main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hitchhiker (Young Thrawn, Wynssa Starflare, Piett, Vader, Sebulba) AUTHOR'S NOTE 5/4 !,

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shezan, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthCuppa

DarthCuppa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2002
    >>"What's so prakking funny?"<<

Heh! Heh! Tables turned on the bully! :mad: [face_devil]

2. DarthCuppa

Jun 12, 2002
  3. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    As a regular at Djuva's The Storm, I guess I've been spoiled by the lengthy post per day. O Author, Where Art Thou?? *whines like a Skywalker* "More post! More post!" ;)

A question just hit me: What would Wedge do if he discovered that his sister once dated Grand Admiral Thrawn? Go blind in horror? Disown her? Retire from Rogue Squadron and write Women are from Naboo, and Men are from Nar Shadaa?

4. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    The Butler: As a regular at Djuva's The Storm, I guess I've been spoiled by the lengthy post per day. O Author, Where Art Thou?? *whines like a Skywalker* "More post! More post!"

Dear, dear Butler, you realize of course that you're holding me to an ideal as well as unrealistic standard? As NamelessAlien once said, Djuva writes faster (and usually better) than we beta . Evern if Darth RL didn't have me in its throes, there's no way I coud produce that proficiently...

A question just hit me: What would Wedge do if he discovered that his sister once dated Grand Admiral Thrawn? Go blind in horror? Disown her? Retire from Rogue Squadron and write Women are from Naboo, and Men are from Nar Shadaa?

ROFL! I love this! And sooooo true! :D :D :D

...well, Wedge's sister married his most dangerous adversary, Imperial Baron Soontir Fel, so I'd imagine the shock would be blunted somewhat. PLus, Wynssa never dated Grand-Admiral Thrawn - she dated junior lieutenant Thrawn, a very different proposition.

But also, as Stackpole never wrote the end of the Fel arc, we don't know where Wynssa hid and how Soontir found her; but the fact is that 20 years later Fel finds himself at the Hand of Thrawn complex with Thrawn's closest acolytes, Voss Parck and Dagon Niriz. So it's perfectly reasonable to assume that it's Wynssa who first found shelter with her old friend Thrawn, and that she was instrumental in bringing Fel back to the Empire... after all, the last time we saw him, he was a member of Rogue Squadron. Or at least, I can make it fly... ;)

Plus Thrawn is the kind of Imperial who still believes in some kind of military honor. His successor (and increasingly mimic) Admiral Pellaeon ends up allying the Remnant forces with the Wedge/Luke led part of the New Republic against the Vong.

Finally... you don't know yet how far this date will go, heh, heh...

5. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    I can see it already...the classic love triangle:

Ambitious but lonely Lt. Thrawn meets the woman of his dreams in equally talented but lonely Wynssa Starflare. Just when their love seems so right, ace TIE pilot Baron Soontir Fel falls for the stunning Starflare. Will true love triumph? Will Wynssa follow her heart or her head? Stay tuned for the next episode of Hitchhiker..."

6. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I can see it already...the classic love triangle: >>

Butler:

As an Anakin/Padme fan and writer, I tend to have an irrational fear of hearing the words "love triangle"...LOL

-Tim

7. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    I just discovered this story. :)
    I downloaded it and I'll read it later today.
    I read some of the comments regarding the Fel arc and I had to add my insight into this conversation.
    "Stackpole never wrote the end of the Fel arc, we don't know where Wynssa hid and how Soontir found her; but the fact is that 20 years later Fel finds himself at the Hand of Thrawn complex with Thrawn's closest acolytes, Voss Parck and Dagon Niriz. So it's perfectly reasonable to assume that it's Wynssa who first found shelter with her old friend Thrawn, and that she was instrumental in bringing Fel back to the Empire... after all, the last time we saw him, he was a member of Rogue Squadron.
    On the book site of theforce.net I found these books to be written after the NJO series. (2004)
    Unknown Star Wars Title #1
    by Timothy Zahn
    Unknown Star Wars Title #2
    by Timothy Zahn

Perhaps we will finally find out what happened to Wynssa. (Zahn is the author of TTT and HoTD.) Since there are usually multiple story lines in the books there would be an opportunity for the EU people to discover Amidala. Thrawn raided Obroa-skai and Wayland before the Vong destroyed the libraries so there is a possibility that he possessed the information. Just a thought.

8. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Zahn's writing TWO NOVELS!!!?? Woohoo!!!

Awww, why must it be AFTER NJO, why not before ANH? I want another Thrawn novel!!!!!!!!!

9. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    The Butler wrote: I can see it already...the classic love triangle:

Ambitious but lonely Lt. Thrawn meets the woman of his dreams in equally talented but lonely Wynssa Starflare. Just when their love seems so right, ace TIE pilot Baron Soontir Fel falls for the stunning Starflare. Will true love triumph? Will Wynssa follow her heart or her head? Stay tuned for the next episode of Hitchhiker..."

ROFL, but no, your timeline is off kilter here. Remember Fel, not yet a Baron BTW, comes across Thrawn when Thrawn is already an Admiral, after the Rand Ecliptic mutiny. We're seven or eight years before that, and Fel is a cadet on Carida. Wynssa (i.e. Syal Antilles) is Wedge's elder sister, by 12 or 13 years. Fel is far in her future.

:D

10. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    And now back to our favorite junior Imps...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What's so prakking funny?"

Rory Mikam's brain went blank for a sickening beat. He could predict clearly the nasty tantrum Theel would throw if he didn't manage to dig himself out of that hole fast, but his mind refused to function. He was still racking it when Thrawn's voice cut through, on a very different, angry tone.

"All right, that's enough. Give me back my datapad!"

A blue hand snatched his datapad from his still-uncomprehending grasp, and the alien hissed "You play another of these games on me and you'll regret it."

"This freak giving you trouble, Rory?" Theel started, menacing.

Understanding flooded through Mikam. He's making Per believe I was laughing at him, not with him. It was beautifully simple, and it had worked. Now I better return the favor and deflect the heat from red-eyes here.

"Nah, give it up, Per. I'm bushed, all I want is my bed."

"Wouldn't be no trouble. I've been saying for some time some people get too uppity for their own good."

"Lay it off already. I don't give a blast."

Theel's glare swiveled from his bunkmate to the freak. It was obvious he weighed the difference between jumping Thrawn with Mikam, and trying it alone. Thrawn stood his ground coolly, one hand idly tapping a few keys on the datapad. An instant later, Theel threw himself on his bunk with a scowl.

"You're a bloody wuss, Mikam."

"Whatever. Can you turn down the prakking light?"

Theel grumbled a bit more, but soon enough, the dorm was dark and quiet. Mikam was, in fact, close to slumber himself when he felt the touch of a hand on his arm. He nearly jumped before he glimpsed the two glinting red slits a meter or so from him and realized Thrawn, from the neighboring bunk, was silently handing him his datapad back. With the movement, the sleeping screen came alive. Quickly flipping it his way to hide the soft glare from Theel, Mikam reflexively cast a look at the display.

His astrogation problem was solved.

The blare of what sounded like a thousand sirens woke them in the middle of the night.

"What the frell--"

"Not another drill--"

As he was scrambling into his uniform, Mikam felt the dorm floor move slightly - not even a lurch, still unusual on a ship that size.

"No drill," he heard Thrawn say dryly while pulling on his boots. On his other side, Per Theel swore under his breath while burrowing under a pile of ballistics manuals for a clean shirt.

"Who'd be stupid enough to attack an Imperial Star Destroyer?"

"Someone either desperate, or who think they have a good chance against us," the alien replied calmly, clipping shut his uniform belt buckle, and in a departure from normal bridge dress regs, fastening a side-arm holster to it.

"How's a blaster gonna help you in a space battle, nerf-herder?" Theel guffawed. Without waiting to see how his taunt was received, he hurried out. Almost ready himself, Mikam glanced quickly at Thrawn. The thin blue lips stretched in the hint of a smile. "You never know what may happen in battle," the alien lieutenant said quietly.

And you look like you've learned this the hard way. Making up his mind in a flash, Mikam threw his locker open, grabbed his own blaster and pocketed it. Thrawn raised an approving blue-black eyebrow. "Shall we?"

11. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Smooth Thrawn! Very smooth! [face_laugh]

"All hands, prepare for boarding by hostile enemy force! Repeat prepare for boarding by hostile enemy force!"

