main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hollywood Star, Media are picking Spiderman over AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_X, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_X

Jedi_X Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2002
    It seem that alot of people are picking Spiderman over the ATOC. Ever Hollywodd star are picking Spiderman, any poll that you go on they pick Spiderman or Twin Towers over ATOC. It look like ATOC is the underdog but after TPM was a big letdown and people are turing away from Star Wars. With no fast food prom and less hype, and EW have Spiderman on it cover and not Star Wars, it seem that everybody is againts George Lucas.

2. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    Yeah but us Star Wars fans know what really matters...a brand spankin new episode of Star Wars!

3. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Let the media build up Spider-Man, and then let them tear it down like they did with TPM. The media is has built up Spider-Man as being one of the biggest motion picture events in history-- let them find out May 3rd that its the story of a man wearing tights who saves people from crime.

4. Darth_Kyber

Darth_Kyber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    the reason why star wars isnt on the cover of ew is that it was on the cover like two weeks ago. two covers in two weeks. no magazine would ever do that. my two cents. i think that aotc will beat spiderman. when you think about it, it just looks stupid with that green goblin thing flying around. anyone agree?

5. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    I'm sure Spiderman will be a big hit and a decent movie, based on what the early reviews have sounded like. But it can't hold a flame to the monstrosity that is the Star Wars film franchise. AOTC will rule over Spiderman. Having said that though, I think its pretty stupid to pit two movies agianst each other. I like LOTR, it was great that it was able to tide me over until Ep. II, and now I'm looking forward to enjoying the LOTR and AOTC DVDs later this year, and then The Two Towers. The more good films that are made, the better.

In the end, I think that AOTC will make more money, be liked more by critics, and have a better public reception than Spiderman. That's just what I think though.

6. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    That's true, Harlowe.

There is no question money-wise, who will emerge the victor. If Ep. II were utter garbage (Can't believe those two words in the same sentence), which it absolutely will not be, it would still make more money than Spidey. This, simply, is due to the fact that it is SW. TPM criticism or not, people will go see this movie, plain and simple.

Fortunately and most likely, people will go see this movie, see how incredibly awesome it is, feel redeemed, and get the word out. It will generate massive amounts of money, following in the line of it's predecessors. As well it should.

In terms of the films themselves, you obviously cannot compare SW to comic book stories. That would be like comparing The Beatles to *NSYNC. They are different films, from different ends of the film spectrum.

However, despite the overdone Spidey hype right now, AOTC will have it's day. Spidey will be the talk of the town for it's two weeks. Then, it will, once again, become the reign of SW. IMHO, this "Spiderman is the movie of the year" will not last. We will have our day.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Good. I'm glad AotC isn't being overhyped. This means a lot of viewers will be pleasantly surprised by the coolness factor of an underpublicized flic and will see it again, contributing to Lucas' pool and helping us get closer to ousting the #1 grossing film of all time. :D

8. Bucky

Bucky Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2002
    I agree with you Queenie Amidala. Spider-man may come out with a bigger opening weekend gross. But I think that AOTC will have a bigger overall gross. If I remember right, didn't the same thing happen with X-Men? Big grosses for the first couple weeks and then a steady fall off?

I think AOTC will build up steam the longer it is out. It is my sincerest hope that word of mouth will spread how good AOTC is and more people will go to see it in the weeks after May 16.

Anyway, I just see AOTC having longer staying power than Spider-man. But I have to admit, I am looking forward to seeing Spider-man sometime opening weekend. I always loved the Spider-man comics (especially those penned by Todd McFarlane (sp?)). I thought the Torment series was awesome.

The only movie I see challenging AOTC for total world-wide Box Office numbers is LOTR: The Two Towers.

Bucky...out

9. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Spiderman will be a decent movie. But when it all comes down to it, it looks like it will follow the same plotline as all the other "comic book" movies:

Hero saves city and girl from Bad guy.

