main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index [How To Train Your Dragon 2 and Defenders of Berk Season 2]Defenders of Berk is HERE!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by mrjop2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I like the idea that the Avatar: The Last Airbender had, so let's do the same for How To Train Your Dragon!

Here is a place to hang out, talk about HTTYD movies, the television series which is coming, or anything else for that matter. If you have written a HTTYD story or drabble, feel free to announce it here!

Let's see some more HTTYD stories out there!

To get things going: I wrote a Vignette called: I also have an interest in writing an HTTYD epic that would take place shortly after the movie. I think I got a great story, but I just don't have the time to write it right now. The title of the story would be Trial By Fire. If I ever get the opportunity to write it, I will let you all know before hand and will go ahead and begin working on it.

Here is a list of HTTYD fiction so far on these boards.

One Shots, short stories, on-going (multi-post) one shots:
    Hiccup's Birthday Gift by mrjop2
    Moment of Weakness by mrjop2
    Random Viggies by Book-Geek
    Winter's Chill by mrjop2
    Love Letters by mrjop2

Multi-post Stories
    Trial By Fire by mrjop2
    The Outcast Lands by mrjop2
    Journey of the Night Fury by mrjop2
    How to Be a Viking Chief by mrjop2 (COMING SOON)

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I saw HTTYD on winter break, and thought it was so cute!! And I want my own dragon. (Well, I'm into fantasy. Of curse I want my own dragon 8-} )

jop's fic was fab, and I'd love to see some more HTTYD fans and fics around these parts!

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I LOVED How to Train Your Dragon. I actually rate it as one of the best films as last year. So good, and I was so excited to see a HTTYD fic on here as well!

4. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, I think I'm going to do it. I bought quite a few songs from the HTTYD soundtrack from ITunes, and have been playing them over and over again. I am now in the mood to try to make my HTTYD epic a reality. It's funny, it's the music that really puts me in the mood for certain fandoms. If I want to do a Star Wards story, I just listen to Star Wars soundtrack. I've done the same for Superman, and now it's HTTYD's turn.

already started doing heavy research, and some story boarding. Pretty much have the first 9 chapters planned, and the final battle all sketched up. I think it's shaping up very nice. A lot of action, humor, and very intense battles. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to start posting February or March.

Still debating on the title though. It's either going to be called Trial By Fire or Legend of the Shadow Lord

Anyway, do any of you listen to music to get you in the mood to write certain fan fiction? Me, I don't know if i could write a good fan fiction without listening to the music. When I wrote Hiccup's Birthday gift, I just played the romance flight song from the soundtrack over and over and over again. I just see an improvement in my writing when i do that.

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I am so glad that hard part of moving is over. Now, I can get back to writing.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I do that all the time. Usually it's by genre. Like, if I'm writing Harry Potter fic, I just put the soundtracks on. If I'm looking to write action, I'll have usually Pirates or Gladiator on.

I LOVE the HTTYD soundtrack. It is amazing.

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Woohoo, this site is back up!!! Man, I can't believe how the night drags without this Forum!

I can't believe that the HTTYD soundtrack did not earn any awards I think it's the best music that has come out in a very long time.

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Is it up for any Oscars?

9. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    A few nominations, but if the globes are any indication, they will go to either Toy Story 3, or Tangled. I have nothing against those two films, they were both really good, but I think Dreamworks finally made their first successful hit since the original Shrek. If they hand best score to The Scocial Network instead of HTTYD, then there is no hope for the Academy awards this year.

10. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Is it just me or are these boards really been struggling the last two days? I don't know if it's my DSL or if the problem is on the other end.

Anyway, keep an eye out this Friday, I will finally begin my HTTYD epic. There will be a PM list. I was going to title it Trial By Fire, but I have decided to go with the title: Flight of the Shadow Lord Dragon.

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The boards are having issues on IGN's end. That's why we're so desperate to move the boards. :p You can follow the progress and updates on stuff in Comms.

12. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I know I said Friday, but I could not wait... So let's just make this every Wednesday instead.

The length of the title: Flight of the Shadow Dragon proved to be too long, so I have gone back to the old title: Trial By Fire

Here it is, I have started the HTTYD epic: Trial By Fire

13. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    1One more year until the Cartoon Network unleashes: How to Train Your Dragon the series! With the Legend of Korra this year, and now this series and the coming Kung Fu Panda series also set for 2012, the next couple of years are going to be exciting!

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm not sure how I feel about a TV series, especially since there's a sequel (possibly two) coming.

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Cartoon Network puts out some really good animation, and from what I am hearing from the director, it's going to be awesome. It's going to be darker and more complex. They are aiming it for the young teenage crowd. That description definitely fills me with confidence.

Also, I read a comment somewhere on line that Toothless has a huge female following? Anyone want to comment on that? Is there any truth in that? Would the movie not have been as big as a hit with the ladies without Toothless?

