main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I, Jedi," by Michael A. Stackpole [Bantam, 1998]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"I, Jedi," by Michael A. Stackpole [Bantam, 1998]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

62.4%
  2. 9

11.9%
  3. 8

11.4%
  4. 7

3.3%
  5. 6 (Average)

3.3%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.4%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/ijedi_.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "Corran Horn was an officer in the Corellian Security Force before casting his lot with the New Republic. As the grandson of a legendary Jedi hero, he has latent Force powers that have yet to be developed. But he has managed to distinguish himself with Rogue Squadron, the X-wing fighter force that has become the scourge of the Empire and of the pirates that prey on Republic shipping.

When a new pirate band begins terrorizing the space lanes, Rogue Squadron seems at last to have met its match. Led by an ex-Moff in an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, the pirates appear uncannily aware of the squadron's plans and tactics, and are able to detect and escape even the cleverest ambushes. Either there is a security leak...or the pirates have access to a dark and unnatural power that only a trained Jedi could contend with.

Then Corran's wife, Mirax, vanishes on a covert mission to locate the pirates' secret base, and Corran vows to find her. He begins Jedi training at the Jedi academy, hoping to develop his untapped powers. But as he grows
    dissatisfied with Luke Skywalker's methods, he will break with the academy before his training is finished.

Calling on his Corellian undercover experience, he infiltrates the pirate organization. His plan is daring and dangerous. He will learn what he can, sabotage what he can, and use every means possible to find his wife. And his very survival may depend on a terrible choice--whether or not to surrender to the dark side."

TheForce.net Book Review for I, Jedi.

3. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Excellent, well written book by Michael Stackpole. It was cool to read a first person novel about how Corran Horn finds his wife and during that time he also finds himself. I enjoyed having a different perspective of the humble beginnings of Luke's new Jedi Academy on Yavin IV. Overall it was an excellent book.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

Best Stackpole novel.

-Evan

5. Aiur

Aiur Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2003
    I found Stackpole's use of 1st person to be a nice change from the standard 3rd person in the Star Wars universe. Corran's perspective on everything added an interesting twist (especially in regards to the academy).

I couldn't put the book down, and gave it a 10. Definitely one of my favorite Star Wars books.

6. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    A novel all about me, in the first person perspective. I suppose my view on this would have been slightly lower i I weren't such a Corran Horn fan... The whole different perspective on the Jedi Academy Trilogy was incredible, althoughI would've liked it better if Corran had contributed a little more to it.

10/10, also, the cortosis ore tie in with the HoT duology was good, although a few more tie-ins would've been better.

7. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001

By far the best SW book I've read so far.

8. LordExar

LordExar Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2003
    The Jedis destroy me:(

9. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    10 - Without a doubt, my favorite EU book to date. M.A.S. did an interesting twist with the first person story-telling, but after the first few chapters, I simply loved it. Corran's insertion into the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy was great, and it was very intriging to see his interaction with some of the pivotal characters: Exar Kun, Kyp Durron, etc. M.A.S. did a brillant job mixing space battles, ground-based action, and a truly wonderful story-line all together to create one magnificent book.

~Corran

10. DreamKingMorpheus

DreamKingMorpheus Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003
    Overall, I thought it was a good novel. I was kind of hoping it would get right into the Jedi aspect of the story, because it took me a few trials to wade through the first 100 pages or so, but once Corran made it to Yavin, things started getting good. What I also appreciated about the novel: the fact that it was a good solo "Star Wars" novel. Thankfully Del Rey has picked up that we fans like single novels. It makes things a bit easier to keep track of. *Cough*"NewJediOrder's"toolong*Cough*

11. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    8 of 10

While I liked this book, it didn't reach out and grab me the way some of the other novels have. I did like Horn's interaction with Luke.

Unlike some of the other fans' opinion I didn't care for the first person point of view and that's one of the reason's I couldn't give it a nine or a ten.

12. Jedi_Matthias_Concor

Jedi_Matthias_Concor Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2003
    9-10

This book gave great insight to the character of Corran Horn. The inside of his head is very complex. However, the book makes Luke look like a wimp and a philosophical idiot. I don't think Luke would be so indicisive. This idea is portrayed throughout the EU.

Other than that, good stuff.

13. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    Had its moments but... Can't stand Corran. Too smart-ass, and not in a good way. The sexual references made me wonder if this was written by Barbara Hambly. Corran justified his past sex life very poorly. Not surprised he more or less cheated on his wife (I do think kissing is a form of cheating, and Corran did admit he wouldn't have stopped it if he could have).

14. doggz41

doggz41 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2003
    well, im new to the forum so i decided to post on this topic because of all the books ive read only 1 compares to this fantastic book and that is shadows of the empire. corran horn in my opinion is the greatest character in the SW universe and stackpole is the man for bringing him into being. since the scale only goes to 10 im restricted to giving him a 10, however i feel he deserving of a higher rating. and to all the haters out there...
    HOW DARE YOU!!!