A movie like that can't compare to a movie that has such a dynamic storyline like AOTC or LOTR. Spiderman will get a huge opening but it will drop sharply upon the release of AOTC and it will probably continue to decline.

And I agree, we need more good movies like SW, LOTR and Spiderman and less crap like "Collateral Damage"! :D

10. yodaisjedimaster

yodaisjedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2002
    To All - I think any Sci-Fi movie, whethe rit be based on Marvel Comics, DC or the SW genre is cool! Let's enjot them all without comparing "apples to grapes"

:D

11. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    "To All - I think any Sci-Fi movie, whether it be based on Marvel Comics, DC or the SW genre is cool! Let's enjoy them all without comparing "apples to grapes"

Amen to that yodaisjedimaster!

Like he said, Sci-fi and comic book movies pretty much come from the same genre. Whether it's LotR, The Matrix, Spiderman or Star Wars the sci-fi genre is cool, so enjoy it all!

Who cares if Spidey is getting more hype? Spiderman is legendary in the comic book world, popular culture and it's fans, like me, have been waiting decades for a major motion picture to be produce so it's only natural for it to get this kind of hype. Be happy for Spidey guys, you know you love him and your as "hyped" to see this movie as our precious AtoC, well maybe I won't go that far. Even if Spiderman has stronger hype than Star Wars it's still not gonna stop the legion of loyal fans from seeing AtoC.

Queenie Amidala: Your comparison of Star Wars and comic book movies is laughable! :D Beatles and Nstink!? Are you kidding me? That comparison was way to broad. It's more like Beatles and the Rolling Stones. ;) Sure the Beatles are a better band but the Rolling Stones are legendary in their own right.

Star Wars is a super blockbuster event, and Spiderman is just a blockbuster. We know that Star Wars is the king but we really shouldn't underestimate the power of Spiderman and his popularity. ;)

12. Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi

Sumbudy-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    You said it, Darth Xero. Look at it this way. Star Wars fans have had FOUR movies about their favorite heros' adventures. Spider-Fans are about to have their FIRST one. Thus the hype. Spidey's been around far longer than Star Wars. Several cartoons have come out. A live action TV show. The character is a cultural icon and after years of legal hell, he's getting his movie.

However, lest I get run out of town, we all know AOTC is THE movie to beat.

When it comes right down to it though, as a young lad of 12 or 13 a decade or so ago, I would buy Spider-Man comics and Star Wars novels at the same time. I would enjoy my classic trilogy on video. I would enjoy my Spidey in comic books. I was in heaven. Nothing could top that. But now, in the SAME MONTH, there will be new movies about the adventures of BOTH of my two favorite childhood (and adulthood) universes. I only thought I was in heaven as a youngin. I wish every month was like this. Who really cares who has more hype, I'm pretty dadgum excited that I'm gonna be seeing a new Spider-Man movie AND a new Star Wars movie in the same month! Let there be no more bickering! Fans of the world unite!!!

Okay, maybe I'm getting a little over excited. You gotta admit it's pretty darn cool, though.

13. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    In the words of Tarkin "This bickering is pointless." Lets face it, Spiderman is coming out next week. Episode 2 is still 3-4 weeks away. I'm sure Episode 2 will get as much publicity as Spiderman is now in 2 weeks.

The more Sci-Fi movies the better. One movie that might be a sleeper hit this summer is Minority Report. The trailer looks cool.

14. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Spider-"Who"? ?[face_plain]

-Otis

15. Watcher

Watcher Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2002
    Get me some RAID and I will take care of that little bug.Damn cider house rules.........and all his would-be accomplishments!!!!!!Jedi can kick that radioactive ****er's butt any day.

16. JediProphet

JediProphet Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2002
    I just think this whole situation is hysterical, which will be the "hit movie of the summer" a Star Wars movie that looks like it'll blow away TPM, or a comic book movie that'll make us forget the incredibly lame Batman and Robin.

