main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hmm, I wonder why... [Yoda's Theme on Cloud City]

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I was listening to the TESB soundtrack a little while ago, and noticed something. Odd, that I finally noticed this now after listening to the SW soundtracks for a good 2 or 3 years now, but I noticed that as Lando, Leia, Chewy, 3PO and R2 escape from Cloud City, *Yoda's* Theme is playing (even though it's in a 'battle tempo')! Now, I would imagine that JW would have used maybe a battle version of Leia's Theme, or maybe the Star Wars theme, but no, he chooses Yoda's!

Anyone have any clue as to why JW decides to use Yoda's theme at this point?

GK edit: Clarify title.

2. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    May not have been his idea. It was GL's idea to use Ben's Theme for the Binary Sunset in ANH, though the character hadn't even been introduced yet.

3. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    I don't know. I've noticed that JW puts some weird themes in certain places, such as Leia's theme right after BEN dies.

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Maybe to subconsciously remind you that Luke is still there, and Yoda was right. This is a dangerous time for him. The escape of the Falcon and Han getting taken away by
    Fett is pretty intense, and one might forget about Luke during this time.

5. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

"Ben's Theme" (or "The Force Theme") was used over the Twin Sunset because it represents the adventure Luke has longed for, and, as we know, awaits him.

The Force and Obi-Wan are the keys his distiny....

I still can't figure out why "Yoda's Theme" is played over scenes involving Lando, Chewie and Leia running around in Cloud City, though.

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    How about explaining why Parade of the Ewoks is heard during the Sail Barge Assault.

7. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    You know thats not actually the ewoks music, its from the concert version. Any way, yeah, it is a wierd placing of the theme, but why'd it take you so long to work out, Sithman!

It's also strange because no-one in that escape sequence has even heard of Yoda.

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Anybody actually read what I posted? ;)

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, I read it... I just don't agree. I think that he put it there, um, just because. Like Leia's Theme for when Ben dies.

10. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    From the booklet in the SE soundtrack for ANH:

Ben Kenobi's Death starts with the Force theme as the Jedi looks to Luke, then smiles knowingly at Vader before saluting his nemesis, forfiting the duel. Interestingly, Williams uses Princess Leia's theme at the moment Ben vanishes, deferring to the purely musical effectiveness of the sweeping melodyover any apparant thematic relevance, although the theme does reinforce the connection between the Princess and the old Jedi suggested by her holographic message..."

I'd bet the case of Yoda's theme while they're escaping is similar.

11. LordTion

LordTion Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    I think JW created two or three new themes for ESB... and they are not necessarely attach do the character they introduce. They are just there because their rythms is right for the scene.

Like the Palpy theme at the end of E1... yeah palpy is there... put the scene illustrate the reunion of Naboo and gungans...

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Uh, the usage of Palpatine's Theme at the end of TPM is totally different- it's extremely symbolic and foreshadowing (if you're savy enough to catch it).

Oh, and GasCabbie, I just read that particuular section of the ANH booklet a little bit ago and it seemed a little strange that even this musical analyst guy couldn't guess why JW (or maybe GL) decided to put it in there.

13. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    I thought that the guy made a pretty good guess, that Williams decided that Leia's theme was just more elegant and fitting for the situation. The trailing part of that quote is a little shady, you're right.

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    What you are referring to "Cloud City escape upbeat Yoda theme" is the best piece of music in all of Star Wars! It lasts for a few seconds but when you hear it and see it(the scene lasts for a few seconds in which the characters are running for the Millenium Falcon...Lando appears first in the shot) you know that Star Wars is indeed something incredible.

I AM UTTERLY ASTONISHED AT THE CLOUD CITY ESCAPE YODA BATTLE THEME

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    iv noticed that for a while. they also played that when luke was purcuing fett

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yah, that's when it starts to play.

17. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    maybe it's because luke and leia has a connection with the force and yoda is the only one else that has a theme that fits it well. obi's theme woudnt sound right for that fast of a tempo.

18. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    I've wondered about this too, and I think it's a mixture of what you guys have been saying.

I'm pretty sure that something like this was done with at least the acquiescence, but I believe more the demand, of GL. I think he wanted Yoda's theme playing while Leia escapes, because she's the "other" that Yoda has his hopes on, if Luke fails.

Since Luke has potentially ruined everything by facing Vader now, as far as Yoda is concerned, it's up to Leia to save everyone, including Luke, as it turns out.

That could be part of why Yoda's theme is used for the short time that Luke gains the upper hand in the duel.

19. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    I don't think Leia was the "other" at that point.

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I do. Why do you think otherwise?

21. Emperor_Dan

Aug 21, 1999
    I believe George Lucas actually had someone else be Luke's long lost sister. But he changed it for ROTJ.

22. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Someone else was Luke's sister? Hmm, let's see...

I suppose his sister could be Han, or maybe Threepio. Oh wait, if it was Threepio, and Anakin was the one who created Threepio, that would make Luke's sibling Threepio! Hmm, maybe his sister was Boba Fett? or How about Wickett? Or Jabba? Or Palpy?

Okay, seriously though. Who did you think George Lucas was planning all along to reveal as Luke's Sister?

23. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

Personally, I don't think *anyone* was supposed to be Luke's sister originally.

It seems Lucas came up with THAT idea sometime around 1979 or 1980.....

24. Lord_Erly

Lord_Erly Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2001
    Well, I think that Leia was supposed to be Luke's sister in ESB too.

Let's recall the scene...

Yoda says something along the lines of: "No, there is another..."
    Then the screen fades out...
    ...and fades in on Bespin, with *Leia* looking out of a window.

I believe that was done on purpose, showing "the other" right after Yoda mentioned him/her.

Does that make sense?

25. Darth_Potter

Nov 2, 2001
    thats just like the "but which one was destroyed? the master or the apprentice?" thing where they go cut right to palpy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.