10/10

15. Estelita

Estelita Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2001
    You need to give me reasons. Saying that Corran is great and "how dare you" to people who don't like him aren't reasons. (never mind if your aim was not to convince)
    I certainly do dare to have my opinion.

16. doggz41

doggz41 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2003
    if you would like reasons for his greatness then here we go. first off hes an expert at espionage(probably misspelled) from his time with CorSec, next hes one of the top pilots in rogue squadron, the top fighter squadron in the whole galaxy plus hes decended from a line of corellian jedi and with his superb command at projecting images into others minds makes him especially dangerous at all 3 fields in which he excels. if that does not make him the greatest SW character ever then i dont know what does.

17. Jedi Novaga Sage

Jedi Novaga Sage Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 1999
    "if that does not make him the greatest SW character ever then i dont know what does."

This has nothing to do with the thread besides the fact that it is your opinion that he is and people can argue you you are wrong... just two words....Luke Skywalker or two more...Darth Vader....just a suggestion that they may be of greater importance to many fans...

18. doggz41

doggz41 Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2003
    its true that it is my opinion but i only gave reasons because estelita asked for reasons. and once again in my opinion luke tends to act like a wuss at certain points so it diminished his "cool factor" and as far as vader goes, hes a bad mammer jammer but unfortunatly dies. next on my list after corran horn is boba fett then mace windu and han solo. once again these are my opinions so dont flame me.

PS. i know its off topic, sorry about that, last one i swear.

19. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    One of Stackpole's greatest strenghts is his ability to add a new dimension to the Star Wars universe in a way that complements the existing continuity. The Rogue Squadron series offered a grittier and much more human look at the war. The non-movie characters have more room to develop, but are naturally more vulnerable. When they get into a dangerous situation, there is always a risk of death, which is a feeling you rarely get with major movie characters like Luke or Leia.

These strenghts are precisely what makes I, Jedi so fantastic. The reader is placed inside Corran Horn's head during a pivotal moment in his life. As readers of the X-Wing series will know, Corran is a very strong character with a clear set of beliefs and ideals. This is our chance to see his interpretation of major Expanded Universe events, such as the foundation of the Jedi Academy. Stackpole offers a fresh approach to this event, without taking away from the original material.

This book could easily be considered a "course correction" to make up for the Jedi Academy novels, and this could very well be the intention. However, the characterisation is so strong that this impression does not last. When Corran criticises Luke on his running of the Jedi Academy, it doesn't feel like Michael A. Stackpole critcising Kevin J. Anderson, but the principles of one established character conflicting with another. For those who enjoyed Anderson's trilogy, this book expands the story with a new perspective. Those who disliked them will like I, Jedi for the same reason.

In conclusion, it's late, I'm tired, and you really need to pick up this book RIGHT NOW. That's capital letters for emphasis, people. One of the Expanded Universe's finest moments.

20. MtMan900

MtMan900 Jedi Youngling

Nov 14, 2003
    1/10

I haven't finished the book yet, but let me tell you, the way that this guy had the audacity to insert Corran Horn into all the important moments in the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and had him do a lot of important things... ie, pull someone out of the spa, shoot down 4 of Exar Kun's creatures, almost stop Kyp, gets taunted by Kun (and the first time he is taunted, it is one of the silliest parts of the book... "Please be bad?" "No!" "Pretty please?" "Well.. NO!"... not like Kun at all), giving Luke shakedowns at every turn all the while seeming to be right...

I am sorry, this was a silly book. I guess it would have been better had it been written before the JA trilogy, but, all in all, still doesn't capture me with how Film Noir Corran is...

well, that's all of my things, cya

21. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    A 6, the book sorta lacked action, and had a few slow points.

I liked bacta war and the krytos trap much better.

22. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Just finished it this morning, loved it.

9-10

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999

Stackpole hit his peak with I, Jedi. Until Traitor came out, this was my favorite SW novel. The first-person POV is a nice change from the other books, and it flows so well.

24. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003

UGH!!!!!! Corran Horn needs to DIE!!!!!!!

The one good scene in the entire book: Exar Kun kicking Corran's butt in the Sith temple, and Mara coming to the rescue.

Scenes I could do without: 99.9% of this book.

Second-worst EU book ever, right after the odious Vector Prime.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Great book. Will not give it a 10 cause while Corrans ego does not bother me. Its the fact that Stackpole always has him as RIGHT. Now thats annoying.The idea he could beat Luke in a Lightsaber fight in laugable.
    Also the ending does not make sense he could do more good in Rouge Squadron than as a Jedi Knight HUH !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.