Heh :D

12. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    Admiral Lelila: Perhaps we will finally find out what happened to Wynssa . (Zahn is the author of TTT and HoTD.) Since there are usually multiple story lines in the books there would be an opportunity for the EU people to discover Amidala. Thrawn raided Obroa-skai and Wayland before the Vong destroyed the libraries so there is a possibility that he possessed the information. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info! Are these NJO books or the prequel-time book Zahn said he would write about the Outbound Flight mission?

And I'd love to see Thrawn finding Amidala. Not that I expect Lucasfilm will allow it [sniffle].

13. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    This is a very interesting and original story. :)
    I really don't know what Zahn's books will be about but after reading you story I began to think about how the 'canon' story line will answer the reader's questions about Fel and Thrawn. Zahn's new books could be connected to Thrawn in some way because Zahn has been the dominant writer of Thrawn. It's just speculation on my part and perhaps a little wishful thinking. ;)

14. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    ... and a bit more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bridge looked normal, with nothing but an empty starfield beyond the far end viewports - but there was no mistaking the tension in the air. Mikam and Thrawn ran up the steps from the turbolift, taking in the state of readiness of the various teams at battle stations. In the starboard crew pit, the main turbolasers were already being prepped under the barked orders of Lieutenant-Commander Janred; but next to their bank of consoles, the shield modulators were still only attended by a harried-looking single lieutenant, probably the night duty officer. The port crew pit was similarly unequally manned. In theory, capital ships operated 24 standard hours a day. In practice, "daytime" was determined by the captain's own schedule - whoever pulled "night" duty, because they had less contact with the commanding officers, stood more remote from any influence they could hope to have with the chain of command. Some captains made a point of rotating everyone's schedules, starting with their own. Corlag wasn't one of those - in fact, Mikam noted with some surprise, it didn't even look as if he was on the bridge yet. So who--

But Thrawn had already spotted Commander Piett leaning over the shoulder of the tactical holo officer, tensely studying the repeater displays. He and Mikam hurried to the "Empire's Revenge's first officer, standing at attention two respectful meters from the tac station. Piett didn't move an inch for a couple of minutes. Finally he straightened up, turning a tired face to the two junior lieutenants. Mikam saw that it took him half a second to place him. Thrawn of course he knew at once. Figures.

"Mikam, Thrawn. As you can see, there's an unknown fleet out there half a light-second from us. One...thing the size of a Dreadnaught, two frigates, possibly fighters, all shields up, so they're obviously hostile. I want you to check on the readiness of our ion and missile crews. If they're undermanned, take command until the proper team leaders have shown up, and have them power up at once. Then report to me."

"Aye, sir." Mikam saluted smartly and made to turn, but Thrawn didn't move. "If I may, sir?" he said in that smooth, cultured voice.

Piett threw him a less than friendly glance. "Yes, lieutenant? Is this really the time?"

"I believe so, sir," the other replied, with a fractional movement of the chin at the tactical holo displays. "The enemy's configuration doesn't look complete. I wonder if they appeared on our sensors long ago? And much further than where they are now?"

Piett's eyes narrowed, but to Mikam's astonishment, he did answer. "No, in fact. They dropped out of hyperspace perhaps two minutes before the alarm was rung. Janred was the bridge officer and he raised me on the comm at once."

"In that case, sir, it's very possible that the rest of them is waiting to see how we engage these ships, and revert to realspace behind us to crush us in a pincer."

Piett snorted. "And assuming - assuming! - that you read the holos right, lieutenant Thrawn, what makes you think that the commander of this group would take the risk to confront an Imperial Star destroyer heads on with less than his full contingent? Without any possible coordination with his - hypothetical - remaining force as long as they stay in hyperspace?"

"Sir, they can revert to realspace at short intervals just to check on their timing. It doesn't need to be within range of our sensors."

Piett frowned. "It may not have occurred to you, lieutenant, that this is hardly the time for this kind of speculation. Yes, in theory your microjumps idea is possible, but it would be frelling costly just for a comm call. And we don't know who this fleet belongs to. Or if we're the ones they wanted so badly in the first place."

TBC...

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    LISTEN TO THE BLUE GUY YOU OVERGROWN SON OF BLEEP!!!

Runs screaming after all the Piett fans chase him with rubber lightsabers

16. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    Runs screaming after all the Piett fans chase him with rubber lightsabers

Your're a brave man, CmdrMitthrawnuruodo!