This summer, it's cool to be a geek :)

17. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Damn straight JediProphet. This is "the year of the GEEK" most definitley. :)

18. Padawan-kirky

Padawan-kirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    na most reviews have said aotc is the most anticipates theres always stuff bout it on theforce.net// spiderman will suck i dont even wana c that..itll be the biggest flop!
    bring on AOTC!!

19. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i like sam raimi but i wanted to see evil dead 3 not spider man lol i have nothing against spiderman but this movie looks like a rippoff of the comics. half of the scenes i know from the comics and kirsten dunst pisses me off she should be qwen stacy NOT marie!

it just looks realy......i dont have the words to describe it
    x-men was a good movie different enough to be worth my 10 bucks.
    the whole plot is shown int he trailer and i dought theres going to be many plot twists.

my prediction is that after AOTC comes out alot of critics and people who "sold" there star wars toys after phantom menace are going ot be sorry hehehe.

20. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Ehh, maybe it's just me, but I hardly feel Spiderman is getting more hype. Spiderman is coming out in a week, AOTC is later, that's part of the reason why it seems so. But still, I think by now, more magazines have used AOTC as their cover, and certainly only Star Wars is getting words on major non-entertainment driven publications such as TIME and Newsweek.

21. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I personally can't wait for Spiderman. From the trailers and the very positive reviews I have been reading from advance screenings, it looks like it's going to be awesome. But guess what? I can wait even less for Episode 2. Spiderman is going to be pretty cool, Episode 2 is going to be so cool that I don't have words to describe it. Why is it going to be better? Better plot, better actors, better effects, better action? I don't know. None of us know that until we've seen them both. To me, it comes down to these 3 words: It's Star Wars. That's it. It's Episode 2 for crying out loud! It's the penultimate SW movie, it's apparently going to learn from the mistakes of Episode 1, and quite simply, it's going to be brilliant.

But to say again what many others have said before, about this whole AOTC vs Spiderman, AOTC vs LOTR, AOTC vs whatever. I'm sick of it. They're all going to rock. Can't we all just get along?

22. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Please let's all get along. I mean, this could be the biggest summer in a decade! Spiderman and Star Wars coming out within a week of each other? And only six months after LOTR? We should be in geek heaven.

Don't worry about the money thing. SW will beat Spidey. There will be a lot of people who go see Spiderman, but no one like us who will see AOTC ten times in the theater.

But let's assume that TPM did kill some of the hype for the rest of the country. Now Spiderman is coming along, finally, and test audiences are going bananas for it. We've seen all the previews for it, and it looks fun. But a couple of sources who have seen AOTC say this one is great. Harry Knowles gave it a rave review, and the writer of that Time article seemed to have some nice thinks to say.

My point is: Spiderman is going to have a HUGE first two weeks, then drop to second when AOTC comes out, but still won't be far behind until the word of mouth that Star Wars is back on track gets out. That's when SW stays on top for a couple weeks while everyone forgets Spiderman. But that first weekend is going to set records between the two movies, I think.

Of course, my theory hinges around the fact that AOTC is actually good this time around. If it's as bad as TPM, the SW box office may be in trouble....

23. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Dudes who cares about hype and box office numbers anyways!? George Lucus is the only person who should care about it, after all he's the one making the money "not us".

24. DarthStew

DarthStew Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    Who cares if the media is picking Spiderman over AOTC. It will be that much sweeter when AOTC blows it out of the water.

25. FluukeStarbucker

FluukeStarbucker Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    F the media. When have they been consistently right? It's just backlash to the Episode I. I'm hoping Spiderman is great, but it has no chance against AOTC. All the better that those posers that didn't like the Phantom Menace and didn't see it as the first part of a six part story not go and see AOTC at first. I think there are more fans of SW than Spidey. When the Episode II toys came out last Tuesday, I went to go check them out at Toys R Us at lunch. There were 6 of us in our late 20's to early 30's standing there, feeling like a little kid again. That's what it's all about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.