main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I gotta defend these 2 scenes........

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by SW3TheHolidaySpecial, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lessa

Lessa Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    If GL wanted a "sensual response" from his audience, I think that was a very bad place for it. I mean, do you really want the audience to be filled with all sorts of sexual thoughts looking at a shirtless Anakin right before he indicates that Anakin is dreaming of his mother's torture? The juxtaposition does not seem quite right...

Can't they just put the shirtless Anakin somewhere else? Or, he could just fall in the lake and come out all drippy and clingy. (Oh, now I'm getting Pride and Prejudice imagery... ;) )

2. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    It's very Freudian, I will admit. This does not discount it as a viable story telling device, as is apparent from your "Oedipus" reference. Think about it. But sensuality does not necessarily mean sexuality, unless that's where your head is. A sensual experience can be lying outside looking at the stars, or taking a cool dip on a hot day. ETC. Love is a very sensual experience, not because it is SEX but because it inspires strong emotions and your senses are working on all four burners when you are with someone you love. Somebody look up the dictionary definition for "sensual" and post it here.

3. Lessa

Mar 19, 2002
    While sensuality does not mean sexuality, when the sensual scene it question is that of a half-dressed young man writhing in bed, the line between the two is considerably more blurred than in a scene of people looking at the stars.

I think GL could have found plenty of ways to be sensual without dragging in the sex.

4. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Perhaps so, but such as it is, directly following the very sensual scene with Padme dressed in her nightclothes, with her hair cascasding down.... You know his senses are on high alert when he lays down for the night. Then he begins to have a nightmare, the two sequences kinda meld into each other. That's one of his weaknesses--his extremely sensual nature. He's ruled by his feelings instead of the other way around. True? *nod nod nod*

5. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    From Merriam-Webster:
    Main Entry: sen·su·al
    Pronunciation: 'sen(t)-sh(&-)w&l, -sh&l
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin sensualis, from Latin sensus sense
    Date: 15th century
    1 : relating to or consisting in the gratification of the senses or the indulgence of appetite : FLESHLY
    2 : SENSORY
    3 a : devoted to or preoccupied with the senses or appetites b : VOLUPTUOUS c : deficient in moral, spiritual, or intellectual interests : WORLDLY; especially : IRRELIGIOUS
    synonym see CARNAL, SENSUOUS
    - sen·su·al·i·ty /"sen(t)-sh&-'wa-l&-tE/ noun
    - sen·su·al·ly /'sen(t)-sh(&-)w&-lE, 'sen-sh&-lE/ adverb

6. Lessa

Mar 19, 2002
    While I agree that Anakin is definitely ruled by his feelings, I don't see what, exactly, is supposed to be signified if his thoughts about loving Padme meld into worries about his mother. Unless, of course, it's one of those Oedipal things. ;)

7. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Lessa,

They are both connected in his fall to the dark side. Padme because he loves her. His mother because he loves her. No wonder he spends the next 30 years without a woman in sight.

8. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Dagobah_Dude,

Thank you for finding that and taking the time to post it. I would say many of those terms fit Anakin like a glove, and are quite indicative of the dark side. Makes sense to me that GL would begin conjuring more and more sensual experiences for Anakin, as he is being bombarded by the dark side with all kinds of temptations. The focal point being his weakness in controlling this sensual nature he has. We all have a sensual nature, but Anakin hasn't learned to control his at all. This'll be the direct cause of his fall. Agreed?

9. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    This'll be the direct cause of his fall. Agreed?
    We'll know for sure in three years, but I do think that his love/lust for Padme and also for instant gratification in his training will be a big part of it. It's going to be tragic; thank goodness the OT is there so that we all can know that it all works itself out in the end.

10. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Yes, that is indeed the only consolation we have. When I have an issue I need to deal with, I usually look to the examples where others have overcome their battles. The OT is a fairly lighthearted and fun example of just that. Episode III will be too sad. I've wallowed enough in my own mistakes. Watching someone else, like a great character, go through the trials of life and choosing wrong, will be a hard thing to see.

11. jacesolo1138

jacesolo1138 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    IMHO i didnt think the scene with Padme falling was that bad... it wasnt the best scene in the movie but it didnt ruin it. It would have been different if she landed on something harder than sand. And on to the Anakin scene. He's lying there moaning about his mom and all i want to know is where his hands were in that scene ;)

12. Lord-Gretzky

Lord-Gretzky Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't think anyone will deny that the main purpose of the nightmare scene is to show Anakin having a nightmare. However, Lucas could have shot it many different ways. Different angle, different set of sheets, hands on the outside of the sheets, shirt on, not sweating, not as much body movement etc. No one can disagree with that. However, just because the direct purpose of the scene is to show him having a nightmare does not mean there can't be more going on in the scene. Anyone who thinks Im saying he is supposed to be jerking off is a moron. HE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE JERKING OFF in my opinion. The scene's main purpose is not to be sexual or sensual in my opinion either. But all of that is there on a purposeful subtextual level I think. It's an addition to the scene that adds more depth to the charachter and the story. And BRESSON, George did say the "there's no giggling" line about the OT. However, did you see some of the stuff that Padme was wearing?!?! How does that work? It doesn't even matter because the scene isn't about him spanking it, it's about him having a nightmare.

13. Danny Torrance

Danny Torrance Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 13, 2000
    The first time I saw the movie, during the Anakin nightmare scene, an annoying Will and Grace couple who had been vocal and excited in a show-offy sort of way the whole time started laughing hysterically at this scene all by themselves. Then a child asked, "Why is that funny?" Then the woman had to get up and take a bathroom break, she was laughing so hard.

People see what they want to see, esp. when their minds are racing at all the ideas that the love story and the sight of Anakin and Padme falling in love conjures up in their imaginations. Ultimately, with all these hormones racing from Anakin AND certain members of the audience, we see that there is something more important and troubling he has to deal with at that time, which is why he then says to Padme he has to leave her and see his mother.

I agree- Padme ran funny after she got up on Geonosis, like it was "running on sand" acting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.