For me, as a man, I have to agree with that statement completely. I think that statement is pretty much true for the men as well. I am totally glad they did not stick close to the book. The book has Toothless as a simple, garden dragon, and makes very few appearances in the other books. For me, what made this movie work was the chemistry between Toothless as a Night Fury and Hiccup. That makes this movie 100 times better than the book.

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I watched HTTYD last night for the first time - it provides a nice 1.5 hour break, eh? :p It was LOVELY! One of the most enjoyable animated films I've seen in a while (probably the most enjoyable since I saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs). I'm kind of feeling like writing some fanfic for it, but I'm not sure what - and I'll have to wait for school to calm down before I start anything long. The soundtrack is proving to be quite inspiration; I just bought it, I love John Powell! [face_love]

I have to say, I love Jay Baruchel even more now. A very fine Canadian actor there. [face_love] Voice acting can be a difficult form to adjust to if you're used to live-action or theatre, but damn, this film has a very good cast with excellent timing. I remembered the "Thanks for nothing, you useless reptile" line being on my friends' Facebook profiles for a while after the film was first released and I didn't really find it all that amusing - now that I've seen the film, I know why. The delivery of that line was hysterical (plus, in context, in makes a lot more sense)! :p :D

17. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Yea,jay is a good actor, I just hope he doesn't keep that Mohawk he sported in the behind the animation featurette. That haircut just does not do it for him. It makes him look like someone out of a Mad Max film. Anyone know if Jay is in the new Mad Max film that's being released? It would sure explain a lot.

If you need any ideas, I know of plenty of topics that could be done, other than the one that I am currently working on. One sample, someone can do a story about what happened to Hiccup's mother? Why did she die? Did she die in a dragon attack or of natural causes. If she died in a dragon attack, how did Stoick react?

Another idea is: does Snotlout ever get jealous of Hiccup being the eventual heir to becoming Viking chief? The two are cousins after all. Did that play a factor in Hiccup always being ridiculed before he met Toothless?

A few freebies there. I'm to busy with my HTTYD story to tackle those ideas.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Oh, I love Toothless [face_love] I want my own Toothless.

JB was awesome--it took me a while to get used to his voice (I haven't seen his other movies), but that useless reptile line was priceless :D

19. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    The oscars was a joke. How to Train your Dragon won absolutly nothing. Toy Story 3 wins best animated feature. Yes, Toy Story 3 was a good movie, but let's face it, the only reason they won the award is because they are Pixar. HTTYD was, in my opinion, better than Toy Story 3.

Not only that, HTTYD lost is musical score to the Social Network. That's blasphemy right there! Again, nothing against Social Network (it was a great movie) but it's music was composed of three or four musical notes. HTTYD's musical score was by far the best score of the year.

Anyone else think that the Oscars was a joke this year? The only thing I did agree with is the King's Speech winning best picture of the year. That movie definetly deserved all the awards it recieved.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I thought there were a lot of good wins. To be honest, I didn't expect HTTYD to beat Toy Story 3. I haven't seen the latter, but it got incredible ratings and was immensly popular. The loss to The Social Network was a surprise (at the very least, I didn't expect TSN to win).

21. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    It's Wednesday! I will have the next chapter up shortly.

I had just hoped that HTTYD would have won an award for the musical score. I don't understand how Social Network won. Of all the movies nominated, the most memorable score, to me, was HTTYD. John Powell was robbed.

22. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Not much news on How to Train Your Dragon 2, but Dreamworks has two animated features this year that looks cool: Kung Fu Panda 2 and Puss In Boots. I can't believe Puss is getting his very own movie. Actually, I think I remember hearing about that a year or two ago.

Still not much fan fiction on HTTYD here yet. I still have the only two, but I hope that changes. I would love to read some.

23. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Bummer, We'll have to wait until 2014 for How To Train Your Dragon 2. I guess it does take a long time to make these CG animation features, but still, I was hoping for something sooner.

This from someone who has watched the first one at least 100 times since being released on Blu-ray, but in all fairness, a good deal of that was for research for my stories. Still, to be able to watch a movie that many times without getting bored of it definitely speaks of how great the movie is. The only other movie that too me a long time to get bored with was Wall*E.

24. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I am already researching for my next HTTYD story. I've just decided on the name. It's going to be named: The Outcast Lands. I am excited about writing this story, because this time Toothless is going to fall in love.

I find the books to be a great inspiration for fan fiction, though the movie is a hundred times better. With such a difference between the two media versions, it really opens the door for some great fan fiction.

25. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I like your new idea for a plot - Toothless faling in love sounds like fun.

I finally managed to watch the movie a few weekends ago and loved it so much. Toothless was so cute rolling on the grass :D.

It is definitely among my favorites. My favorite is Wall-E, btw, but this is not far behind.