main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics A/V How're the Dark Empire 1 & 2 Radio Dramas?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CaptainHamYoyo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I love the Brian Daley dramas of the OT, and just listened to Smuggler's Gambit from Celebration 6, and really enjoyed that. So that got me wondering about Dark Empire, and wanted to see your guys opinions on it before spending the money. I've read the comics, so story isn't an issue.

How's the voice acting? How's the music and sound effects? Is it almost up to par to the Brian Daley ones?

General Immodet likes this.
  2. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's.... well, it's a Star Wars radio drama that wasn't done by Daley. In other words, the parts that I have listened to are more hamtastic than a swine farm. Though IIRC it's nothing compared to the TotJ or Dark Forces radio dramas.

3. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I only own Dark Empire I, Tales of the Jedi and Labyrinth of Evil. The Dark Empire has more scenes than the comic book, I think it is a bit better. The Tales of the Jedi Audio Drama contains Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon, The Saga of Nomi Sunrider and the Freedon Nadd Uprising, everything the comic books contain. Labyrinth of Evil is is OK, too, just a bit shortened.

I use to get Dark Empire II and Dark Lords of the Sith. There is also a new Thrawn Trilogy radio version, actually three of twelve volumes have been released.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Dark Empire audio dramas actually make Dark Empire kind of enjoyable, because they come without the strange artwork that series so loves. Whilst they really are not as great as the others (I blame that on the source material), they are an easy way to have Dark Empire told to you, without the risk of eye cancer. :)

5. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I did not know there was a Labyrinth of Evil radio drama. Was is available for sale?

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Wasn't there just a abridged Audio book of LoE? o_O

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tales of the Jedi audio dramas fix alot of the continuity problems in the comics.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't say how they compare to the Daley series but I like them a lot - not least due to the Emperor. Granted, he's no Ian McDiarmuid but who is save for the man himself?

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember the Dark Empire Radio Drama. It was pretty good. Used to get it from a library that was close to me. Haven't been in it in years.
    I would like to hear it again and see what the others are like.

10. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There are several German Star Wars radio dramas that are not aviable in Galactic Basic Standard: Labyrinth of Evil (Labyrinth des Bösen), Dark Lord (Dark Lord - Der Aufstieg des Darth Vader) and now the Thrawn trilogy.

ATimson likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    [face_laugh]

Gorefiend likes this.
  12. CaptainHamYoyo

Aug 18, 2011
    I'm sold. Got Dark Empire 1 from iTunes. I'm really enjoying it so far! It was awesome hearing BDW back as Lando(though still wondering why he didn't return for ROTJ). Also feels weird having some else as 3PO(though that actor did pretty good sounding like Tony Daniels).

I plan on eventually getting DE2 and the 2 Tales of the Jedi dramas soon. Hope iTunes makes the Thrawn trilogy available soon(also hoping Shadows of the Empire gets made eventually).

Thanks for all the opinions so far!!! :)

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    How could they not get the real one? His entire job is just to play C-3PO in everything.

14. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    There is no such thing as a Star Wars Radio Drama. One qualifying question: Were they ever originally broadcast on Radio?

A more accurate title is Audio Drama.

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Racist marketing again, some obscure human dialect gets audio book releases, but no Huttese to be found anywhere. :p

16. CaptainHamYoyo

Aug 18, 2011
    Well the OT ones, written by Bryan Daley, were broadcast on NPR in 1980, 1983, and 1995(for SW, TESB, and ROTJ respectively). So there is such a thing in that regard.

But yes, audio dramas are more accurate for the other ones(Dark Empires, Tales of the Jedi, etc), but I like calling them radio dramas for tradition of the classic ones.

17. CaptainHamYoyo

Aug 18, 2011
    Ed Asner speaks Huttese in ROTJ, does that count, lol

18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Someone is still talking about Dark Empire!
    Sweet...

19. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    This topic, much like Palpatine, is reborn! I got a bunch of the audio dramas in a Humble Bundle last year, having not experienced any (aside from Daley's great OT ones) before.

I just listened to the Dark Empire audio drama on a car journey yesterday (disc 1 as I went to my destination, disc 2 on the drive home) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It captures the feel of the comic so well.

Nick Jameson is fun as the Emperor, even if I was disappointed that his vocal performance didn't change when he moved to younger clone's body. I primarily associate John Cygan's distinctive voice with Solidus in Metal Gear Solid 2, but I didn't recognize him as Luke until the credits. Great work! And Billy Dee's turn as Lando, much like his Rebels appearance, made me want him back in the new movies.

I'll be making this journey on a regular basis, DEII is next. I don't have Empire's End though, does anyone know where I can get it? A quick eBay search failed me.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The DE audio drama is worth it alone for the scene where Palpatine narrates how Leia is pushing him off his bed and onto the floor.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It will be difficult. Empire's End was done as a bonus disc in the Dark Empire 5-CD Collector's Edition. It was murder to get years ago - I have a copy - so will be harder now.

SensationalSean likes this.
  22. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    Ooh, please post a photo of the Collector's Edition!

I'd love to see Disney revive the audio dramas and do the prequels/TFA.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Tensu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I managed to get a whole bunch of these audio dramas from Humble Bundle last year. I still need to listen to them. Hmmm, maybe I will after reading this. It is annoying that they didn't include EMPIRE'S END though.