main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Many CCG Players Would Prefer Classic Only Environments?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Restrainingbolt, Jul 12, 2002.

?

How Many CCG Players Would Prefer Classic Only Environments?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Classic Only (No Prequel Cards) & Prequel Only Environments

42.9%
  2. Leave the Game As Is_Prequel and Classic Together

57.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
  2. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    I curious about how SWCCG players feel about this issue given the Prequel environment now has a large enough card base to be a stand alone game. Should the Player Committee foster this separation, or should they promote the continued mixing of the two environments?

I know there was a lot of discussion about this issue before the release of Episode One cards. Personally, my son and I pretty much stopped playing with the advent of Episode 1 and the podracing and politics mechanics. The ultimate reason, I suppose, was the fact that just too many cards were released at the same time to try and keep up with.

Let us know how you all think.

R'Bolt

3. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    The problem with Episode 1 gaming is that because Decipher lst the license the game is up in the air for a while. I think the virtual cards could bring a bit of balance into play.

4. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I have to stay undecided on this one. I was strongly against including Episode I cards in the classic environment from a story-line standpoint, but it has made for some interesting gameplay.

I think I would support all three environments: classic-only, EpI-only, and open environment ... in fact, I'd like to see someone work on what cards would be legal in Ep4-, Ep5- and Ep6-only environments!

5. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Curious whay you mean by "legal" in the Classic environment (IV, V, VI). Wouldn't those be all the cards that don't have E1 or E2 expansion icons? Are there Classic cards (and I may be showing my ignorance here) which were released in Coruscant, Naboo and Theed that have those icons?

R'Bolt

6. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I mean instead of a "classic" environment where you can play any card without an Episode I logo...

...an "Episode IV" environment where you could only play cards primarily from Premiere and A New Hope...

...an "Episode V" environment where you could only play cards from Hoth, Dagobah and Cloud City...

...and an "Episode VI" environment where you could only play cards primarily from Jabba's Palace, Endor and Death Star II...

The problem with all that, of course, is how do you decide which Special Edition, Enhanced, Sealed Deck and Reflections premiums to allow in each of the environments... :)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm against classic-only enviuronments usually. Just because the card image and name comes from a prequel movie, doesn't make the gametext any less viabale. They could have just have easily done everything they've done in the prequel envinment in the classic environment (Skyhopper racing instead of podraces, for example). The more cards, the merrier::)

If one were to break down into film-only environemnts, you could just go by expansion icons (Hoth, Dag and CC =ESB, for example), and sort the SE and premiums accordingly.

8. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Interesting that you bring this up for two reasons:

1. Classic-only has been a huge hit in Connecticut and has enticed some of the vets to try the game again.

2. My August promotion will be a Ep-only promotion. I am very interested in seeing what the response will be.

9. Restrainingbolt

Feb 12, 2002
    Well I'd personally be interested in playing again with Classic only tournaments. The intent of the poll was to judge sentiment on how people felt about it. I would personally like to see:

Classic Only (no Prequel cards)
    Prequel Only (Episode One cards)
    Mixed Tournaments (Classic and Prequel)

I'd love to see all three promoted by tournament directors. I suppose ultimately the player base in the area would decide which format they preferred the most. I can say for a fact that Star Wars has picked up in my area significantly in the last couple of months. It's at the point where Wars Players and Rings players are competing for available table space at the Card Shop I frequent. :)

R'Bolt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.