the Steelers will to; they just have to address the reality that's facing the team.

7. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    What did Balt do? Do you have a link to the article?
    I'm in Chicago so I'm not familar with the writer/paper.

Without reading the article (not sure if it is in there), I think you have to talk about the Lockout for this year. Perhaps some harder decisions would have been made if they had a full summer to evaluate.
    It certainly wasn't a bad year (or plan) to try and ride out some of the superbowl players for one more year.

Clearly they have to make some changes. But I don't think there needs to be deep wholesale organizational changes if thats what was suggested.

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Here's the column. Kovacevic is one of the top local sports writers.

Nothing whole sale, just realizing that age is a significant problem at certain positions.

9. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    Yeah, that all makes sense.

On the bright side, if they never upgrade/fix the D they could still be okay since the future of the NFL appears to be awesome offenses with NO Def at all! (See GB, NO, NE) Lol!

10. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Ouch.

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Yeah I really called it there huh. 10/21 was his final tally. I mean no one could have seen that half of his passes were 30 yards or more.

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Mark Madden(yeah I know) is asking the question should the Steelers cut James Harrison? The Steelers are roughly 20 million over the cap for next year and there will be a bunch of tough moves going into next year. Hines Ward being the toughest I'm sure. I'd say no to cutting Harrison but I would definitely try to restructure his deal.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Mark Madden. :rolleyes:

There are definitely some really tough calls to be made. It'd be great if Harrison would restructure his deal. That'd certainly help some.

14. JediCouncilMember

Jul 15, 2003
    No I wouldn't cut Harrison, he's still a producive player. I think he had 9 sacks in 11 games and still needs to be accounted for by offenses. What hurt more was Woodley and Harrison were rarely healthy at the same time this year. I'm not sure what he is due in 2012, but I saw a list and they can get under the cap by cutting/restructuring some more obvious players first:

Hampton - 4.8 mil
    Hines - 4 mil
    Kemoeatu - 3.5 mil
    Foote - 3 mil
    Farrior - 2.8 mil
    McFadden - 2.5 mil
    You also have to consider Aaron Smith. Not sure what he is set to make in '12.
    I'm sure there are others you can trim from as well if needed.

If they could restructure Harrison that would be great of course, just not sure he's on the top of the list of players to start with. Hopefully they do restructure a few, I'd like to see Hines back as a 4-5 WR.

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Smith has said he wants to come back but I don't think the Steelers can take that chance as for the rest of the list...

I see Hampton gone or taking a huge pay cut to play backup. Time for the d-line to be Ziggy Hood, Steve McLendon and Cameron Heyward. They need to get younger. Hines Ward needs to retire, this season really showed he has nothing left in the tank. Kemoeatu again huge pay cut or gone. Hopefully Essex or someone else will finally step up. I think Foote will be back as a backup if he doesn't retire and Farrior is done here. McFadden will probably be gone too at that price for a backup.

16. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Aaron Smith was a great Steeler for a long time, but I think that he's done with the team. I definitely want Kemoeatu gone, even without salary cap issues. I like Hampton in a limited role, same with either Foote or Farrior, but probably not all three.

Personally, I want Ward to be back for one last hurrah. Even if his numbers aren't great, he can be a strong asset in the locker room.

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have a bad feeling we're going to see Hines Ward in a jersey other than the Steelers' next year. And it's going to suck.

18. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I really hope you're wrong.

edit Also, looks like Arians might not be back next year. Interesting...that'd be the first major coaching change in the Tomlin era.

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Arians "retired" today. Some say he was forced out but I know he wanted to retire last year. It sounds like they are using him as the scapegoat on the crappy season. I won't say that I don't agree to a degree. The offense was kind of bland this year. I was so tired of seeing that wide receiver screen over and over again. I wish they would have ran the ball a bit more to open things up down field. Especially in the 2nd half of the season, Wallace pretty much disappeared.

20. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    This year was different. I think that Arians did a pretty decent job...certainly not bad enough to cost him his job. They got players that fit his system.

Wonder who the next offensive coordinator will be.

Walllace's disappearance was concerning...that said, I'd love to sign him to a new deal.

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    He can go where all great veteran players of this day and age go, for one last season or two. New England.

You heard the nightmare scenario here first! :p

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    [face_sick]

I think that I could almost be okay with Ward anywhere but there or Baltimore.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've never been much for the Arians hate. Yeah, he's not the typical "Steelers" Offense kind of guy, but he's been pretty effective. I doubt Ben develops as much as he has without him. He's been a big guy in helping Ben become an elite, and not just a very good, QB in the NFL.

As to Ward's landing spot, not just B'More and New England. Can't imagine seeing the guy with the Browns, either.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    He either takes the hometown discount or does where all NFL players go to die...The Raiders.

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I think that it has something to do with how under Arians, Ben has gone from being an elite quarterback to being just a very good quarterback. In 2009, he had a QBR of 100.5. In 2010, he had a QBR of 97.0. In 2011, he had a QBR of 90.1. Also, his play calling sucked. At some points this season, he was calling for throws on 3rd down more than 30 times in a row.