:D :D :D :D :D

17. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    And yet a bit more of Blue Guy and friends! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Piett frowned. "It may not have occurred to you, lieutenant, that this is hardly the time for this kind of speculation. Yes, in theory your microjumps idea is possible, but it would be frelling costly just for a comm call. And we don't know who this fleet belongs to. Or if we're the ones they wanted so badly in the first place."

And that's as much of a brushoff you'll get this side of being grounded, buddy, Mikam thought almost out loud. Couldn't Thrawn see he was asking for trouble? But--

"Sir, with all due respect - does this really matter?" red-eyes went on, as coolly as you please. "The question is rather whether they'll back off when they see we're Imperials. And" - another carefully controlled chin movement - "they don't act as if they will."

Piett's eyes swiveled from Thrawn to the holo display then back to where the two young men rigidly stood. "All right. I'm not saying I believe it yet, but show me what makes you think this. Fast, if possible."

"Aye, sir." The alien lieutenant stepped to the tac console and picked up the light pointer. "The two frigates - here - are staying aft and portside of the Dreadnaught, as if they kept to a diamond formation which should include a parallel flanking fore and starboard of the capital ship. But that side is empty - completely unprotected." The pointer's thin red beam of coherent light quickly jabbed at the empty space ahead and to the right of the Dreadnaught's round shape. "They haven't moved in the past five minutes, so we have to assume they're waiting in place. As you said, sir, they've powered up shields. They know we're here - no Duros would hold still otherw--"

"Hold it!" Piett snapped. "What did you say? A Duros?"

"I believe that's a Duros captain in the Dreadnaught, sir", the freak went on smoothly. "From the holo shadow, it looks closest to one of those Kuat capital ships that were decommissioned by the Republic fifteen years ago, and extensively reconditioned by the Duros government for a while--"

"Blast it!"

"Sir?"

Snapping his fingers for the two lieutenants to follow him, Piett ran to Captain Corlag's still-empty command chair, sat in, and flicked on the command displays. "Comm? What other Imperial ships can you locate within five parsecs? Mikam, give me a general weapons readiness status. Use this station. Thrawn? What do you know of this Duros Navy reconditioning? What armaments do they have?"

"Standard, sir? In most cases, they replaced the ion cannons by sublight torpedoes. Added heavy turbolasers. Sorosuub long-range hyperdrive docking rings for half a squadron of fighters, but Sorosuub doesn't maintain these any longer, so I don't expect they're all operational."

"Fightercraft?"

"Preybird-class mostly, but--"

"But we can't be sure they've not replaced that clunky old junk in the past 15 years, can we?"

The alien nodded. "Exactly, sir."

Jaws tensed, Piett was hitting keys rapidly on the captain's controls. "You see, lieutenant," he said without looking up, "we've known for some time of a Duros pirate working the Chandrilan Trade Spine with his own little fleet. If that's indeed him, your pincer theory is likely correct."

TBC...

18. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    HA! He listend to me!

Now where the bloody hell is Captain Corlag?!

19. DarthCuppa

Jun 12, 2002
    Yup, where's the good Captain???

20. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Admirable tactical references. Kudos.

21. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    Admiral_Lelila: Admirable tactical references. Kudos.

[bows] Thank you!!! That's a compliment I'll cherish. It's my first attempt at military stuff proper. I was mighty helped by having read David Weber's Honor Harrington series.

22. DarthCuppa

Jun 12, 2002
    Yayyy, a Honor Harrington fan! UP!!!

23. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    I'm not familiar with Honor Harrington ?[face_plain]

24. Shezan

May 14, 2001
    Admiral_Lelila: I'm not familiar with Honor Harrington

Oh, are you in for a treat! It's a military sci-fi series by David Weber which has been called "Hornblower in space" (and if you don't know Hornblower, RUN not walk to the nearest Barnacles and Nobrains to get "Mr Midshipman Hornblower." :D ) Anyway, the first book of the Honor Harrington series, "On Basilisk Station", is actually available online at Weber's publisher's web site, and you can download it for free at http://www.baen.com/library
    If you're interested in strategy, you should love it.

25. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Thanks, I'm saving your post for future reference. :)
    Presently, I'm following 22 writers on this board (you are #22) :D Also, my 16-year-old daughter wants me to read the novel that she has just finished.
    Her books belong in the Forgotten Realm with all original characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.